TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It's doable. Knock out Kingda Ka and Joker early and then have at it. Personally I'd to to Kingda Ka first, as soon as you get through to the station just clear it and reserve Joker and then wait for the front row.

Neither water ride is a must-do. I know most people are shocked to hear me say that but the grouping policy on the Flume is awful and Congo Rapids is the worst Rapids ride on earth.

Definitely doable. Knock Kingda Ka out right at opening, then Zum as they're the most tempermental. Then hit Joker and the Safari. Once you get off Safari you'll be able to tackle everything, especially with a platinum flash pass. Agree that neither water ride is a 'must-do', and keep in mind the park will also have Justice League next summer.

Aside from the coasters and Zumanjaro, I think the only "must do" rides are the Parachutes which never have a line and Houdini. There are some other fun flats but nothing terribly unique. I'm also a big fan of Skyway and it's a New York World's Fair attraction which makes it really cool.

If it were me I'd probably knock out the coasters on the left side of the park (Kingda Ka, Joker, Superman, Lantern if you hate yourself, maybe chutes since they're right there, El Toro, Bizarro and Choo Choo). Then ride the Safari, then take the Skyway over to the other side of the park where you'll be greeted with a ton of ultra reliable coasters that you can safely save for later. That way you can enjoy the Safari without worrying about missing anything. Once you ride the coasters hit Zumanjaro, any flats you want and then power ride El Toro for the rest of the night.

Ride Kingda Ka in the front (yes it will have a long line, just do it, not one from the front... the front. You didn't come all this way to ride in row 2 like a b*tch. If you want a shaky ride that's underwhelming then ride in another row, if you want a ride that tries to rip your face off and makes you wonder WTF just happened to you in the most awesome way possible then ride in row 1. And thanks to Flash Pass you'll be waiting for Joker while you're waiting for it). Ride El Toro one row from the back, ride Batman in the front and ride Skull Mountain in the very, very back, none of those will cost you any real additional time. It might cost you one extra train on Batman but who cares?

Ride Kingda Ka in the front (yes it will have a long line, just do it, not one from the front... the front. You didn't come all this way to ride in row 2 like a b*tch. If you want a shaky ride that's underwhelming then ride in another row, if you want a ride that tries to rip your face off and makes you wonder WTF just happened to you in the most awesome way possible then ride in row 1.

I think I'll save this quote for when people ask for Cedar Point advice and Dragster (Minus the shakiness).

If you're about to ride Dragster or Ka in any row other than the front, you're doing it wrong.

Aside from the coasters and Zumanjaro, I think the only "must do" rides are the Parachutes which never have a line and Houdini. There are some other fun flats but nothing terribly unique. I'm also a big fan of Skyway and it's a New York World's Fair attraction which makes it really cool.

If it were me I'd probably knock out the coasters on the left side of the park (Kingda Ka, Joker, Superman, Lantern if you hate yourself, maybe chutes since they're right there, El Toro, Bizarro and Choo Choo). Then ride the Safari, then take the Skyway over to the other side of the park where you'll be greeted with a ton of ultra reliable coasters that you can safely save for later. That way you can enjoy the Safari without worrying about missing anything. Once you ride the coasters hit Zumanjaro, any flats you want and then power ride El Toro for the rest of the night.

Ride Kingda Ka in the front (yes it will have a long line, just do it, not one from the front... the front. You didn't come all this way to ride in row 2 like a b*tch. If you want a shaky ride that's underwhelming then ride in another row, if you want a ride that tries to rip your face off and makes you wonder WTF just happened to you in the most awesome way possible then ride in row 1. And thanks to Flash Pass you'll be waiting for Joker while you're waiting for it). Ride El Toro one row from the back, ride Batman in the front and ride Skull Mountain in the very, very back, none of those will cost you any real additional time. It might cost you one extra train on Batman but who cares?

Awesome, thanks so much! This sounds like a well thought out plan and a good use of Flash Pass. Parachutes, Zumanjaro, Houdini, and Skyway were the four flats I knew about, and it sounds like nothing else is notable. I'm on the fence about Green Lantern. I did really like Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain, and if I like a ride type I usually want to try another of the same type. But it's the only stand-up I've ever ridden, and that for the first time just over two weeks ago, so I really don't have any experience to draw from here. I skipped Green Lantern at Magic Mountain because I heard it's just awful, and I may want to do the same at Great Adventure. I'm no completionist; If I don't think I'll have fun on a given ride, I'll skip it.

