TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amusement Park Drive In!

^The website says the rides don't play during the movie.

I think they're just trying to get people to come to the drive in earlier, and stay later, buying more food and paying for some rides.

Seems like a decent idea, but I don't see the drive-in coming back to mainstream popularity anytime soon.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been to the amusement park drive in theater there in laurel montana. in fact i've been there a few times. 2 movies for 10 bucks is a great deal. and a few years back they had a triple header. first off was one of the x men flicks. followed by superman and poseidon. i slept through most of superman but the the others were ok. the first show started around 10pm and it was 430am when i left the theater. my girlfriend and i will soon be moving out there to montana so well be there on occasion. the tricky part about the theater is finding it. its just off the interstate. and heading east you can see it on the hill.

My parents are both from Montana, and my grandpa still lives in Billings (which is very close to Laurel). I will actually be going to Billings next month, but I don't think the coasters will be there yet. Maybe I'll try for some construction pics!!!

My grandpa told me that the coaster is being billed by the local media as "A ride never seen before ANYWHERE!!!" I cannot think of a more accurate description for a 30+ year old used mouse coaster.

lol Man of all the Drive-in's around here (6 within a 100 mile radius according to drive-ins.com), not one of them have rides. Of course I only usually go to two or three of them regularly, so I'm not sure if any of them actually do! That's a cool idea though, and a few credits for Montana!

^^Not at all--each will have his place in the "Great Drive-In Movie Ride." Why, the Russ Meyer section alone will be of monumental proportions!

Would that be the Faster Pussycat Speedway? It would be setup like Autopia, but with cooler cars and chicks in tight outfits..

The Tura Santana AA gets to beat up the losing driver.

There used to be a drive-in about 30 minutes from where I live, but I think they tore it down. It may have been abandoned, I'm not sure.

It's sad to see such a recognizable piece of Americana on the verge of extinction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll be going to Amusement Park Drive In in about a week. I was wondering if anybody knew if the wild mouse is operating yet and if they let adults ride on the kiddie coaster. When I called last week, their recording said that "the coaster" is open, but I don't know which one they're referring to. When I called today the person that answered had no clue.

Edited by sixflagsguy5

There's a chance I might go to the Amusement Part Drive-In sometime in July or August. We're passing through to go visit Mount Rushmore. We might also do Silverwood on the way back, but we'd probably do it seperately throughout the summer.

EDIT: I visited the Drive-In and I was disappointed. Though I didn't really get to go into the park, the rides were pretty small and the Mad Mouse coaster wasn't assembled (I was COMPLETELY wrong, it's an older Mad Mouse style fair ride, not an S&S El Loco. Sorry, looked at the wrong page on RCDB). I saw the first 'mega kiddie coaster' credit that went around the screen, and it looks 'interesting'. The Mad Mouse coaster was to the right of the screen (facing the screen from the entrance) and a few small supports were up. A big group of kiddie rides was in front of and to the left of the screen, including a mini-mini ferris wheel, a big pink slide, and all the rides Robb pointed out from the start. It was pretty dirty (the whole lot was just dust. But hey, most drive-in's are dirt, right?), it was smelly (next to a horse ranch and what seemed to smell like a sewage treatment plant) and small (about the size of some bruises you'd recieve on the worst of Boomerangs).

Overall, it's a great idea. But, even though I'm forming my opinions from a few outside looks, I'd just go there to see a movie, and maybe if the coaster opened.

• 5 years later...

I am just checking this thread out now for the first time. It is very neat that they incorporate rides into the Drive In package. I can see from their Facebook page that they are still open and doing pretty well. Does anyone know the status of the Wild Mouse they had? I can't find pictures anywhere really of the rides at the park from recent.