TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

For me, in all honesty, I actually like the color schemes of Tempesto and Apollo's Chariot. I don't mind them. I don't like judging roller coasters by their colors...but rather the ride experience itself after I have ridden it. Perhaps this isn't the best location...perhaps this isn't the Busch standard...perhaps their announcement on Tempesto wasn't the greatest...perhaps would you rather have nothing? I'm looking forward to riding a great looking launch coaster next time I visit BGW!

I conquer. It should be a great addition to Festa Italia and will surely increase the traffic in that area of the park. It's been needing some TLC for years now. Despite the ugly, over done support structure, the color scheme is bad ass and contrasts nicely with Apollo's Chariot's. Its certain to spruce up the area. Speaking of spruce, I hope they add a few trees as the entire area could use few. Either way, I'll be front and center

^ Yeah, I remember Gladiator's Gauntlet! Why the heck doesn't it exist anymore is what I'd like to know!

A few pages late, but so be it.

I rode this and remember it being a snoozefest, even as a relatively small child. While impressive-looking to spectators, it got solidly underwhelming reviews from riders. Wiki says it was at BGW 88-93. The model is Canyon Trip, Vekoma brought it to the market in '87 and only sold four of them to BGW, Morey's, Nagashima, and a now-defunct park in the UK called American Adventure. Interestingly, I've heard multiple times that it was designed to invert and that BGW tested theirs with an inverting program before settling on a tamer one for guests. It did sport OTSRs. I suspect they didn't wish to experiment with wilder programs for fears of escalating maintenance costs, but that is pure speculation. I'm sure the maintenance was neither cheap nor fun to begin with.

Vekoma went on to slightly modify the design to create the Waikiki Wave (non-inverting, introduced 1991 and sold to Lotte World, Kentucky Kingdom, Formosan Village Taiwan) and Wakiki Wave Super Flip (inverting, introduced 1993 and sold to Dreamworld, SFMexico). I believe those last two still operate and, with the inversions, are apparently quite intense and popular. There may be a few more installations, either original or relocated. On the Waikikis, one of the arms is bendable/articulated, instead of the gondola sliding apart/together. And the seating orientation is like that of a Top Spin.

A few other companies have made versions of these "screwed up Top Spins", none particularly common: Moser (Maverick), Zamperla (Windshear), KMG (Discovery), Mondial (Supernova).

For me, in all honesty, I actually like the color schemes of Tempesto and Apollo's Chariot. I don't mind them. I don't like judging roller coasters by their colors...but rather the ride experience itself after I have ridden it. Perhaps this isn't the best location...perhaps this isn't the Busch standard...perhaps their announcement on Tempesto wasn't the greatest...perhaps would you rather have nothing? I'm looking forward to riding a great looking launch coaster next time I visit BGW!

Well put! I do think that it's placement looks cluttered. However, all you BGW people are getting a solid coaster. Over here in the SF Bay Area, we've had this for a few years. I've ridden it well over 300 times by my estimation, and it's the best ride in the park. Unique, smooth, fun, and some serious g forces. You'll love it.

Gladiator's Gauntlet sure looks like it was interesting. I got to ride it's descendent at Six Flags Mexico, and it was pretty thrilling- much better than normal Top Spins!

I liked watching the ride cycle- I think the colors are fun and it brings a bit more excitement to the area! I'd like to see a bit more going on near the back of Festa Italia (replace Roman Rapids please!) but at least this is something to accompany Apollo's Chariot. It's placed great to wave to people going up Apollo's lift as well. The rethemed gift shop is quite nice too.

AC's colors weren't an accident, and they aren't "loud for the sake of loud," they are the colors or Ancient Roman royalty. Also I bet Apollo gets painted soon. It is REALLY faded. Usually the coasters at BGW get painted every few years. I'm shocked it didn't get fresh pain last year for the anniversary.

Look at the difference between pre-anniversary LNM and post-anniversary!

I bet once Tempesto fades slightly, and AC gets painted, it's going to actually look pretty cool with the two there. I actually don't really mind it now. Theme parks are supposed to be bright and loud!

Gladiator's Gauntlet sure looks like it was interesting. I got to ride it's descendent at Six Flags Mexico, and it was pretty thrilling- much better than normal Top Spins!

