TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody, been awhile since I posted in here. Ran down to Holiday World yesterday to ride The Voyage at night. I wanted to see where it would stack up against Millenium Force, The Beast and other coasters that I love at night.

Good Lawd, lol, that is all I can say. I have a new favorite coaster at night! And I thought The Beast was good, lol.

The last trip that I took I didn't ride any of the others, Raven, Legend. This time I took the g/f and rode them all.

Raven - 2nd fav. Some great drops and twists, love the tunnels.

Legend - g/f's fav. It's rough but it's not like its so bad that you want to tear your limbs off.

And The Voyage @ night. OMFG! This thing is amazing in during the day, as I found out earlier this year. But at night? It takes the cake. I would say it takes it, throws it at you and then jams it down your throat while laughing.

I kinda agree with people, the ride out is amazing. Really pretty smooth. But once you hit the turn-around, you better be holding the hell on, lol. This thing is MEAN. But that's not a bad thing. It's a wooden coaster. It's supposed to be crazy, stupid and thrilling.

The only problem that I have with Holiday World is their schedule. It's hard to get night rides in. I had talked with the ride supervisor about protocol about when they would close the line. She was super freaking helpful. She told me exactly when to get in line. I have never had that done before. After we had ridden I went up to her and said thank you for all that you did with helping me ride at the perfect time. She proclaimed "Want to ride again?" Unfortunately for me riding 3 times in one day tears me up. I'm old, well, 33 but man that thing is brutal, in a good way. I needed a breather. I wanted to comprehend what I had just experienced. It took me a good 15 min to come to my senses about what had just happened and what I had just been through.

All in all a great trip. Holiday World is a great little park. I will be going a couple of times a year from now on.

But the biggest news? The Voyage is my new favorite coaster at night! Freaking spectacular.

EPSON001.thumb.JPG.fed7645926379a1234246bc67b237a28.JPG

First night ride on The Voyage with my g/f

^ yep, he said everything that needs to be said about The Voyage at night. I rode it at night yesterday, also, and was reminded of how amazing it is at night. It'd been a couple of years since I had ridden it at night. But man, from the front seat, once you plunge into darkness on the first drop, it is insanity.

That leads me to some observations I made about Thunderbird construction. I believe it will be a great night coaster as well. It is way back there in the woods. As you can see from some of the pictures, they are clearing the bare minimum of trees and the rest is very densely wooded. I think this is going to give it more of terrain coaster feel than some might expect. (picture)

But as for my trip:

Day 1 (half day), Friday, 3:00pm-9:30pm:

DSC_0333.thumb.JPG.4b1285d612b3c9dffd08425232686a3e.JPG

The Classic Water Tower

DSC_0468.thumb.JPG.a5c555a93f5d405bdf1c8c58feca6b9a.JPG

The new Mrs Klaus Kitchen

DSC_0496.thumb.JPG.7ff16f3221f31fcab6753091506df7ba.JPG

Visitors looking at the Thunderbird preview sign

Raven (3 times) - still a classic, just behind The Voyage on my list, a little rough on the 3rd hill and turnaround on the lake

DSC_0336.thumb.JPG.a0ac1274bac42cadc6dbb0f3682d4741.JPG

Raven at the front gate

Frightful Falls - I'm pretty sure they modified something on the drop to get you more wet. I'd always just been slightly sprayed by water in years past but this time I got soaked. From watching other boats go down the drop, it appears the front end dips down slightly just before flattening out. Not complaining

Legend - as I had previously noted, its running rougher than normal but still great. I noticed that they had replaced and/or added a lot of wood on the substructure for lateral bracing of the frame.

Voyage - re-tracking work has really smoothed it out since last year, especially on the first 3 hills. Feels extra fast this year

DSC_0560.thumb.jpg.19f956299ed814d54b6de3920a92caf5.jpg

Voyage as seen from Hyena Falls/Thunderbird

Mayflower - excellent addition to the Holiday World line-up

DSC_0443.thumb.JPG.3175647417cd0c108fbca596defffd77.JPG

Mayflower at night

Mammoth - it was cold. Yet, the wait was still 45 minutes.The rest of the water park was mostly a walk up at this time but the two water coasters consistently had wait times of 30min or more. The GP loves these things

Jungle Racers - believe it or not, this is my favorite water ride in the park. I'm also very competitive so that might be part of it I went down this 9 times in a row

Plymouth Rock - what other park can you get a legitimate thanksgiving meal for $10?! Turkey, dressing, mac n cheese, green beans, and a roll...mmmmm. Not to mention if you sit outside you can smell the wood fire burning and listen to the bluegrass/folk hymns playing. Perfect atmosphere.

