TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 468: Loch Ness Monster Media Day Report

When you say "Jamestown" do you mean the national historic site (that is, Jamestown Island)? You could do that in half-a-day (it's definitely worth a visit). Note that the Colonial Parkway, which connects Jamestown-Williamsburg-Yorktown, is a big construction zone. Sections of it are closed, but I think you can still take it from Rt. 199 to Jamestown Island.  They have clearly marked detours, otherwise. 

As for Colonial Williamsburg, it all depends on what you want to see. The big draws are the Governor's Palace and the Capitol. You can walk around CW all you want without paying, but you need paid admission for the buildings. 

I think the only attraction with limited QQ access is DarKoaster (that's on QQ+). QQ will also be useful for Pantheon, Verbolten, and the Loch Ness Monster (it's been drawing fairly decent crowds since it reopened).

22 hours ago, haydn12 said:

We always hit Food for Thought restaurant multiple times on our trips to the area.  They are busy no matter what time you go. 

Wow! Yelp looks great. Thanks!

23 hours ago, cfc said:

When you say "Jamestown" do you mean the national historic site (that is, Jamestown Island)?

Thanks!

Jamestown Island/National Historic site for sure. Walking through Williamsburg might give us our fill, although we don't mind paying extra. I don't really understand the draw on the Governor's Palace. It seems to be a pristine replica. There just doesn't seem like a ton we want to do there.

We're fascinated by the Jamestown history we recently reviewed, and the extreme hardships faced.

It took us 2 days to go through all of Colonial Williamsburg.  We did get interrupted the 1st day by a thunderstorm around 3pm that dumped at least 2 inches of rain.

• Like 1

I'd love to, but it just comes down to time. I could use our extra lounge day to explore, but we wouldn't be taking full advantage of the resort with the absence of our daughter. 

On 6/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, cfc said:

But if you want to navigate a hedge maze, the Governor's Palace has you covered.

image.png.16d5213c759cecefc0229be5f0fda04c.png

I'm a big fan of a good hedge maze. Some people like a corn maze, and while the corn maze might be easier to grow and typically much larger it is usually just a seasonal attraction, where as a hedge maze takes a true artisan to craft and maintain. When it comes right down to it in the debate between a hedge maze and a corn maze I'm going with the hedge maze 99% of the time. I'll save that 1% chance just incase there something really cool going on out there in the world of corn mazes that I'm not aware of, but otherwise my allegiance lies with the hedge maze.

12 hours ago, Hilltopper39 said:

I'm a big fan of a good hedge maze. Some people like a corn maze, and while the corn maze might be easier to grow and typically much larger it is usually just a seasonal attraction, where as a hedge maze takes a true artisan to craft and maintain. When it comes right down to it in the debate between a hedge maze and a corn maze I'm going with the hedge maze 99% of the time. I'll save that 1% chance just incase there something really cool going on out there in the world of corn mazes that I'm not aware of, but otherwise my allegiance lies with the hedge maze.

Hay man! Us fulk frum Illinois resint yer statemints about the superier corn mayze! 😄 

I kid. But seriously guys, thanks for all of the great advice. 

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2024 at 10:07 AM, Haymaker said:

Rocco's Smokehouse on Bypass was fantastic last time I was there.

As a local, I've driven by that place many times, but I have yet to eat there. (I did have lunch at Basset's, the joint that used to be there, a few times.) But I'm always up for a good steak. 

• Like 1

I was just at the park this past week for 2 days, have the operations always been this awful?  I haven't been for about 10 years, but I swear I remember the ride ops being pretty good and caring about doing a good job back then, it feels like everyone is either moving in slow motion or checking their phone every dispatch.  Am I just getting old and crotchety?

We visited for the first time last year and decided it was the same experience at both Busch Gardens parks -- almost all good experiences with employees, with the exception of the Pantheon crew (and we also were there two days) and in Tampa the Cheetah Hunt crew (about 3 years ago). It was very ride-specific in our experience.

