TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I actually like the unpainted rails on B&M's better, but in this case I agree that it just looks tacky with the extra spray and weld marks. Not nearly as tacky as parking spots under the ride, but I was just hoping for a little more attention to detail considering the high-profile location. Plus I'm all about taking pictures, and all this will show up with a telephoto lens.

That's not to say I'm unhappy about the ride or the park at all. I'm really excited about a top 10 coaster being right down the road. If gas prices keep going up I'll be at KD a lot more this year because Busch Gardens is further and my Jeep has a drinking problem.

IMG_3191_(Large).JPG.e8caefdb5f4f98498eda3216d9b483cf.JPG

Tacky, but we've all seen worse. Photo from coastercrew

I dont think anyone is expecting anything outside of the standard that any park would have for a new ride to enter the park. Especially when its going to be the first thing people see when they arrive to the park. If appearance didn't matter they wouldn't have painted the ride at all and just put it up. What I think people are questioning is whats the point of painting the ride and leaving it not fully painted (i.e. the rails). 2001 x flight was build and was moved and was repainted fully. I do think this is one of the largest rides that has been moved that I've seen but still its not like they couldn't have painted the rails they clearly decided not to and think that its ok to leave the rails with those blobs.

I dont know if they will go back and touch it up... I mean look at BGE and Griffon... you know that cage looking thing before break run. It looks unfinished and I am still unsure of what exactly it is but nothing has been added or completed from what it looks like to me. If your not gonna put something all together completely for opening day i doubt they'll go back and do more.

When you start giving lee-way of expectations, thats when parking lot rides start popping up (joke). On a more serious note for a ride named Dominator I think vibrant, eye catching colors are a great way to go. Neon colors are great in this case, Like a yellow and green.

^

Hmm, to me black grey, and maybe a bit of red accents seems more fitting to dominator.

That pic looks a lot more like repair work to galvanizing that has failed locally. To repair it, they probably ground off the zinc and the steel underneath rusted as it always does when it is exposed.

I figured out why they gave dominator that color.

"Domin"ator "Domin"ion, the Kings Dominion logo is orange and purple.

Yeah,I noticed the same thing on the 2007 park maps....blue background,orange text.

As for the rails not being painted,or having blobs of paint on them....I could care less.Now what I don't like when it comes to paint on a coaster is really faded paint that needs to be redone but gets skipped over year after year due to budget cuts.

B&M first allowed the painting of rails in 1999 with Medusa.

The Riddler's Revenge (1998) was actually the first B&M with rails painted.

http://rcdb.com/ig470.htm?picture=16

I also don't believe B&M had a "no rails painted" rule, nor did they advise against it. Painted rails do not have an impact or effect the performance of a ride. It was purely an aesthetic thing, and it was just the way parks chose to have their rides painted then.

^ I always thought it had something to do with traction. Many Intamins since MF seem to have a "stripe" where the wheels contact the track. Maybe B&M were thinking the same thing?

For me I'd say painting the rails would help to cover up those unsightly welds and give a better looking final product.

Well I know this is a very big expansion for KD, Kd's first B&M... and Va's first org. floorless, so some of these reasons migh be why. Trust me, I'm not complaining at all, lol.

Niether am I,remember the GP doesn't know that the ride is a relocated attraction & assume that it's new so it makes sense to have a media day to help market the park's new attraction.

A lot of my clients come in asking if I've heard about KD's new ride. Most of them know that coasters are one of my "things." It always takes some explaining when I tell them that I rode it last year.

Actually, now that I think of it, the fact that so many people ask me if I know about it does say something about well KD is publicizing their new addition.

"You mean they can move them?"