Gobbler Getaway - always fun. Again, I'm competitive I'd be very happy to see the park add another dark ride similar to this in the future. Maybe in Halloween?

Fireworks - I was pleasantly surprised by these. We set-up over by Hyena Falls and the view was perfect (as recommended). It was a 12 minute show with very large fireworks with a wide variety of different effects and a good finale. My only complaint is that the music was hard to hear. Also, before the show started, it was neat to see all the mascots and princesses with the light up dresses come over and interact with the children. Very Disney-like A great addition to HW's season

DSC_0456.thumb.JPG.aa2c9bbe31ce070cae4979d5d27cb565.JPG

Fireworks!

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Huntingburg. Nothing too fancy but decently priced and about 20 min away. Also, its in eastern time so that can be confusing.

Day 2 (full day), Saturday, 9:30am - 9:30pm:

Wildebeest (3 times) - As soon as we got to the park (about 30min after opening), we headed straight towards thanksgiving to the entrance for Splashin' Safari. When it opened, we went straight towards the back, dropped ours bags/shoes/shirts off at Bahari wave pool and went to Wildebeest. It was a walk on when we arrived. We were able to ride it 3 times in a row and after the third time, the line had begun to fill up. That thing is the most thrilling water ride I have ever been on. I love the air time and speed you get. It feels "raw" because its just you and your boat and the water flying up and down hills and around curves. I love it

Bakuli - leaving the crowds of the water coasters, we noticed Bakuli had a very short line so we hit that up. Not my favorite of the water rides but the drop is really fun (especially backwards) and its something different. One more faster lap around the bowl would make it better.

Hyena Falls (multiple times) - this was my first year getting to these and they were awesome. Being so far away from the rest of the water park, the crowd was extremely light (as in a walk-up to each slide). The half pipe is awesome. Really fast down the slide and WAY up on the half pipe. The first time on that, coming back off of the half pipe, I was going so fast that when I hit the churning water at the bottom it completely flipped me out of the tube and I ended up going down the rest on the slide head first on my back. That was fun But each of the other slides were fast and fun as well. It is a nice area to just relax and have fun without worrying about too many other people. It also gives a great view of all the construction. When Thunderbird is completed, you'll be able to reach out and touch a couple of the immelmann loop supports from the stairs of the slides.

Wildebeestro - this really adds to the variety of lunch options. Chicken Bacon Ranch wrap and apple for $8. Great value and great tasting as well.

DSC_0712.thumb.JPG.d935b02d2151f3ec47d65a0fb36476e9.JPG

New Wildebeestro

DSC_0714.thumb.JPG.5910b5bead149e8166566e6e08f84da9.JPG

New Wildebeestro

DSC_0715.thumb.jpg.73ea490e94aa7a28e634460ca4c22362.jpg

New Wildebeestro

Mayflower - we waited for the very end seat this time around. Wow does it make a difference! You get some serious hang time as you reach the peaks.

DSC_0860.thumb.jpg.1128fd0a47b455fa4e084f140d4287d9.jpg

Mayflower at full swing

Voyage - rode in the very back this time. Insane amounts of airtime but also whips you around a lot more, as expected. The wait was 45 minutes and pretty much filled up the whole lower queue. Being Saturday at the end of summer, the park was very crowded.

DSC_0886.thumb.JPG.b0df43c874d12af5488a4025932d8a25.JPG

Voyage at sundown

Sparkler - another one that was my first ride. Something different, thrilling enough for someone like me to want to ride it (decent height, spins at a good rate), but its also not going to intimidate smaller children. It could be just a little bit longer of a cycle though, especially since there's rarely a wait for it.

Liberty Launch - one of my favorite "flats" in the park. The launch really pushes you into your seat and great airtime coming back down. It also give you a great view of the park.

