TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

This is probably an opinionated question, but does anyone have any idea why Tesla is only giving media outlets TEN FREAKING MINUTES to come up with a review for their new Model S? Is there something hiding in the bowels of the car that they don't want the media to know about or something?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting reading on various car forums the different stories people have about other people on the road trying to "challenge" them to racing. Has anyone here experienced any idiots like these, and have any interesting stories? I have no experiences yet, but it's probably inevitable now with my Camaro. The best part will be ignoring them.

Interesting enough, it tends to happen most with "modest" cars like G35s, A4s, etc. Though one guy in a mercedes AMG whatever did rev up at a light next to me once.. at 7 in the freakin morning

.. should have taken him though. Looked up the car's sprint times and realized I probably could have had a shot. Silly Mercedes drivers!

What annoys me more is the people who ride your ass when they see that you're, uh, driving swiftly.

My 2003 Z4 is about to turn 10 and I have finally decided to turn it in for a new one. I have the 2013 Z4 sDrive35i on order and I have a delivery date of September 17th. The best part is that I pick the car up in Munich. Who knew that it is 7% cheaper to pick the car up in Germany. The money saved will almost pay for our mini Europen vacation.

Nice! I hope you'll be calling it a "zed" 4 not a "zee" 4, you're a cultured man Bob, it's the least I ask

My 2003 Z4 is about to turn 10 and I have finally decided to turn it in for a new one. I have the 2013 Z4 sDrive35i on order and I have a delivery date of September 17th. The best part is that I pick the car up in Munich. Who knew that it is 7% cheaper to pick the car up in Germany. The money saved will almost pay for our mini Europen vacation.

Nice! I hope you'll be calling it a "zed" 4 not a "zee" 4, you're a cultured man Bob, it's the least I ask

lol, You know why I know what you are talking about? It's because I watch sci fi on TV. I'm watching the series Stargate Atlantis in the mornings while I exercise. If you haven't seen the show they have what they call a Zero Point Module that powers everything. They all refer to it as a ZPM except for Rodney who is from Canada and he calls it a Zed PM.

Silly Mercedes drivers!

I'll fight you.

What annoys me more is the people who ride your A$$ when they see that you're, uh, driving swiftly.

My mom's E320 wagon has a nifty rear fog light option that lights up a section of the tail lights when activated. It's pretty nice for when people are tailing you and you turn it on, as they assume it's the brake lights. I think I can wire it to my 300E as the switch has a position for it, I just need to put the bulbs in the sockets and run the wires.

It is interesting reading on various car forums the different stories people have about other people on the road trying to "challenge" them to racing. Has anyone here experienced any idiots like these, and have any interesting stories? I have no experiences yet, but it's probably inevitable now with my Camaro. The best part will be ignoring them.

If I take a certain way home, Its almost inevitable that someone pulls up next to me and wants me to race them. Im only in a WRX, not a STi. However, one of them was pretty lulzy. An LS8. I had him at 50mph by a car length and thats without launching it.

Ive had guys in bikes do it too. Im like wtf? Yea thats a fair fight.

I hear you, I had my first experience in my Camaro the other day, and it was near the local mall. Not surprising considering that's a popular hangout for most high school kids. It looked like a Nissan (definitely not a Maxima, though), but I couldn't tell for sure because it was de-badged, and did have a "fart can" muffler. He went flying past us (dad was driving), then slowed down to let us pass, then did it again. My dad didn't take the bait, but it was still hilarious to see what lengths people will go to get a reaction out of you.

Yeah I don't even mess with bikes at all. I don't know much about them, but I know enough to back off, and that some of them can hit 200 MPH easily.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I'm really hoping he meant bicycles and not motorized bikes, cause that would be even funnier

So I'm glad I don't live in Seattle - one of the guys on the forum I read fitted a "Hybrid" label on his car because he was met with hostility (I can almost understand people not being courteous in traffic in, say, merging situations, but people on bikes spitting at him?!! wtf?). This is funny and sad all at the same time, especially if dumbass ecomentalists actually believe its a hybrid

m-hybridlol.thumb.jpg.3f1c72a986d5d47badf898b83418d702.jpg

That's a "Hybrid" badge from a GM car too, which kind of makes it worse.

The Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades were cool because they were actually neat two-mode hybrid-electrics. But GM decided to stick the "Hybrid" label on Malibus, Saturn Auras and Saturn Vues. In those cases, the electric motor only powered a start-stop system and provided a little bit of assistance when the cars would accelerate.

LOL Parktrips, yes I originally meant Motorcycles.