I do plan to ride Kingda Ka in the front row. I waited an extra half hour for the front row on TTD, twice, and it was well worth the wait. You seem to indicate that Batman's front row queue is a similar wait to the rest of the train, and that sounds awesome to me. Batman at SFStL was my first inverting coaster in 1995, and I've ridden it a bunch, but I will always go on it when I'm at any Six Flags. I usually don't go on the front row because it's always about twice as long as any other row (for that reason, I ride Batman most often in the back).

And yes, I will ride Boldikus Mountain in the very back row. I'm anticipating my cult initiation.

I hated Riddler's Revenge so if you enjoyed it it might be worth riding Green Lantern. It won't cost you much time with the Flash Pass and maybe you'll like it. Plus if you reserve it once you're through the Superman merge point you can probably get right on. If not then you have time to ride the chutes first once you get off of Lantern or wait for the front of Superman.

Green Lantern may be a matter of personal preference.

This seems to be the case with all standups. Strangely I hate every standup I've ever ridden with the exception of the Carowinds Vortex which basically everyone BUT me hates.

This is SO true! I would ride ANY other Standup (even though I'm not a big fan of them) TWICE, before I'd ride Vortex at Carowinds once again!

This seems to be the case with all standups. Strangely I hate every standup I've ever ridden with the exception of the Carowinds Vortex which basically everyone BUT me hates.

This is SO true! I would ride ANY other Standup (even though I'm not a big fan of them) TWICE, before I'd ride Vortex at Carowinds once again!

Vortex is the only standup that never caused pain to me

Although I don't find it as intense as Green Lantern, I would ride it more than two times in a row if I could

The problem with GL is that you can't really win. There are 2 ways to ride. One will make you want to flat out die, the other will give you a possibly decent ride. I liked Riddler alright too, so maybe your experience will be similar to mine, as I didn't TOTALLY hate GL.

So anyway, the golden rule of standups: RELAX. They're called standups for a reason. Whenever you're having your restraint checked, make sure to squat a little bit. You shouldn't have your crotch really touching the bicycle seat at all once in full standing position. This will keep you from losing any chance you ever had at having children. Also, ride at least near the front. I did row 2 and got a "Hey, Bill's a liar, it's not that bad" ride

Now the two pains, and reasons this ride won't ever be able to really be perfect. So, if you sit on the actual seat, say goodbye to children, you'll never see your genitals again. However, if you do it the "right" way, you'll get a not horrible ride. The problem is that it's a complete leg workout. Your legs will be jello since you were standing on them with extra force exerted on them. But honestly, it really only lasts until you get off of the ride.

Hope you don't completely hate it! With Voyage at my home park, you learn some defensive riding skills, and standups are nothing

Vortex is the only standup that never caused pain to me

Although I don't find it as intense as Green Lantern, I would ride it more than two times in a row if I could

Vortex is the only standup I wanted to get off of half-way through the ride.

Although its line isn't ever as long as Green Lantern's, I would still ride that coaster two times in a row before riding Vortex once!

(Isn't making random contrary statements before punctuating them with emoticons sticking out their tongues fun??? )

The problem with GL is that you can't really win. There are 2 ways to ride. One will make you want to flat out die, the other will give you a possibly decent ride. I liked Riddler alright too, so maybe your experience will be similar to mine, as I didn't TOTALLY hate GL.

So anyway, the golden rule of standups: RELAX. They're called standups for a reason. Whenever you're having your restraint checked, make sure to squat a little bit. You shouldn't have your crotch really touching the bicycle seat at all once in full standing position. This will keep you from losing any chance you ever had at having children. Also, ride at least near the front. I did row 2 and got a "Hey, Bill's a liar, it's not that bad" ride

Now the two pains, and reasons this ride won't ever be able to really be perfect. So, if you sit on the actual seat, say goodbye to children, you'll never see your genitals again. However, if you do it the "right" way, you'll get a not horrible ride. The problem is that it's a complete leg workout. Your legs will be jello since you were standing on them with extra force exerted on them. But honestly, it really only lasts until you get off of the ride.

Hope you don't completely hate it! With Voyage at my home park, you learn some defensive riding skills, and standups are nothing

Well, I've got 3 kids, and don't plan on having any more, so we're in the clear there....

But this really echoes what people had said about Riddler's Revenge. I rode it as you said, standing above the seat, and it was pain-free. There was certainly pressure on my legs, but that's not the same as pain.

Sounds like if ridden correctly, Green Lantern can be fun, so I think I'll give it a shot. I don't expect anything mind blowing, but it's different from the normal experience, and that's worth it to me.