TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I'm heading down this weekend for a Sunday evening/Monday trip. What is the bag policy at the park?

no bags allowed on coasters, but there are "storage places" in front of the major rides for a very reasonable $1 (you get three tokens for a dollar, and the storage costs 3 tokens each time).

we combined, and left things on Apollo while riding that, Roman Rapids, Tempesto, and the other rides in the area. . then retrieved our items and moved to the next section of the park.

they will NOT let you leave things on the station floor, although the operators at Griffon did hold onto hats and glasses for folks.

I went over to the park this morning with a friend for the last day of Food & Wine. They're using the overflow parking lots on Rt. 60, and the the place is getting pretty busy (most likely because the weather stunk on Friday and Saturday).

^What was great about yesterday was that the park never felt overwhelmingly packed. Most of the coaster lines never crossed 30 minutes, with the obvious exception of Tempesto.

Speaking of it being busy, does the park have an agreement with the local governments that they can't affect traffic along I-64? When we pulled in around 10:30am, the line of cars waiting to enter the lots was stretching all the way to the highway. We routed ourselves onto the local roads to get around the backup, but by the time we got to the booths they were letting everyone in without paying. I'm definitely not complaining - we ended up with free preferred parking - but I can't imagine why a park would be willing to lose that much money, unless it it's out of their control.

^Good question. While the park will stop charging for parking in the early evening, I've never seen them forgo charging for parking that early in the day.

Then again, I avoid really busy days when possible.

^^ I think they might as I saw it once before, during Christmastown. Cars were backed up all the way down the ramp for 64 westbound around opening time and just as I got up to the parking booths they started to just wave cars through without paying.

Hey guys. Next week I'm knocking two parks off of my bucket list, being KD and BGW. I'm trying to decide which park to visit first. My original plan was for my wife and I to go to KD on Tuesday and ride the long awaited I305. We were going to take a day off to check out the Williamsburg area or maybe drive to Virginia beach, before going to BGW the following day.

My initial reasoning for this is because my not-so-enthusiast wife enjoys parks/coasters only a fraction of what I do. Two parks in three days is a little much to keep her interest and not burn her out. I wanted to get as many laps in on I305 the first day and really explore KI's sister park, since KI is our favorite park. I originally planned on going to BGW on our last day, because I think she will enjoy it more, especially after going coaster nuts at KD. BGW will mostly be reserved for casual riding in between drinking good beer and eating good food. This will also be our "cheat day," since we're big health/fitness junkies. I have a feeling she'll enjoy BGW a lot more than KI since we can just relax and take it easy at our own pace, where as I'm more goal oriented at KD.

I thought I had it planned perfectly until I started to think about it and read a few TPR side conversations. I'm concerned that with my first park being KD that I305 is going to make me enjoy any of the great coasters at BGW less than what I normally would. Some people say I305 makes them kind of numb to other experiences. I really wanted to stick to my original plan, but not if it's going to make BGW almost obsolete. I'd love to end our trip with a more pleasurable (park)experience for my wife, but not if it means the potential for ruining our trip to BGW in general.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Maybe the one day off will help or am I just thinking too much into it? Any advice is appreciated, as these are a couple of my most anticipated parks and I'd like to get maximum enjoyment out of them.

Thanks.

IMO, nothing could possibly make BGW "obsolete." While I305 is an amazing coaster, I'd say Busch Gardens is still the better park overall by far, and every one of its coasters holds up great, even after I305. Of course...I still think Alpengeist is a better coaster than I305, so my view isn't the majority's... Really though, Busch Gardens is just too good a park to not enjoy it, no matter where else you've been first.

^^Sounds to me like you answered you own question.

If you want to do the gentlemanly thing, put others before yourself, eat good food, drink beer, have a relaxing day, get that last night vacation BJ because you put her needs before your sinister agenda, and save your marriage. Spend a last pleasurable day at BGW.

But, if you want to be selfish, drive a stake into your marriage, make enemies, not get that last night vacation BJ. But maybe... ...just maybe, slightly lessen your unquenchable adrenaline needs a tiny amount for the excellent coaster collection they have at BGW. Then do KD last.

Sounds like a toss up to me.