DSC_0742.thumb.jpg.cfce988b472144a0940172bf478a02a1.jpg

Liberty Launch

Hallow Swings - probably my favorite flat at the park (although Mayflower is giving it stiff competition). I'm pretty sure they made the cycle longer

Dive! show - still the same routine as years past, but now with a live announcer. I think it really adds to the dynamic of the show. Always a great watch if you are in the area and see it going on/about to start.

Raven (2 times) - very back both times. Definitely my new favorite spot for this coaster.

(We were going to ride The Legend next but the queue was almost completely filled up, including the "L" shaped area by the brake run)

Bahari/Lazy River - we took some time to relax and wait for the crowd to lighten up. It was about 5:00 and we could see people starting to head for the exits of the water park (it closed at 7:30 this day). I will always look the rock and waterfall/fountain theming on these

Zoombabwe - backwards the whole time of course. But long, tall, and fast. All you need from a water slide.

Zoombabwe Grill - went basic with the Double Cheeseburger meal. Tasty of course. Double Cheeseburger (actual thick beef patties, not McDonald's patties), fries, 2 oreos, and drink (of course) for $8.49. Can't beat it.

Jungle Racers - 8 rides this time before they closed it off. Start out on your knees with your feet against the backboard and your torso upright. Literally launch yourself forward when the attendant says "go" and then keep your head down by your hands and lift up on the front of the mat as your crest each of the hills. You'll get some serious speed and air time you'll thank me later

Voyage - very front. at night. enough said. Actually, it was amazing looking around and observing people's excitement for this ride. My sister took an awesome selfie while waiting (picture). Then when up in the station, people would be cheering and clapping their hands and their trained rolled out. And when they arrived back, there would be another chorus of cheers and excitement and just joy on everyone's face. It was like this with every single train. There are very few rides that can bring that amount of pure happiness to everyone that rides it.

DSC_0846.thumb.JPG.0508a7fb1e5ff911231410e8eb720c17.JPG

Voyage at sundown

Hallow Swings - this ride is awesome at night. The lights just add a whole different dimension to it. Plus hearing the howl and seeing the "moonlight" of Legend just adds to the creepy halloween atmosphere.

DSC_0914.thumb.jpg.7cfc2e8f87a54ca0041ef09c52dbe237.jpg

HallowSwings at night

Legend - we were on the last train so we ended up in one of the middle cars. This is another great night coaster. It just gives you that "creepy" feeling.

DSC_0952.thumb.JPG.45a603844128ef55d7cefe46ada1aaa3.JPG

After the last ride on the Legend

RWB Funnel Cake - so unhealthy. so delicious.

DSC_0937.thumb.JPG.31d3cc7487ddbceab5658d9efac7d441.JPG

RWB funnel cake

DSC_0962.thumb.JPG.7d4ecb36e3592419dc080be148f763f7.JPG

The Raven gate looks extra spooky at night

DSC_0971.thumb.jpg.cbf0a016f86bf9f6b0ebcbf7ed3c91f6.jpg

Seeing this means its time to leave :(

DSC_0966.thumb.JPG.ab3c806be492cc9ab0fe28b4ebc0c453.JPG

Holiday World deserves an applause for a fun weekend

Thunderbird Construction Photos:

DSC_0505.thumb.JPG.eef7fbaea3cb109b44e12016d08e8df2.JPG

Track

DSC_0506.thumb.JPG.adb8073fa4b12aab7b43cb130096ee78.JPG

Supports and bracing of some sort?

DSC_0508.thumb.JPG.ac7fddb7f660a61f1d410d54b870e693.JPG

Supports

DSC_0510.thumb.JPG.56fa6ccd8ad0e37e04f2f9c061d3495d.JPG

More supports

DSC_0513.thumb.JPG.721074d159a0ae93da776000ee9187e6.JPG

Track (brake run or launch)

DSC_0516.thumb.JPG.15f99cc0b5df40237eb6fec4d528c1fb.JPG

This house will have the brake run right next to it. Doesn't appear to be on the Holiday World marked property