I liked watching the ride cycle- I think the colors are fun and it brings a bit more excitement to the area! I'd like to see a bit more going on near the back of Festa Italia (replace Roman Rapids please!) but at least this is something to accompany Apollo's Chariot. It's placed great to wave to people going up Apollo's lift as well. The rethemed gift shop is quite nice too.

I rather liked Gladiator's Gauntlet precisely because it wasn't an intense flat ride--it was just weird and fun. It's too bad they didn't save Sea Dragon.

^ Definitely agree on Sea Dragon. From what I understand, both Gladiator's and Sea Dragon disappeared because they were a maintenance nightmare. I do recall GG having a LOT of down time, and actually got stuck on it once myself. I don't think Sea Dragon was down a lot, but apparently it had a lot of moving parts for a small flat ride. There's a part of me that always secretly hopes they find a spot to bring it back some day. It was actually a lot of fun/thrills considering it was a grounded flat ride!

For the curious, here's the sea dragon:

Well, if you miss Sea Dragon, just head to another European-themed theme park - Europa Park! They just refurbished their Sea Storm Ride, called Kolumbus Jolle, with lights, interactive boats (you control the spin) and canon to destroy two virtual walls!

Ow oh Tempesto. It's like a mix of Temperament and pesto, the two main ingredients for an Italian food fight.

This ride is just wrong. It's way too much in Apollo's comfortzone for a park with such landscape and space. I do love the look of twisty tangled up rollercoaster skylines like Port Aventura making Dragon Khan look small with Shambahala. but that is a world class ride that was build to impress and intimidate. Tempesto is a standard coaster model with no character at all compared to their world - record breaking thrill rides. Even grumpy old Ness is more interesting to ride, being an old school legend with the last remaining interlocking looper.

And for dessert, I really hated that extra Premier leg restrain on Skyscream. Rather ride a shaky Vekoma SLC than getting forced into that weird yoga position again. Totally took my focus off the ride though it was a pretty fun, new, layout. The wait won't be worth the ride, when it's over 30 min.

Sorry for those who are really excited, I just can't get BGW's choice for their new ride, no matter how hard I try.

Ow oh Tempesto. It's like a mix of Temperament and pesto, the two main ingredients for an Italian food fight.

Disregarding your opinion on the ride, I cringed at this.

Yeah! If you get very lucky on the train, you can see Verbilten, Loch Ness, Alpengeist, and Griffon all go over the rhine river at the same time. Then there was Ac, off by it's lonely self. I'm glad theres another coaster over there now. Even if I end up not liking it, seeing different coaster trains go by each other is fun.

The thing that has bothered me about Tempesto since they started building it is how ugly the supports are...

I agree. B&M and even Intamin have odd supports here and there when neccesary, but a majority of their rides tend to intentionally have a way with making the supports "fit" the circuit of their rides, to where they're almost artistic. The supports for this ride look clunky and rigid.

...if I had one word to describe this entire project it would be 'sloppy'. I too hold Busch parks to a higher standard than most and this just feels uninspired/thrown together. I hate to be a Negative Nancy but this is how I feel.

I have never been to this park, although I am looking forward to visiting some day! However, every single picture I've seen of this ride really makes me wonder if they could have found a better place to install it. It looks awkward, out of place, almost an eyesore that at first glance seems to not really been thought out well. Which is very odd considering how visually appealing most rides at Busch parks tend to be.

That being said, once you get on the ride, it looks like it will be a fantastic experience.

Wait, people are upset that Apollo's Chariot and Tempesto are too close together?

Point taken, but to be honest I also think that Griffon ruined the view from down on the river. Had it been able to drop down to the water I think it would've blended in well, but that elevated immelmann is just so obtrusive.

At least in that case, it's because Loch Ness Monster is in the way - a solid excuse in my book.

After seeing where it is in person, it didn't bother me a bit; in fact, I think it really freshens up Festa Italia.

I also think that the view of the three coasters from the bridge between Italy and Oktoberfest is great.

Edited by cfc

And for dessert, I really hated that extra Premier leg restrain on Skyscream. Rather ride a shaky Vekoma SLC than getting forced into that weird yoga position again. Totally took my focus off the ride though it was a pretty fun, new, layout. The wait won't be worth the ride, when it's over 30 min.

Now you sound just plain ridiculous. You're going to sit here and say you rather ride a Vekoma SLC instead of the best cloned rides in the world? I understand your displeasure with this ride but that is just something I cannot believe. I don't care if this ride was painted white with pink and vomit colored polka dots, there is no way I am choosing and SLC over it.