IMO, nothing could possibly make BGW "obsolete." While I305 is an amazing coaster, I'd say Busch Gardens is still the better park overall by far, and every one of its coasters holds up great, even after I305. Of course...I still think Alpengeist is a better coaster than I305, so my view isn't the majority's... Really though, Busch Gardens is just too good a park to not enjoy it, no matter where else you've been first.

I agree--except for the part about Alpengeist being better than I305 (but that's a matter of taste).

Hey guys. Next week I'm knocking two parks off of my bucket list, being KD and BGW. I'm trying to decide which park to visit first. My original plan was for my wife and I to go to KD on Tuesday and ride the long awaited I305. We were going to take a day off to check out the Williamsburg area or maybe drive to Virginia beach, before going to BGW the following day.

My initial reasoning for this is because my not-so-enthusiast wife enjoys parks/coasters only a fraction of what I do. Two parks in three days is a little much to keep her interest and not burn her out. I wanted to get as many laps in on I305 the first day and really explore KI's sister park, since KI is our favorite park. I originally planned on going to BGW on our last day, because I think she will enjoy it more, especially after going coaster nuts at KD. BGW will mostly be reserved for casual riding in between drinking good beer and eating good food. This will also be our "cheat day," since we're big health/fitness junkies. I have a feeling she'll enjoy BGW a lot more than KI since we can just relax and take it easy at our own pace, where as I'm more goal oriented at KD.

I thought I had it planned perfectly until I started to think about it and read a few TPR side conversations. I'm concerned that with my first park being KD that I305 is going to make me enjoy any of the great coasters at BGW less than what I normally would. Some people say I305 makes them kind of numb to other experiences. I really wanted to stick to my original plan, but not if it's going to make BGW almost obsolete. I'd love to end our trip with a more pleasurable (park)experience for my wife, but not if it means the potential for ruining our trip to BGW in general.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Maybe the one day off will help or am I just thinking too much into it? Any advice is appreciated, as these are a couple of my most anticipated parks and I'd like to get maximum enjoyment out of them.

Thanks.

We just came back from this trip, and I'd recommend doing BGW 1st.

-- actually, since BGW and Colonial Wililamsburg are just 10 minutes from each other, I'd do BGW 1st, Colonial Wiliamsburg on the 2nd day (your wife will love it, and the Governor's Mansion, the Capital, and the Museum there are all worth seeing/touring).

BGW has a lot of shows, and of the shows I'd recommend trying to catch: Celtic Fire, Mix it up!, and the Predators show. London Rocks too, if you have the time. The other shows are missable. (check the show times tho, because we had to go back one day to catch Celtic Fire, since it was dark on the day we planned to see it).

in BGW, do NOT miss: Curse of DarkCastle, or Griffon, or Apollo's Chariot. . by far our favorite things in the park. And if you have time, the Rhine River Cruise was very relaxing.

in Kings Dominion, go to Volcano 1st. . bypass the open Dominator. . . you'll be able to knock out Volcano, Avalanche, Flight of Fear, Intimidator, Anaconda, and Backlot Stunt Coaster before the park gets crowded. . they are all right next to each other.

and do NOT skip Woodstock Express. . a great Jr. Coaster with a bunch of fun airtime.

I am really excited for Tempesto and Lochness Monster. Am I wrong here? Ive been on a few hypers to where I dont droul over them anymore, and while ShieKra was on my top ten (I'm sure Griffion will be better) its mostly the same ride. Verbolten looks great and I could easily trick my little brother onto it, I wish BBW was still there. Arrow Huss suspended coasters are great IMO.

Oh, really pumped for Shockwave at KD just because its a TOGO and I want to experience on for myself. Now i305, Volcano, and their waterpark on the same hand... Yes.

I highly suggest the very back row of Apollo's Chariot. Not one from the back, the very back.

This is correct--definitely a backseat ride, while Tempesto is best in the front seat.

Edited by cfc

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think we may end up doing KD first... again with the BJ thing...

We're going to get fast passes on both days, just in case. After hour long waits for Thunderbird over the weekend, we'd rather spend the money up front and be better safe than sorry. As for shows, they aren't our thing. I'm pretty much in it mostly for the coasters.