8 hours ago, BobloLives said:

We visited for the first time last year and decided it was the same experience at both Busch Gardens parks -- almost all good experiences with employees, with the exception of the Pantheon crew (and we also were there two days) and in Tampa the Cheetah Hunt crew (about 3 years ago). It was very ride-specific in our experience.

It was the Pantheon and Tempesto crews, all the other ones seemed to at least be trying

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, we will be visiting BGW and KD Sunday and Monday. Is BGW the busier of the two like I would expect? Should we go to Kings Dominion on Sunday and Busch Gardens on Monday? Or does it not really matter? Thanks!

10 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Just get QQ and roll the dice, like I'm doing next Friday. Worth it for Le Scoot alone.

Send it.

Part of a large and already expensive roadtrip. Any sort of Quick Queue/Flash Pass is not an option. 

15 hours ago, abovethesink said:

Hey all, we will be visiting BGW and KD Sunday and Monday. Is BGW the busier of the two like I would expect? Should we go to Kings Dominion on Sunday and Busch Gardens on Monday? Or does it not really matter? Thanks!

Either park would be a good fit for Monday (shouldn't be all that busy).  For BGW, I recommend getting on DarkKoaster first thing, as it'll draw long lines most of the day, followed by Pantheon. Loch Ness Monster is drawing decent crowds too, thanks to its rehab.

1 hour ago, cfc said:

Either park would be a good fit for Monday (shouldn't be all that busy).  For BGW, I recommend getting on DarkKoaster first thing, as it'll draw long lines most of the day, followed by Pantheon. Loch Ness Monster is drawing decent crowds too, thanks to its rehab.

Thanks. I worded the question poorly though. I figured either would be light Monday. The question I meant to ask was which would be busier on Sunday? Thanks again

2 hours ago, cfc said:

I'm guessing the norm even on slow days this year includes consistent lines for Pantheon, DarkKoaster, and Le Scoot? Will QQ be a waste next Friday, or will we save a little time?

2 hours ago, abovethesink said:

Thanks. I worded the question poorly though. I figured either would be light Monday. The question I meant to ask was which would be busier on Sunday? Thanks again

I think I'd go with Busch Gardens on Sunday and Kings Dominion on Monday.

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I'm guessing the norm even on slow days this year includes consistent lines for Pantheon, DarkKoaster, and Le Scoot? Will QQ be a waste next Friday, or will we save a little time?

Pretty much (especially for DarKoaster and LeScoot). I doubt that QQ will be essential on Friday (Saturday--definitely). 

• Like 1

We might even just switch the plan to go Wednesday or Thursday. I personally wouldn't mind just getting QQ and not caring if some rides are station wait. But, my wife is always irritated when I do that. I'm betting Wednesdays or Thursdays will even be less busy than Fridays?

We only go to 1-2 parks by ourselves per year, anymore. It's just as rewarding to take our four-year-old daughter on all of the children and family rides. But, seeing as these opportunities are rarities, I want to make it count.

^ We’ve always errored on the side of caution and have purchased QQ even on weekdays at BGW and have never considered it a waste. 

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but did want to share two things about QQ at this park. If you do have a higher tier annual pass, you can get as much as 50% off daily QQ for you and your party. We live in Orlando and do this at BGT several times per year. The issue though is that the website doesn’t consistently apply the discount, and at BGW specifically we had to go to Guest Services to purchase with a discount. 

Second, most if not all of the QQ lines route you through the exit rather than via a merge point right at the station. I suppose if’s fundamentally  better than Millennium Force’s merge point which is a half mile away, but there’s still that 20-seconds of awkwardness while you budge in front of those in the standby line.

It’s nowhere near as pleasant of an experience as say FL+ at KI and I also don’t recall them accepting row requests either. For what makes us happy for a day at the park, it’s still 100% worth it though - especially if you don’t like to be in close proximity to sweaty people lol. 

• Like 1