The iPad - Apple's Take On The Tablet Computer

Wes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^I'm not so sure the iPad 2 will sell as well as the first unless it brings something new and unexpected to the table. These new Android tablets are going to own it unless it brings some amazing new features.

I would have thought so too, but iPhone's still dominate the smartphone market even with Android around.

Speaking of iPad2- word was going around that they would be slightly delayed. Apple shares promptly dropped $10, even after they quickly denied that rumor.

These new Android tablets are going to own it unless it brings some amazing new features.

Biggest problem with the Android tablets (aside from the fact that there are currently none on the market), is that none of them can seem to get within even $100 of the iPad's price. How's that for a turn of events?!

Cameron.

I would have thought so too, but iPhone's still dominate the smartphone market even with Android around.

IPhone has that "hip" factor (though I think the big three smart phone platforms currently all have similar market share, with RIM on a slow decline and Android growing rapidly)

Biggest problem with the Android tablets (aside from the fact that there are currently none on the market), is that none of them can seem to get within even $100 of the iPad's price. How's that for a turn of events?!

Cameron.

That's pretty much true now, but this year with the release of Honeycomb, that could change soon.

And I've got a 7" Android tablet with the same specs as the iPad (1ghz Cortex A8 processor, 256m RAM, Capacitive multi-touch screen) and that was only 275$

But in any case the iPad 2 is going to be a solid product that many will buy.

Any iOS device will continue to be successful solely based on the apps and ease of use.

And so far, like Cameron said...high end android tablets are more expensive than iPad's. I'm an android user myself, and was excited about the Xoom...until I saw the price.

iPad 2 announced:Here.

It's going to have a dual core processor, front and rear cameras, and it's 33% thinner. Same display though.

Looks like a solid device especially considering it's keeping the same price.

Although I'm not sure I agree Steve Jobs bashing Android and Motorola like he did. He said that HoneyComb has 100 tablet optimized apps, while iPad has 65,000. What he forgot to mention is that iPad has been out for 11 months, Android 3.0 has been out for 6 days.

Any iOS device will continue to be successful solely based on the apps and ease of use.

And so far, like Cameron said...high end android tablets are more expensive than iPad's. I'm an android user myself, and was excited about the Xoom...until I saw the price.

^Agreed. The Xoom in terms of specs is comparable if not slightly better than the iPad 2 however, $799 is entirely too much. I'll save the $300 and get the iPad 2.

Courtesy of Engadget

What phone do you have? I have the Motorola Atrix 4g and so far I love it.

For someone who owns an Android phone and knows the "ins and outs" may appreciate the Xoom but for someone who owns an iPhone, they won't think twice about it. I like the Android software but the gripe I have is that it doesn't perform well out of the box. You have to know how to fine tune it to get it to operate decently.

The Apple UI (User Interface) is so simple and universally understood. I already have the 1st gen iPad and I love it so probably won't be investing in the iPad2 just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now it seems there are some issues with the iPad 2. The first issue they are having is yellow spots on the screen but those will disappear over the next few days since its the glue the factory used to assemble the device and it hasn't yet evaporated. The 2nd issue that people are having is a backlight issue. It seems the backlight is bleeding into the lcd screen around the home button. Many people seem to have the issue s I think I will be holding off on selling my iPad 1st generation until these issues get solved.

^Agreed. The Xoom in terms of specs is comparable if not slightly better than the iPad 2 however, $799 is entirely too much. I'll save the $300 and get the iPad 2.

Look at the graphic you posted though - to save the $300, you'd need to get the iPad through AT&T and give up half of the memory

For a more linear comparison, Verizon has the 32GB IPad2 for $729 - a mere $70 less than its $799 Xoom, not nearly as dramatic of a difference as you suggested

^I agree. If you're going to spend $800 just get yourself a nice laptop. It can do more than all the tablets can anyway.

I got an Archos 70 android tablet for christmas, I use it for watching movies during car rides and if I tether my phone to it it's great for surfing the web on the go.

^Tablets aren't meant to be full scale computers. They are meant to be a more convenient way to browse the net/watch videos/etc. without the extra bulk of a keyboard/drives.