I've started a pilot project, where I take older coaster POVs, upscale them to 1080p (if necessary), double the bitrate, clean the audio quality, enhance the lighting, and smooth the framerate to 60FPS. I started with Intimidator 305 (which you can check out on my channel) and the embedded vid is my second project, Drachen Fire (which was significantly more challenging). It's pretty far from perfect, and pretty obviously upscaled, but I was still more or less pleased with the results. If anyone wants the upscaled video (which is ~115 MB) for personal consumption or if Robb or another TPR YT/FB person wants this, then let me know via email and I will try to send it to you (TBH no clue how). Enjoy the not-as-low-as-it-used-to-be quality of Drachen Fire!

Pro tip: Watch this on youtube.com to view it @60 FPS.

[youtu_be]https://youtu.be/aqCT-CgQbmw[/youtu_be]

Okay so I just got back from my two day excursion from the park with my girlfriend. I haven't been to Busch Gardens in 10 years so this was a brand new experience to me. All I could remember from the last visit was that the park was amazing and Apollo's Chariot was one of my favorite rollercoasters. Well this time around was just as awesome, this place really floored me. The rides were great and theming was top notch down to the last little detail. It was just a pleasure walking around the park with its beautiful landscaping and good food selection. The thing I think I loved most about Busch Gardens Williamsburg was how every coaster seems to be placed perfectly in its area (including Tempesto). The coasters weave in, out, over and under pathways seamlessly. I remember why I loved this place so much after this weekend and definitely could call it my favorite park. Now on to the rides:

LochNess Monster (3x) - I love me some Arrow Looper goodness. This coaster is a classic and for good reason, it still delivers a top notch ride. Smooth for its age (and for being an Arrow), it also delivers great airtime on the first drop and the tunnel is awesome as well. I love how photogenic the coaster is and pictures don't even do it justice until you see it in person. 8/10

Europe In the Air (1x) - I thought I was going to vomit with the cabin rocking back an fourth and the shaky screen. I suggest to try it once but it definitely isn't anything notable. I liked Corkscrew Hill better when it was there. 4/10

Alpengeist (2x) - Inverts are my favorite design from B&M and I'm proud to say I've ridden two of the better ones with Montu and Alpengeist. First day we rode it in the back row and it was intense as well as disorienting. This is another ride where pictures don't do it justice. This ride is absolutely massive as well as beautiful, definitely my favorite looking Invert. The second day we rode first row and I was really blown away. The front row really enhances the speed of the ride, my favorite part has to be the first Immelmann inversion where there is a near miss with the themed rocks and snow. Flying through the sheds was pretty damn cool as well. 9/10

Griffin (2x) - If Inverts are my favorite design from B&M than Dive Machines are a close second. I've been on both Shiekra and Griffin now and I can say both as amazing. I don't understand how some see this as a gimmick coaster because this thing delivers every time. I do not get tired of that holding brake before the first drop cause it just adds to the experience. These rides are intense and forceful so A+ in my book. I also love how Griffin weaves in an out of France. Flying under that bridge after the first drop is breathtaking. 10/10

Tempesto (1x) - This was my first go around on a newer generation Premier coaster. For all the complaints with how the ride was going to fit into the park, I for one thought it fit in fine and looked great. I rode in the back and I have to say this thing was crazy forceful but the ride felt a bit weird to me. Maybe I was expecting more airtime? It felt to me that the ride delivered a lot of positive forces and I was being pressed into my seat the whole ride. I still enjoyed it and wish I could have gave it another go around but the line was too long at that point since we hit Tempesto first thing in the morning the second day. 8/10

Roman Rapids (1x) - Fun rapids ride that left us a "good" amount of wet. Meaning that it was refreshing and we weren't absolutely drenched. 7/10

Trade Wind (1x) - I haven't been on a Himalaya in a long time before this....And that seems to be a mistake cause this thing kicked ass. I was being thrown around the entire time. Me and my girlfriend couldn't stop laughing the entire ride. 8/10

Apollo's Chariot (3x) - I'll start this ride review off with a "Hell Yes". Apollo's Chariot didn't open with the park our second day there so I was writhing in anticipation until the test runs were over. This coaster is still the same beast I remember it as. The back row delivers some rare B&M ejector air which I suggest everyone should experience at least once. I really could go on about this coaster all day but I won't cause I have the rest of this TR to write. 10/10

