TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Pndol (Pèndol) Tibidabo collapses - 1 Girl Dead

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've added a few more photos to the first post of this thread.

Just frightening that something like this could happen. To put at least some positive thinking out there, this is at least a very freak accident, as it's not often you see a complete ride failure down to the base tower, so please don't let this very out-of-the-ordinary accident stop you from riding. It's not something that happens very often and the odds are in your favor.

--Robb

Done a check and it is the same as the one on Brighton Pier heres a pic of that one which shows the layout from a distance so you get an idea on the size of this ride

We've got a similar spinning ride to that tower on the far right here at the PNE. There's a reason so many rides spin-helps to balance the forces out.

True, this rarely happens. But, it does show that not all rides are built equally. I would guess the ride in England is history, and I would be leary of all Fabri rides. If a ride just doesn't look structurally sound, skip it. If I get a trip to China with work, which looks pretty likely, I will skip many of the Chinese coasters for that reason. Remember, we had another failure in China just a few weeks ago.

-RO

Of course this kind of accident is an exception...but anyway something like this should NEVER happen.

Makes it alot harder for me to get on this kind of ride in the future...sad but true !

George "want this kind of ride to be totally safe though it`s unrealistic" T.

Of course this kind of accident is an exception...but anyway something like this should NEVER happen.

Makes it alot harder for me to get on this kind of ride in the future...sad but true !

Of course something like this should never happen, but things like this DO happen. Not just with amusement rides, but with ANYTHING - Airplanes, automobiles, construction cranes, elevators, shopping malls, etc, etc...

As theme park and roller coaster enthusiasts I think we should be trying to SUPPORT the industry instead of saying things like "Makes it harder for me to get on this kind of ride again in the future."

That's the kind of statement I'd expect the "general public" to say, not a more educated person who is part of a community who should KNOW BETTER about these kinds of things.

And something that everyone needs to keep in mind - as horrible as an accident like this is, every time something like this unfortunately DOES happen, it actually makes the world of amusement rides SAFER because there will be investigations and findings from this accident that will be applied to future rides of this kind.

This accident would not stop me from getting on another ride exactly like this one again. Because I know the chances of this happening a 2nd time is very unlikely, and even if it DID the odds are still WELL in my favor.

That's like saying "I'm never going to get on another airplane again" after hearing about a crash. Well, here's the reality of the situation - Never getting on an airplane again might guarantee you'll never die in an airplane crash, but all you've done is rule out the one of millions of possible freak accidents that *could* happen to you.

My advice to someone like this - don't ever leave your house...and hope that an airplane doesn't crash into it!

Wow, this is some really scary news! My thoughts go out to the families of the victims...I've been on Fabbri booster-type rides lots of times and I visited Tibidabo just last May. I didn't ride this back then because the line was way too long but still... This ride was built in 2006 and it's not a ''special'' or ''one-of-a-kind'' ride, and that's what makes it so scary. I just hope Tibidabo doesn't get blamed for this because it's a really great little park and I just can't imagine them doing poor maintenance or anything. Also, I was just wondering, were there any other accidents on Fabbri rides in the past?

I just hope Tibidabo doesn't get blamed for this because it's a really great little park and I just can't imagine them doing poor maintenance or anything. Also, I was just wondering, were there any other accidents on Fabbri rides in the past?

I agree that Tibidabo is a great little park and we have had two wonderful visits. But I don't think it's fair to instantly rule out one or the other just because you had a good time at the park.

I'm very curious to see what the investigation reports say to see if this was more maintenance or design issue...or possibly something completely unrelated to either that could have caused this freak accident to happen.

--Robb "Please, let's not point fingers because it's convenient." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Of course something like this should never happen, but things like this DO happen. Not just with amusement rides, but with ANYTHING - Airplanes, automobiles, construction cranes, elevators, shopping malls, etc, etc...

As theme park and roller coaster enthusiasts I think we should be trying to SUPPORT the industry instead of saying things like "Makes it harder for me to get on this kind of ride again in the future."

That's the kind of statement I'd expect the "general public" to say, not a more educated person who is part of a community who should KNOW BETTER about these kinds of things.

And something that everyone needs to keep in mind - as horrible as an accident like this is, every time something like this unfortunately DOES happen, it actually makes the world of amusement rides SAFER because there will be investigations and findings from this accident that will be applied to future rides of this kind.

This accident would not stop me from getting on another ride exactly like this one again. Because I know the chances of this happening a 2nd time is very unlikely, and even if it DID the odds are still WELL in my favor.

That's like saying "I'm never going to get on another airplane again" after hearing about a crash. Well, here's the reality of the situation - Never getting on an airplane again might guarantee you'll never die in an airplane crash, but all you've done is rule out the one of millions of possible freak accidents that *could* happen to you.

My advice to someone like this - don't ever leave your house...and hope that an airplane doesn't crash into it!

