TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

G force records

Well, I know that up untill it became Zonga, Taz's Texas Tornado had a vertical Gs record of 6.7Gs (not counting old coasters such as Flip Flap Railway that pulled 12Gs), but I was wondering what coasters hold the records today. Especiallly latreal Gs and negative vertical Gs

I mean, years ago someone told me that 1.5Gs was abou s high as you could get on either one of those, but ever since I've been on or seen coasters that seem to have so much more than that.

I've seen a nolimtis recreation of Steel Hawg that seems very accurate, and yet, that first turn pulls latreal Gs that are in the red - so I can't help but wonder what's incorrect, Nolimits' physics engine, or just it's ocncept of what's a normal amount of Gs on a ride.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the banking^

NL's physics is already off dealing with it (not the same trains, for instance) but the ride features a lot of "Akward" banking all over it that keeps the G's in check that NL cant do

Moonsault scramble/Zonga/Mindbender/etc are all exceedingly intense g-wise, scrambles been torn down, tho, sadly

^^ There are several coasters that are pushing -1.5 g's over some hills and down first drops. T-Express is one of them.

Lateral g's on the other hand then there is really only one contender that I'm aware of, Space 2000 at Gyeongju World pulls around 4 g's!! in the entrances into it's corkscrews.

I believe Dodompa is the record holder for negative g's with somewhere around -1.7/ -1.8 on the one top hat, but I'm not quite sure what the positive record holder is. I know that there’s this disturbing single cart coaster called Tower of Terror at Gold Reef City that's built into an old coal mine and has a slightly twisting 90 degree drop and that pulls somewhere around 6.3 on it's sub-terrain dive. Think I’m joking?

This thing scares me.

^Was the device measuring the G forces properly anchored? Because I remember that on the midwest trip someone had a G-force measuring devide that he just held on to or something, and as a result of that it measured around 6Gs vertical on a pinafari Zyklon coaster.

Bolder Dash pulls 2g lateral for almost 6s in the "turn around" part.

But the park is planing to fix that because the trains are tearing the turn to pieces. The park want to have a trim break before the turn but GCI wants to re-bank the turn.

Measured lateral forces on Boulder Dash.

^^^ The sensor is secured to the riders heart-line with a "rubber and velcro"-band around the body of the rider and the storage unit is hidden in a pocket or hold in a hand for security.

I think Thriller (later known as Texas Tornado/Zonga/Tsunami) was the record holder due to its circular inversion. I remember hearing some crazy number in the 7G range. It may have just been fluff to make the ride seem even more exciting though. But, it's no doubt that thing pulled some serious Gs before it was modified.

So right now, the coaster witht he highest estimated vertical Gs is Tower of Terror?

Also, are there any coasters with latreals between 2 and 4? Because it seems kind of weird to me that Space 2000 has twice more latreals than any other coaster

Bolder Dash pulls 2g lateral for almost 6s in the "turn around" part.

But the park is planing to fix that because the trains are tearing the turn to pieces. The park want to have a trim break before the turn but GCI wants to re-bank the turn.

Measured lateral forces on Boulder Dash.

Would you mind posting the positive/negative acceleration and forward/backwards acceleration charts? These would be very useful to me. Thanks.

Awesome, thank you. How would you recommend reading them? For example, the negatives seem to stay around 0 for the most part, with the exception of those short spikes. Would you consider those to be noise, or just quick (not sustained) instances? Also, do you remember what seat these were taken from?

Mindbender in Galaxyland pulled 6.75 before they removed the last car on the train. They removed it specifically to lower G Forces but Mindbender still goes from 5.5 and up from what I've seen depending on train weight and such. I'm fairly sure the car removal had nothing to do with Mindbender's accident.

^As far as I know the trains changing was directly a result of the accident. If my memory serves me correctly, the maintenance team was only able to properly maintain the lead cars due to either a mistranslation of the manual or not being able to read the manual at all(can't remember which) and as a result, the failure happened in one of the other cars. Because of this and not wanting to risk ever having an accident like this again, they built trains completely from the lead cars which is why the trains are so odd looking on this ride compared to other Schwarzkopf coasters.

actually, i think the “all lead car” trains were simply done to ease the stress on the axles and wheel assemblies by doubling the number of axles per car — i'm pretty sure the untranslated manual didn't have anything directly to do with the redesign at all (although it did have a lot to do with the accident!)