Autocross #2 in the books. Win #2 as well Unbenounced to me I was actually being "noticed" by people not in my class because of my time. See, I run in whats called RTA which means Road Tire AWD. But I also could run in whats called D Stock, (DS). Difference is that in RTA I have to stay within the rules of the "D Stock" class but run a Street tire. It enables those of us who dont have slicks to be competitive in our own group based on the drivetrain. D Stock allows slick tires, RTA does not. Otherwise, the same class.

I was only 1sec from the DS time which allows slicks and that was my first time at this track. They run the same exact track each time so they actually keep lap records. Anyways, I took first and now hold the lap record for RTA. These new Hankook R-S3's had some CRAZY grip the 3rd through 5th runs once they got heated up (being 92 + humidity helped too). Car responded so well and I didnt adjust my pressures at all, 45psi all around. Definitely drove it a lot harder than at Toledo and turned some heads in the process. Way more "ultimate" grip than the stock tires and response was slightly better too.

Heres some pictures my wife took and then a video thats off-ride and on ride POV

First, the WRX with its White Drag DR-31s wrapped in Hankook R-S3s 245/40/17. The Autocross ONLY tire

Now the action shots:

And video:

I lowered that 4th run down to a 45.302 and that was with a VERY bad turn. So I think I could have gotten to 45 flat and would have been within .9 of the Track Record in DS long as I could get some slick tires. Too bad that wont happen for probably a year. But its a LOT of fun to scare people into realizing hey, Im actually a pretty good driver!

Ya know, if you can stop yourself at a set of AutoX Tires, you will just need to do slightly more maintenance and replace brake pads sooner. If you have a car thats built well (which, BMW's are) and you drive it pretty smoothly, I dont think you are putting that much wear and tear to increase your costs much. Yea, it can get ridiculously expensive but Ive sacrificed some of my photo budget to it because its just way - too - fun.

Just depends what youre comfortable with. I know the WRX is made for work like this so Im not real concerned. I will probably do my own oil change next and put in the purple crack and when these pads go, ceramic pads will be put on next. Should last longer, better braking and less dust.

First time I've seen one. There was a time when I was a bit intrigued by this car, but meh..

Ya know, if you can stop yourself at a set of AutoX Tires, you will just need to do slightly more maintenance and replace brake pads sooner. If you have a car thats built well (which, BMW's are) and you drive it pretty smoothly, I dont think you are putting that much wear and tear to increase your costs much. Yea, it can get ridiculously expensive but Ive sacrificed some of my photo budget to it because its just way - too - fun.

This is my problem, I don't do moderation

Though at this point I'd just be happy to get my car back. Haven't had it since the end of May

• 2 weeks later...

So, in my infinite learning of Adobe Illustrator, I decided to try my hand at illustrating a car.

It's inspired by the Smart Roadster, Mazda MX-5, and latest-generation Toyota MR2. It has exposed bodywork like the Smart that functions as a permanent roll bar. It's front-engined and rear-wheel drive. It can have a removable hard top or a trick soft top that rotates upward and slides down along the vertical portion of the roll bar and rests behind the seats. The trick soft top gives you all of your trunk space even with the top down.

In reality, it would be really tiny, at just 138.8 in (3,526mm) long; that is about 4 inches longer than the Smart, about 17 inches shorter than the second-gen MX-5 (my benchmark for scale), and just an inch longer than a Mark I Austin-Healey Sprite. Check it out!

roadster-01.thumb.png.3a705383f1acd754a158e053b9a35434.png

Not too bad at all Id say. I wouldnt be too terribly fond of that wheelbase you mentioned but thats what you were going for. I like sleaker lines so Id have something coming off the headrest/rollbar onto the trunk. The trunk and lights remind me of a MR2 Spyder which I dont really care for. I kinda dig the bulky fenders though.

I would. Thats one of the main reasons I love my WRX

• 2 months later...

I was at a car event yesterday and a McLaren development engineer turned up with an MP4-12C convertible! The first one is being delivered in a couple of weeks so there's not many knocking about right now.

The roof mechanism is lovely, I completely forgot to get video of it but needless to say they spent a lot of time making it look great and open/close fast!

photo.JPG.9d852dc8e494d71a7543df561e1ab250.JPG

I don't have any pictures unfortunately, but it seems like everyone in Cincinnati with a nice car is taking it out to enjoy what could be some of the last good driving weather of the year. In the last week alone while going to and from work (I work in a very expensive part of the city) I've seen an SLR McLaren, SLS AMG, Lamborghini Gallardo, Lamborghini Aventador, and more bentleys and porsches than I could count. In fact, when pulling into my office's parking lot after lunch one day, two separate client meetings were happening, both clients of which drove Bentleys. I felt silly parking my Sonata in between two Continentals haha. I wish I had a functioning camera on my phone to share picturer, but alas, I don't. This time of the year always seems to bring the nice cars out for that one last joy ride.

• 3 weeks later...