I couldn't agree more - at the fair I went to a few weeks ago there was a Hellraiser ride (the model escapes me) which was involved in a horrific crash a few years ago at another local fair, I was unsure of riding it but my friend said to me "I think you'll find this is probably the safest ride in the park due to the fact it did have an accident it is getting checked regularily!

Don't let this put you off these types of rides again as they are great fun!

My Heart goes out to the families of all that were involved, it is a very sad event to have happened in the theme park community.

Never getting on an airplane again might guarantee you'll never die in an airplane crash

Unless of course you happen to live in the flight path of an airport

Seriously though, I'm guessing all other rides of this type will be shut down now until the investigation is complete, and if/when they reopen they will probably be safer for whatever issue is found. You can be absolutely certain that groups such as the TUV will not allow operation without full compliance with any and all safety recommendations that may arise.

You are right in some ways, Robb, but not in all. Yes, amusement parks are very safe, and present no larger risk than driving to them, and usually less risk. BUt when disigns show flaws, you should avoid them. DC-10s, Deloreans, Pintos, FIrst generation brake designs on Intamin Mega-coasters.

Some rides are unsafe, or have design flaws. Spinning rides are the most common source of fatalties that are not user related. Most coaster deaths are from the rider being an idiot (HW anyone?). Spinning rides are different. There is a long line of ride failures of spinning rides. It's a simple mechanical truism that rotating equipment has a high failure rate. Even the big coaster crashes usually boil down to wheels or axels, like the one in Germany this year.

I'm not a fan of spinning rides in general, but I still think they are a much higher risk ride than coasters. And this ride just doesn't "look" right. It looks under-supported, and the pictures of bent steel pipes are very troubling, and to me shows that this ride design ISN'T safe, and I would tell friends/co-workers that. Sure it isn't a true spinning ride, but it's main ride function is from rotating around a point. And in this case, a very long rotational axis on a non-counterbalanced arm from a straight support base with no triangular support strengthening. A HORRIBLE design, mechanically.

This ride has been around a few years, but hasn't had that many ride cycles, in comparison. Sounds to me like it was showing signs of problems, and the maintenance department failed to find it, and started it back up. If those reports are true, in the US this would be a massive, automatic-win, lawsuit.

-RO

But when designs show flaws, you should avoid them. DC-10s, Deloreans, Pintos, FIrst generation brake designs on Intamin Mega-coasters.

All of those examples only found design flaws after lengthy investigations and reports. And most (if not all) of the above were serviced with modifications to correct the design flaws to make them safe.

There are cases, the DC-10 and the Pinto for example, where the mass media of the problem became so blown out of proportion that even when the equipment became safe after modifications, they were no longer popular.

I would still today ride in a DC-10, Pinto, Delorean, or an Intamin mega coaster because I know that the chances of those accidents occurring were slim in the first place, and even slimmer now that modifications have been made thanks to discovery.

All am saying is that it is unfair to pass any sort of blame on the cause of the accident by looking at pictures. None of us are qualified structural engineers to be able to say "that ride had design flaws" (even if it turns out that it does) by looking at a picture of it. And those of us who may actually be structural engineers would probably know better enough to want to wait for the inspection report, even if they had their own thoughts on the accident based on professional experience.

The Expedition GeForce accident didn't stop me from riding Goliath.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

First news that I heard today in the radio tells that possibly the pilotages were too weak. Not a maintenance fail.

But it's the day after, maybe it's too early. There are TWO investigations at this time: a juridicial one, and another internal made by Tibidabo.

I'll try to inform you about news when i'll know something.

But it's the day after, maybe it's too early. There are TWO investigations at this time: a juridicial one, and another internal made by Tibidabo.

Not internal investigation made by Tibidabo, It's ordered by Tibidabo to an external company.

But I don't think it's fair to instantly rule out one or the other just because you had a good time at the park.

Of course not! I was just trying to say that I hope Tibidabo doesn't suffer from all the bad media attention, because they just don't deserve that. Of course I'm not ruling out the park just because I had a good time there. And if this accident is in any way related to Tibidabo's maintenance, they should be blamed of course.

Sorry for my bad English if that sounded like I was saying it could not have been the park's fault.

Not internal investigation made by Tibidabo, It's ordered by Tibidabo to an external company.

Sorry, I suffer a little bit with english, but well that's what i was trying to say.

There were some TPR members working in the park that day. Actually the park has not allowed the staff to talk to the press, but I hope we can read soon the reviews of the workers.

Also, it appears some more info about it. The notice says that some visitors told the stechnicians that there were some "strange sounds" from the ride. So, several hours before the accident, the ride was checked by the maintenance of the park, and also did some empty cycles.

In fact, due to the weight and the movement of the arm, the tower moves a lot. People don't realize that this kinds of movements are normal and seems that this kind of observations are very usual in the park. Because the movements of the tower. But all rides move, as the wooden coasters, the ZacSpin coaster... I mean, that's normal. But, in these case, seems that the screws were doing some strange noises....