Verbolten (2x) - The surprise coaster of the trip. I honestly did not know what to expect for the ride that was replacing the legendary Big Bad Wolf. It was weird going there and not seeing that dark red track dangling over the Rhine. I will say after riding Verboten that it is a worthy replacement. This thing is insane, the launch into the pitch black show building was sick. The theming that simulates the trip through the Black Forest was well done too. The drop section of the ride was a new experience to me and took my surprise which I enjoyed very much. Of course we can't forget the well done finale featuring the drop over the Rhine. 9/10

DarkCastle (1x) - This dark ride opened the year of my last visit which was in 05. It still is a solid dark ride but I can say it has aged a tiny bit. Very fun though 7/10

Le Scoot (1x) - Our longest wait of the day, we didn't mind though as it is a well themed little log flume. 7/10

Escape From Pompeii (1x) - Haven't seen a chute the chutes this well themed outside of Jurassic Park the Ride. The fire effects are still as cool as ever. Could get a bit more wet though (I know the original problem with this ride pertaining to the wave it used to make). 8/10

Mach Tower (1x) - Ride was operating on and off all day and we were lucky enough to catch it at a point where it was operating. It provides an amazing view of the park and that alone is enough for a ride on it. The drop was considerable as well. 9/10

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.4d720bb7885a8ac37ee9d26ba95a2ee9.JPG

This view pulling into the parking lot brought a smile to my face.

IMG_0008.thumb.JPG.c8a47571479893e3c6e3c47b9b38765f.JPG

Being greeted by Apollo's Chariot and Tempesto from the parking lot.

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.a740aca5808d72e080881f8c742d94d7.JPG

Busch Gardens Logo outside the gate

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.d23243d07947ac9e705154a25172eaf7.JPG

Some festive landscaping for their 40th anniversary celebration.

IMG_0013.thumb.JPG.9128aa9632e6a32ba9800cdcc0f91138.JPG

From the front gate it is a quick walk through England to the other countries.

IMG_0014.thumb.JPG.8e1374abfad659d66889d7a03e3a748f.JPG

First up was Scotland where you are greeted by these two gentlemen. They seemed to embellish being in the center of everything.

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.c7b527fca72bc9a8cfecd10ce48217cb.JPG

Oh they had Clydesdales too.

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.4ae31a5e42414ff863b664a403b78d50.JPG

Clydesdale Ft. Sheep

IMG_0016.thumb.JPG.ae29ac25ee971c3f498bcf3bbb00206d.JPG

Some sort of yellow beast snaking its way through the canopy.

Edited by Jcoaster

^That video just confirms that BGW did the right thing by tearing it down.

This thing would probably make Anaconda seem smooth.

The demolition of Drachen Fire did make Anaconda the worst coaster in Virginia.

Part 2

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.555ab47650a2d2f562a40c6527654204.JPG

Its Nessie!!

IMG_0021.thumb.JPG.24d41e07259b6d61eeaa2c7db82821f9.JPG

Some monster catchin stuff

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.99eaaf36d857751a5560d67b850f32d6.JPG

Here she is now.

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.6a20b584d996ae5e4e6eedbd3867ad1e.JPG

Nessie doing her thang

IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.93c1f71cfe37a517af3fbd02dab2dd46.JPG

Really such a beautiful coaster

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.13c7fa9a34802322968e0aac2f350e78.JPG

Meh.

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.1bbd5d3c9d5b70a64a355e92701249a4.JPG

Whats a trip to Busch Gardens without some beer?

IMG_0035.thumb.JPG.dfd2760680639348209a5786f6f8cab9.JPG

The predator show was pretty cool

IMG_0038.thumb.JPG.dbc8a1631330713955a0fa03389b7713.JPG

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.b958df3b12b0c53a9279e8aed3681820.JPG

After the predator show we strolled over to Alpie

IMG_0045.thumb.JPG.617e2d0e80a7370ab2418585cdc74268.JPG

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.0cda5e6afd2b01fdb4a45d34086fa67d.JPG

The lair of the beast.

IMG_0046.thumb.JPG.b75c04bb8006c457b4ba3c7038811c63.JPG

Have fun on your ski trip guys!!

IMG_0022.thumb.jpg.81a68acfa8678f3fe8cd77a06cd10733.jpg

"I'm a cobra"

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.23bf132d85913a48a29b38735f7eb948.JPG

"Wee-wee, I'm Griffin".