DSC_0524.thumb.JPG.3641687a4e3efe64df38b02413a6e86a.JPG

This will look much different next season

DSC_0528.thumb.JPG.e466821991e23f0121948c2c09143c02.JPG

More track and supports

DSC_0569.thumb.JPG.6eccc68d56a4afe121f0d6c8ac350117.JPG

Launch footings

DSC_0570.thumb.JPG.37b9c9323deab751ef73f924a7cc54cd.JPG

The signature B&M almond cut footing

DSC_0571.thumb.JPG.26268e9a8074075d1f8a61e25944d8a1.JPG

Vertical loop or end of immelmann loop footings

DSC_0575.thumb.JPG.3036f7afe8ee2b573bfbfde33857035b.JPG

"Will Power" building

DSC_0578.thumb.jpg.24a04b8652649f3d7cd7da3dfbdb7e06.jpg

This footing for the immelmann loop is essentially under the platform for Hyena Falls

DSC_0591.thumb.JPG.465adbeedebc980374cbbe1352a0f693.JPG

More launch footings

DSC_0616.thumb.JPG.5b700eae4f7807c6d04f8f016826576f.JPG

Voyage crossover. Notice the minimal clearing of trees

DSC_0617.thumb.JPG.0339533a44aaabdf71ff6a01a99fb269.JPG

Round footings. Presumably for the station?

DSC_0622.thumb.JPG.feeeeadefb5a684adaed163173d9a1aa.JPG

The woods are still dense

Those track pieces!

And nice photos from around the park! I really need to get out to this place, its really turning into one of those 'destinations.'

So since I've never been, here's a question. I know you get free soda and all, but how does that work? Are there random soda machines just laying around and you fill up a cup, or do you have to go into a restaurant to get one?

^ They have Pepsi Oasis buildings strategically placeed throughout both parks and in all food places. Best way of describing how the process works is it's like a buffet of drinks. You serve yourself and get as much as you please. Checkout the park map, you'll get an idea of where they are all located.

I know you get free soda and all, but how does that work? Are there random soda machines just laying around and you fill up a cup, or do you have to go into a restaurant to get one?

Short answer: both.

Throughout the park (usually 1 or 2 per holiday), there's "Pepsi Oasis' " which are small buildings with (usually) 4 fountain machines each and 8oz paper cups. You walk in, grab a cup, fill it up with desired drink, and walk out happily sipping on desired drink. Along with that, most of the larger restaurants have drink machines inside/attached to them and larger, 12oz cups. An example is this new one at Wildebeestro:

DSC_0708.thumb.JPG.bf53afdf5c2b7f9c93251e568be4207b.JPG

Wildesbeestro oasis

Edited by kyleparks77

^ Because other parks "don't get it".

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

when I went to six flags america I almost got dehydrated because I didn't want to spend $6 on water. I'm so jealous omg.

I thought the water at Six Flags was free. Are you talking about bottled water?

What really makes me scratch my head is when people buy bottled beverages at Holiday World. You have free and unlimited fountain drinks (including 2 flavors of gatorade, water, lemonade, and, I think, tea), and you pay $2.50 or whatever it is for bottled water or gatorade or $4 for an energy drink? Why?

^ Because other parks "don't get it".

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

when I went to six flags america I almost got dehydrated because I didn't want to spend $6 on water. I'm so jealous omg.

I thought the water at Six Flags was free. Are you talking about bottled water?

Yeeeeeeez and I didn't even see any water fountains. There was a lack of. I was almost tempted to drink from the sinks but I'll keep my sanity thx.

What really makes me scratch my head is when people buy bottled beverages at Holiday World. You have free and unlimited fountain drinks (including 2 flavors of gatorade, water, lemonade, and, I think, tea), and you pay $2.50 or whatever it is for bottled water or gatorade or $4 for an energy drink? Why?

It's kinda stupid that they're even selling that if they have it free...

Double post but I wanted to share this with you all. Going up the stairs to the station for the night ride of Voyage last night, we thought "Hey this would be a good place to do a mass selfie" so we yelled for everyone to join in the selfie with my sister and they did. I think it shows how the fun and friendly atmosphere of the park carries over to the people that visit.

481652064_ScreenShot2014-08-04at12_06_25AM.thumb.png.8cfcffab47d74feb79b84251f8cd6a2b.png

Voyage Selfie

That just made me realize that somehow in the 4 or 5 times I've been to Holiday World I have never had to wait in line for the Voyage more than maybe 5 or 10 minutes. I guess I've just always gone on empty days! I didn't even realize Voyage had a big room with that many switchbacks. Is it under the station?