Here the notice by tv3.cat

Visitantes del Tibidabo habrían alertado de que El Péndulo "se movía más de la cuenta" y hacía "ruidos extraños"

Los técnicos del parque del Tibidabo habrían recibido este sábado al menos dos avisos para la atracción El Péndulo "se movía más de la cuenta". Según la Agencia Catalana de Noticias, un trabajador de la empresa ha explicado que al menos dos personas alertaron de que algo no funcionaba bien. Además, asegura que este tipo de avisos no son excepcionales en el parque y que en muchas ocasiones se resuelven mientras la atracción aún está en funcionamiento.Además, según algunos de los testigos, antes del accidente ya habían sentido "ruidos extraños".

Pocas horas después de la tragedia del Tibidabo de este sábado, en el que una chica de 15 años ha fallecido y otras tres resultaron heridas, un trabajador del parque de atracciones ha explicado en declaraciones a la Agencia Catalana de Noticias que los técnicos recibieron al menos dos avisos que alertaban que El Péndulo "se movía más de la cuenta". El trabajador, que ha querido mantenerse en el anonimato, explicó que este tipo de avisos son bastante habituales y que muchas veces los técnicos los resuelven sin parar la atracción, y ha añadido que pese a que el palo que aguanta la atracción está hecho para que sea flexible y vibre para aguantar la presión de la cesta, este sábado se movía en exceso.Algunos de los testigos, además, han asegurado que antes del accidente El Péndulo ya hacía "ruidos extraños", de "tornillos que chirriaban".

En una entrevista en Catalunya Ràdio, otro testigo, Antoni Vallespí, ha confirmado que "cada vez que hacía un movimiento se sentía un ruido un poco extraño". Además, ha asegurado que "la torre que aguanta El Péndulo iba moviendo cada vez más, hasta que ha llegado un momento en que se deben haber roto los cables de soporte con el contrapeso, y ha acabado cayendo toda ".

Por otro lado, algunos de los testigos han criticado que tras el incidente el parque no haya cerrado las puertas inmediatamente. Mientras tanto, la dirección del Tibidabo ha ordenado a sus trabajadores que no hagan declaraciones y por ahora sólo ha explicado que la atracción ha pasado todas las revisiones, la última, el pasado 9 de junio, y cumplía con la normativa de seguridad.

Para averiguar las causas del accidente se ha abierto una investigación judicial y paralelamente el parque de atracciones Tibidabo también hará una investigación interna.

With Google Translation:

Tibidabo visitors have warned that Pendulum "moved more than necessary" and had "strange noises"

Technicians Tibidabo Park on Saturday would have received at least two notices to attract Pendulum "moved more than necessary." According to the Catalan News Agency, an employee of the company explained that at least two people warned that something was wrong. It also ensures that such warnings are not unusual in the park and that in many cases are resolved while the attraction is still in operation. Moreover, according to some witnesses, before the accident and had felt "strange noises."

A few hours after the tragedy of Tibidabo on Saturday, where a 15 year old girl has died and three others injured, an amusement park worker told explained Catalan News Agency that the technicians were at least Two notices to warn that the Pendulum "was moving account." The employee, who wished to remain anonymous, said that such warnings are quite common and often the technicians solved without stopping the attraction, and added that although the pole that holds the appeal is made to is flexible and vibrates to withstand the pressure of the basket, this Saturday was moving too much. Some of the witnesses also have said that before the accident and was Pendulum "strange noises" from "screws that squeaked."

In an interview on Catalunya Radio, another witness, Antoni Vallespí, has confirmed that "every time he made a movement felt a bit strange noise." Furthermore, he assured that "the tower that holds the pendulum was moving more and more, until it has reached a time that should have broken support cables to the counterweight, and ended up falling all."

On the other hand, some witnesses have criticized the park after the incident has not closed the door immediately. Meanwhile, the direction of Tibidabo has ordered its workers not to make statements and so far only explained that the attraction has passed all the reviews, the last one on June 9 and complied with safety regulations.

To find out what caused the accident has opened a judicial investigation in parallel with the Tibidabo amusement park will also make an internal investigation.

Edited by robbalvey

what i noticed on every big accident is, that everytime the operators heard some strange noises, than stopped the ride, checked it shortly and then started it again.... (Mindbender, Disneyland,Exp G-force) what i don´t understand is that the parks even till now doesn`t advice their operators that they stop the rides, till they have found the reason for the noise, even if they have to do a complete inspection of every screw and bolt on the ride. Especially because the operators know what their rides sounds every day and if it makes a strange noise, even just for a short time, its an sign for a collabsed material or sth. like this. A ride doesn`t make a strange sound for no reason!!!!! This is what they should be reminded everyday. In my opinion every deadly accident could have been prevented if the park really stops every ride when it makes strange noises and controll it till they have found the reason for a noise and fixed it and i think the most parks in germany work after this rule. hope so