TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Attraction for Belmont Park

During a visit to Belmont Park this weekend, I saw that this new flat was being installed right outside of the entrance to the Giant Dipper and in front of the ticket booth. It is really small, (looks like it holds 4 passengers) and I've never seen one before. Can anyone tell what this is?

1.jpg.6d5c8181bb7b07fbde53f265c0178608.jpg

Hmmmmmm....

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^The one at Belmont has 2 sets of seats, but other than that it looks pretty much like the same ride type. I was there last week and they had some guys working on the install, but by time I made my way over to ask questions they were gone. It's very small, but if it spins like it looks it might be fun. Actually, looking at it i was wondering if I would even fit in the seats, they look tiny.

I rode one of those miniature Moser top spins at Dania Beach a few months ago, and let me tell you...it was one of the most insane contraptions I have ever been on. Though small, it packs an incredible punch, and the ride probably gets even better when you become familiar with the controls. (There are buttons you press that control every movement of your ride vehicle.)

I'm glad to see that Belmont Park has invested in a higher-capacity version!

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I had to take my Girlfriend to the Airport ( ) and had some time to kill before I had to be at work (SeaWorld) so I stopped by Belmont Park to check out Control Freak.

The ride is still not open yet! But hey, I can take some pictures of it... With my cell phone

1409083117_Photo0135(Medium).jpg.588a30c3eec542fd1cb9ef71ccaeb022.jpg

Overview

1660630863_Photo0134(Medium).jpg.d29d9aab758de8c90756458d42aec733.jpg

Car Shot

82451692_Photo0133(Medium).jpg.7eae5370aee539530d00e782fa374dba.jpg

Signage

Translation: 5 Tickets = $5.00

879201226_Photo0137(Medium).jpg.79898d3c9262d337b1cd9081f405e87e.jpg

Height Requirement Signage

995958455_Photo0136(Medium).jpg.edf335521f4f825e89bbb1e978ba7026.jpg

Even More Signage

940502795_Photo0139(Medium).jpg.761ddbac08f0d8c68177c94cccb44eff.jpg

Side Car and Arm Shot

1913209250_Photo0138(Medium).jpg.2694fbaaff0c8e9efdc907f14b26b70b.jpg

And it wouldn't be complete without a Nerd Shot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like Belmont Park is getting a Chance Unicoaster that will be installed by the end of 2010. The Chaos is being removed.

Chance Unicoaster for Belmont Park

Belmont Park adding a third thrill ride this year

It's been a busy year for Belmont Park and it's about to get busier. By the end of 2010, the San Diego seaside amusement park will have added three attractions that bundle big thrills into small packages while putting visitors in control of each experience.

The prototype Octotron flat ride, which will make its debut by the end of the year, will simulate a looping roller coaster experience over an undulating Himalayan-style track.

Sitting two abreast in roller coaster-style seats, riders control the forward and backward direction of a spinning car as it rotates around a circular course. If looking at the garish green, yellow and red beach-ball theme of the ride doesn't make you sick, then the potent "twin-spin" effect certainly will. The nauseous need not apply.

Ride manufacturer Chance Morgan earlier this year installed the first of these rides, known as a Unicoaster, at Nickelodeon Universe in the Minneapolis Mall of America.

Belmont Park hopes to open Octotron in time for Christmas, shooting for a Dec. 18 debut. I can't wait to try it. Octotron will take over the location now occupied by the Tilt-A-Whirl, which will replace the departing Chaos ride.

This summer Belmont Park opened the Sky Ropes Adventure course and the Control Freak thrill ride.

Sky Ropes Adventure is an elevated ropes course in which climbers, tethered by a safety harness, navigate over, under and around a series of obstacles. I tried a version of the ropes course last year at the International Assn. of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) show in Las Vegas. I had a great time traipsing up teeter-tottering staircases and across tightrope-like bridges. The best part was that I could plot my own path and set my own pace.

The first-of-its-kind Control Freak thrill ride lets riders in the twin cars stop and start the spin of their cars with the push of a button. Control of the spinning ride switches from one car to the other halfway through the ride. Once again, this one's not for the faint of stomach.

I tried a prototype version of the ride at IAAPA and once was enough for me. The ceaseless spinning made me feel like my head was going to fly off my shoulders.

Belmont Park recently closed Control Freak after the ride's safety restraints inadvertently released while riders were on board. Nobody was injured in the incident, amusement park officials said. Control Freak will remain closed until Moser's Rides, which manufactures the ride under the name Gyro Loop, inspects it and adds safety redundancies over the next few weeks, officials said.

Edited by larrygator

• 7 months later...

X2coasterfreak and I went to Belmont Park tonight, and Control Freak is awesome! It's one of the only rides where you can use skill to have a better time. Tonight, we figured out how to flip the ride many times in a row, inspired by the 107 flips on that German TopSpin. Here's a video we took of our attempt (we start off on the top). It's very dizzying and hard to keep it flipping, especially because you're controlling it while you're flipping. In our time controlling it (which is a minute per each car), we managed about 25 flips.

• 2 months later...

Quick question... why is Octotron listed as CLOSED in the park index? I was just there yesterday and it was running perfectly!

MOD EDIT: Fixed in the Park Index, sorry about that.

Edited by larrygator