TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Visited the park for a few hours today, it was only a couple hours so I didn't take many pictures. Here's the few little things I noticed:

Ride of Steel: I rode it on the last day of the season last year and I distinctly remember it having a pretty nasty rattle towards the first banked turn past the first drop and on the second half of the first helix, this year, with the new trains it felt so much smoother! It wasn't perfect but it was much more comfortable! Also, the new restraints were shin saviors! I really appreciated the new leg room! I can't wait for them to get that second train next year!

Predator: I haven't rode this coaster in about 3 years because I had given up hope on it, but I decided why not today and was pleasantly surprised. It was still pretty rough, don't get me wrong, but that coaster packs one helluava punch! I was flying out of my seat the entire time thoroughly enjoying myself! I will absolutely be riding this one more frequently as the season progresses! (Though GCI or RMC would still be REALLY nice!!!)

Viper: I don't care what anyone says, this coaster is one of the smoothest Arrow Loopers out there! Of course I did ride it a little defensively, but that just added to the fun of the ride! I've always had a certain appreciation for the Viper so I can't really say much bad about it, EXCEPT how horribly unorganized the queue was in the station, where you honestly could not tell where the lines shifted to certain rows on the train!

Ignite the Night- Colorblast: I have always been a huge fan of the Darien Lake laser show, since it was Laserblast actually, and this new show was one of my favorite ones I've seen! My favorite production was 2008, but this one is a close, CLOSE second! I'll have a full video of the show up some time next week and I'll definitely be sharing it on here!

Since I only rode the 3 coasters and saw the show, that's all I have for now, I'll be going in depth in about 2 weeks, I'll follow up with an in depth (and picture filled) TR then! For now, I have a couple pictures I'll share now!

image.thumb.jpeg.7f34b2cac90ae6048ee9fd75282ddb1e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69978ef97c840cf28523422ec2013efa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.28d2fcad91eb8405ce0ee787d68a3302.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dd6df3b7ef9bc5364ad6154e9a696d4e.jpeg

Security is now really tight at the park. There are tents set up at the entrance for bag checks. They stop you even if you don't have any bags, and wave you with the wand. This is at all entrances, even at the back of the park. So if you want to ride Motocoaster you have to pass through. Speaking of that area, Twister is still closed and many of the shoulder harnesses are missing. I hope the park considers replacing it. Even though they have added some thrill rides lately, the net total has pretty much stayed the same with other rides being closed.

Now that it's worked itself in, RoS's train is really flying. For the first time ever I blacked out a little on the helix, which was a bit scary because that has never happened to me before. I really hope that another is ordered next year. Maintenance wise and accommodation/comfort wise, this train is working well.

Unfortunately, it might not be looking too good for a second train on Predator. I saw a single car by the transfer track, and it looked pretty gutted. Unless they are assembling it on the fly, they may have started partsing out the second train. If that is the case, it's a shame that the park cannot take care of their rides. Those trains are only 6 years old now since they came from Holiday World. Predator's crew is consistently the slowest, and a second train would be nice.

A couple of new upcharges have opened as well. The laser tag has opened, and there's one in Darien Square called "Animal Express". It's basically a bunch of large stuffed animals that can be ridden around near the arcade and General Store.

Security is now really tight at the park. There are tents set up at the entrance for bag checks. They stop you even if you don't have any bags, and wave you with the wand. This is at all entrances, even at the back of the park. So if you want to ride Motocoaster you have to pass through. Speaking of that area, Twister is still closed and many of the shoulder harnesses are missing. I hope the park considers replacing it. Even though they have added some thrill rides lately, the net total has pretty much stayed the same with other rides being closed.

Now that it's worked itself in, RoS's train is really flying. For the first time ever I blacked out a little on the helix, which was a bit scary because that has never happened to me before. I really hope that another is ordered next year. Maintenance wise and accommodation/comfort wise, this train is working well.

Unfortunately, it might not be looking too good for a second train on Predator. I saw a single car by the transfer track, and it looked pretty gutted. Unless they are assembling it on the fly, they may have started partsing out the second train. If that is the case, it's a shame that the park cannot take care of their rides. Those trains are only 6 years old now since they came from Holiday World. Predator's crew is consistently the slowest, and a second train would be nice.

A couple of new upcharges have opened as well. The laser tag has opened, and there's one in Darien Square called "Animal Express". It's basically a bunch of large stuffed animals that can be ridden around near the arcade and General Store.