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.8ae89d2e8aa84c5eb6a95fd6b6af0145.JPG

Awesomeness

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.00adb0afe6ab3aa92ce3c05900b43732.JPG

"Sploosh"

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.7105aa01223223e0c885db4898f35211.JPG

"Come and plummet to your doom on me, Griffin." Stay tuned for part 3 coming soon!!

Griffin (2x) - If Inverts are my favorite design from B&M than Dive Machines are a close second. I've been on both Shiekra and Griffin now and I can say both as amazing. I don't understand how some see this as a gimmick coaster because this thing delivers every time. I do not get tired of that holding brake before the first drop cause it just adds to the experience. These rides are intense and forceful so A+ in my book. I also love how Griffin weaves in an out of France. Flying under that bridge after the first drop is breathtaking. 10/10

THANK YOU!!! This is what I have been trying to tell people in the Cedar Point Thread for the longest time. They just don't seem to get it. Dive Machines are a much "over looked" coaster by coaster enthusiast. They are great rides!! Glad you had fun! Can't wait for part 3 of your photos! The photos were great! Thanks for sharing!

Part 3 (The Final Part) (I promise)

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.080507a28311351f92dfb42ce7169eb2.JPG

Day 2 started off with Pesto the Pasta coaster.

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.8c0d639202a86e32ae84e19051116267.JPG

My favorite pasta is Rigatoni.

IMG_0062.thumb.JPG.74ded514ad20cec250255c67f52f30f6.JPG

The ride ops for Tempesto were hauling.

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.1f5385b7c8d2b197fe4855fe8c76e39c.JPG

Thats one messed up noodle.

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.801367982e1b358be2ea9b54c71dca56.JPG

Surprise ride of the trip.

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.22ab5ba2ace1cafd847d49636b1fe373.JPG

"This is where you line up to ride me you mortals."

IMG_0093.thumb.JPG.0a2a3b10701c649c3ffa6c4e8c25d897.JPG

Red Clam.

IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.4bcf47b4fc65943cd53cd4ad18186f0d.JPG

I love the funky pre-drop on this coaster.

IMG_0089.thumb.jpg.7c56f27f09f32e95357ddaaea2f74444.jpg

Besides the fires, earthquake and sense of peril Pompeii is quite beautiful.

IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.432ea342493b6eeaadf8067e475d45f4.JPG

As is the entire Italy section of the park.

IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.2a388ca476a68177b0e32c45e22f29da.JPG

San Marco.

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.ea22631c630598984fa8a4eb03ef891f.JPG

Verbolten: "Come for the ride, stay for the Bratwurst."

IMG_0075.thumb.JPG.a44cbd56957159e8cdb438801f8f3b35.JPG

This coasters queue is incredibly themed.

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.7a90dc080d0d379e58b9e45a1a5801eb.JPG

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.02907d76dfe87965164a0c3b83a82d01.JPG

IMG_0096.thumb.JPG.b50a5210ff4f5872458abca33f244784.JPG

My two favorite things.

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.dbdb5c3ada6cd23fa5ca954e08a4bfda.JPG

"This photo trip report does not endorse drinking and driving."

IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.e0ae05d5e93688d0051ab525d0c95050.JPG

Spooky.

IMG_0081.thumb.JPG.6891cd1ef0e4fa90a6df9d3131ec5e13.JPG

Back through Germany to ride Le Scoot.

IMG_0044.thumb.JPG.696336c4741cca443497db976e0f35d7.JPG

New Mixtape by Le Scoot featuring Alpengeist.

IMG_0087.thumb.JPG.b7deddc57e9c0f134462047b716e5ccd.JPG

The Rhine River Cruise gave some interesting views of some of the coasters. Especially Apollo's Chariot and Verbolten.

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.c10f985540365a4c42be6cd066f06f07.JPG

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.9354f47c733e29859939dbe1174b53cd.JPG

I said no drinking and driving!! Now look what you've done!

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.50bfc126502717080842d1a8bd2ed14e.JPG

Money Shot.

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.63904d40ae04d6f63c84628333ed3b5d.jpg

There once was a Dragon here....They killed it.

IMG_0095.thumb.JPG.c2dd103e3236de20c78a15b9082af929.JPG

Hope you guys give this trip report "two thumbs up."