TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

^the sports bar is now open and looked pretty crowded. They have a full bar with flat screen tvs.

Awesome! They looked so far from done 2 weeks ago. Glad it is open in time for Spring Break.

Is the interior completely different now? I loved the old south details in the finishes of that place.

Thanks thanks and more thanks guys! Sorry to keep asking questions - I just like to have a plan, or at least options and know what I'm getting myself into, especially doing all of this alone. I don't even go to my home park alone. Ha! I'm simultaneously super excited and for lack of a better description "approaching with caution". I know park days never go perfectly as planned, I just want to make sure I get the most out of my day and don't run into any major issues. All of your insight is very helpful and what makes TPR so great.

And yes! I noticed the Wendy's down the street and yes since I am likely taking a mid afternoon break I was thinking of just getting lunch there to avoid park food, but I'll see how that goes. Its also a good option for late night snacking after the park closes, something I can bring back to the hotel to avoid paying for some sort of janky room service. Speaking of which - how is walking around down there outside the park along that strip of hotels/Wendy's/etc at night? I'm a big dude (6'2 240) so I'm not really concerned but I have absolutely no idea what the neighborhoods around the park are like.

^The neighborhoods around the park are not that great, but luckily the park is pretty walled in between I-20 and the Chattahoochee River, and in all honesty the access road between the park, your hotel, and Wendy's, is just fine. There will be enough people from the park around. If you left the park late it might be a bit sketchy but generally that road is populated with people and not really a part of the community. It's almost as if Six Flags owns the road. A few people did get shot at the MARTA bus station there a few years ago. Overall I've done the walk to Wendy's many times and felt completely safe. What I do not suggest is venturing off beyond these places, especially late at night. There really isn't much to walk to anyways.

Also, if you aren't in the mood for Wendy's, there is a big complex that just opened beside the Wendy's that is a mix of a gym, food, and even games I think. I really don't know what it is all about or if you need a membership to go in but it is kind of like a food and activity "mall" of sorts.

SO glad Goliath is back to 2 trains.

Sundays are always better than Saturdays. Still busy but the first 2 hours are great. I went a few Sundays ago and Great American Scream Machine was walk on with empty rows and endless re-rides for the first 2 hours.

Waiting patiently for the official announcement on Ninja coming today! (We basically already know most of it but still).

^I was hoping we would get a name and details on the track work, any new themeing, pics of the train, something. Oh well! Still nice to see. I kind of hope they keep the Ninja theme and name but with the new color it makes sense to change it I guess. I just hate to see the cool entrance sign with the ninja statues go to waste.

Went to the park this morning to take advantage of the light Sunday morning crowds. Had a great time, and was well-pleased with the operations (huge difference from Opening Day). More often than not, they would dispatch a train on Goliath before the second one had even hit the brake run. I really like the way they open Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone before park opening, and I really enjoyed my rides on both. Mindbender was better than I remember it too. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for GASM. Was out the door by noon with a dozen laps. Short and sweet.

Went to the park this morning to take advantage of the light Sunday morning crowds. Had a great time, and was well-pleased with the operations (huge difference from Opening Day). More often than not, they would dispatch a train on Goliath before the second one had even hit the brake run. I really like the way they open Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone before park opening, and I really enjoyed my rides on both. Mindbender was better than I remember it too. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for GASM. Was out the door by noon with a dozen laps. Short and sweet.

Sounds like an awesome quick visit!

Where did you ride on GASM? The middle row of any car is fine, and the front of any car is almost as smooth as the middle, but the back row of the cars are horrendous. I usually ride front of the first car or front of the back car and both usually produce great airtime filled rides that are only slightly rough at the bottom of a few hills. I will admit it runs better later in the day usually though.

I always ride bad experiences on GASM surprising as I find it to be one of the smoothest wooden coasters in the chain.

^^ I can't say for sure, but it very well might have been the last row of the second to last car. My wife and I just moved to Georgia about 6 months ago so I'm not too familiar with it. The last time I rode GASM was a few years ago and I remember it being decently enjoyable.

Goergia Cyclone in the back row almost tossed me from the train coming out of the second turn around. A very pleasant surprise.

I was there Sunday as well, great day with low crowds in the morning. The one thing I noticed this trip was Ninja's not the only re-themed coaster they're rolling out this year. As we were walking by the super friends area I noticed Wile E Canyon Blaster was partially a different color. It looks like it's becoming the Joker Funhouse Coaster. I know this isn't an e-ticket ride, just thought it was interesting that the renaming/rethemeing is happening at the same time as they're working on Ninja.

I'm sure this is discussed throughout this thread and forum, but before I dive into it more, I thought I'd ask it here first.

I haven't been to SFOG in a dozen years or so and my 10 year old sister has been begging me to take her, so we will be going tomorrow. I had a couple questions I wanted to ask to make our experience as memorable as possible.

1) How will the lines be tomorrow? I'm pretty sure most of the state has had their spring break, with a lot from my area having it last week, so I'm hoping lines won't be too bad during the school week.

2) Are there any good deals on tickets/parking out there?

3) I think the last time I went Batman was the newest ride, what are some must ride rides there now?

4) Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I plan on going through the thread after I post this so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules or for being repetitive. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

^^ I can't say for sure, but it very well might have been the last row of the second to last car. My wife and I just moved to Georgia about 6 months ago so I'm not too familiar with it. The last time I rode GASM was a few years ago and I remember it being decently enjoyable.

Goergia Cyclone in the back row almost tossed me from the train coming out of the second turn around. A very pleasant surprise.

Definitely try it again and sit in the middle of any car. The middle of the last car provides some airtime similar to what you experienced on Cyclone (except smoother and more sustained, but still ejector worthy). I think you will find the ride to be one of the best in the park in that seat. You will still feel a few jolts in the track at the bottom of the hills after the turn around but nothing painful.

Georgia Cyclone is an ejector monster in the back car, especially at the point you mentioned. The progression from RMC topper track, to new wood, to old wood is disappointing as you go through the ride though.

Oh man I'm getting so stoked for this weekend, this week at work is draaaaaaging. Weather is looking good for Saturday with slight chance of rain in morning, turning nice by noon, partly cloudy. AKA perfect. I expect it to be reasonably crowded but as mentioned a bunch I'm prepared to handle that PFP style. Again, if anyone wants to meet up and share a ride, beer, or a hello just message me through here, I'll check in on Saturday from the park.

Oh man I'm getting so stoked for this weekend, this week at work is draaaaaaging. Weather is looking good for Saturday with slight chance of rain in morning, turning nice by noon, partly cloudy. AKA perfect. I expect it to be reasonably crowded but as mentioned a bunch I'm prepared to handle that PFP style. Again, if anyone wants to meet up and share a ride, beer, or a hello just message me through here, I'll check in on Saturday from the park.

Tomorrow is the big day, looking forward to your report. I'll be there the following weekend.

I was going to be at the park tomorrow for the Spring Fling event but I forgot to register.

However, I will be there tonight for UGA Night.

If anyone wants to go to UGA night, it looks like you can just buy your own guest pass on the website for 30 dollars. I've done this before and they have never checked to see if I am with the school or a guest of someone with the school.

The event is 6pm-12am. Hopefully it won't be crazy crowded. In the past, it hasn't been, but last year it was a bit busy.

So ready for night rides on Goliath, Mind Bender and Scream Machine!