The animals are in every WNY mall so I am not surprised they came to DL as well.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I will be there next weekend, I will check out the predator situation.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Here's my recording of the brand new Laser Show! I sat in the far back of the lawn to try and get the most into the recording while it was stationary on a tripod! I hope you guys enjoy! I would definitely recommend going to the park to see it first hand though, its always better in person!

Steve, I'll be coming to your great country in August to enjoy a few days at Darien Lake. My family always enjoys Laser Blast/Ignite the Night. This year's version looks amazing! Plus so many more fireworks too! Great! I can't wait! We don't have anything like that up here in Canada.

^^^^ battery powered. They don't go fast though. Built for a 5-10 year old. Although I've seen kids around 15 on them, they look like they struggle to move as well with the older kids.

I have actually seen girls around 18 riding them in the Galleria Mall...I was embarrassed for them.

So this and laser tag, eh?

PS - Just teasing, the laser show looks good.

There was one behind it last year as well to repair it. I believe that it only ran for a few weeks in total last season. At this point they should just replace it. Even if it reopens, it isn't going to run a good cycle. I'd rather see them put any money that they were going to use on that towards getting second trains running.

^^ Nope. That ride will forever be SBNO.

I heard that the lift is there to install the rusty stand-up coaster pieces currently in the hay field into the Galaxy Theater for an immersive indoor one-of-a-kind coaster experience.

Then it'll creep across the park to take down everything over on the hill in order to make way for Cuda Falls: The Revenge.

Then it'll circle back around to take down Predator for the all new Lake Monster in 2017.

But Lake Monster will not be an Intamin Mega Lite, mind you. Ohhhhh nooooo....it will be a ride where you climb aboard fuzzy, robotic Angry Birds that ride over Malarian Lake...and you will also have lasers and firework cannons so that you can 'ignite the night' on your own terms.

And I also heard that Ranger and UFO are coming back...

Does Huss even make Top Spins any more?

Yes, Huss still does manufacture the Top Spin. Here's a link to their page.

O.K. I was just wondering and I was thinking that if the Huss Top Spin model is still in production, maybe Darien Lake can invest in replacement parts for Twister or a "new" Top Spin ride. But as long as those "cheapskates" of CNL are at the "reins" of Darien Lake, they won't even think twice of investing in a new or used Top Spin ride for Darien Lake.

I think Top Spins are an "endangered" ride species at least in theme parks now a days.

^^ Nope. That ride will forever be SBNO.

I heard that the lift is there to install the rusty stand-up coaster pieces currently in the hay field into the Galaxy Theater for an immersive indoor one-of-a-kind coaster experience.

Then it'll creep across the park to take down everything over on the hill in order to make way for Cuda Falls: The Revenge.

Then it'll circle back around to take down Predator for the all new Lake Monster in 2017.

But Lake Monster will not be an Intamin Mega Lite, mind you. Ohhhhh nooooo....it will be a ride where you climb aboard fuzzy, robotic Angry Birds that ride over Malarian Lake...and you will also have lasers and firework cannons so that you can 'ignite the night' on your own terms.

And I also heard that Ranger and UFO are coming back...

To add to your saying, I've heard that Darien Lake is bringing back the old Cascade Canyon water slides and Nightmare at Phantom Cave as well!

I am going to be an optomist on this and say the lift is there to repair twister. Maybe they got some extra cash or got parts cheap, and the lift is actually there to make the nedded repairs so the ride can run this year.

It defintely is a good ride when running properly, and I really like the waterfall in front of it. For a small park that doesnt have much of those types of things, it is a rather pretty area. If they have to remove it, please put something good in that spot as the traffic isnt great and would need something to draw crowds off the beaten path

Here's my point of view on Twister. I don't dislike the ride one bit. It used to be one of my favorite rides in the whole park. But it has been years since it's been run correctly. I haven't seen a multiple flip cycle in years, and the waterfall doesn't even work most days. Last year it was down all year from the braking issues, now this isn't looking too good.

From what I've seen, it seems like more problems pertaining to the pneumatic (air) system. It's what the restraints and braking mechanism both work on, so I'm guessing that maintenance decided to overhaul the entire system over two years. But why don't they do these repairs in the offseason? They must have known that it was about time that these things had to be replaced.

Many parks are beginning to remove their Top Spins, and it's not a coincidence. They require a lot of maintenance and work. Knott's Riptide, Ripsaw, and SFNE's Twister have all been taken out over the past few years. And these are major parks who have a larger budget to maintain them.