TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

18 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Over the past few days, I've noticed Six Flags scaling back their coaster offerings at a few of their parks for Holiday in the Park.  There are a few emails floating around on social media, but it looks like Thunderbolt will be the only coaster open for HITP.  It will be one of three adult rides open along with the Carousel and Scrambler.

I've always been one to drive the extra few hours in winter to Great Adventure, but I'm hoping their ride list doesn't get scaled back as well.

I really hope they do add a few more rides to that list that I've seen circulating.  I know that it's a smaller event than Great Adventure's but I have enjoyed the park during this time of the year.  I thought they did a really solid job of adding the event to SFNE when they did.  I understand the scaling back just hope it's somewhere in the middle instead of cut way back.

The only parks scaling back are the two parks in markets that didn’t allow them to open their rides last year due to Covid restrictions. I feel like this is partially a staffing thing and also caution about new restrictions when cases inevitably rise this winter. Hopefully next year things are back to normal.

I will say...if that list is accurate then having the Scrambler being one of the rides open is a BIZARRE choice. It's way out of the way and nothing else would be open within 1000 feet of it.

Anyway...brief Sunday report. Park was pretty busy, but hit the two essentials plus a few extras and are dinner in the 4 hours I was there.

Arrived around 3 and hit DC first thing. Rode Skyflyer for the first time which was fun albeit a brief cycle. Queue building was only 1/3 full but this was still a 4 cycle wait as there are only 24 seats (and 4 of them were roped off). Missed the upside down view of Superman that Nightwing used to give in the same spot although obviously this is a much more comfortable ride than the old George Forman Grill Flying Machine.

Hit Superman with a quick 5 minute wait and rode in row 3. Running great as usual. Still weird how forceless it feels now compared to most modern coasters. Almost like a Morgan hyper but really really good.

Got in line for Cyborg next which I still had never ridden. Indoor section was almost full which was about 4 cycles. These new Trabants are fun, what more is there to say?

Headed to the South End and the crowds really started picking up at this point. Harley Quinn, Riddler, and Batman were all near or over an hour so hit Crime Wave (a walk on) before a 15 minute line for Joker which was a great ride.

Tried JBs for dinner but the line was out the door (Patriots AND Brady were playing so...yeah) so ended up getting a Cheesesteak and beer across from Flashback. Not too bad for park fare. Nice to not wait an hour for food like that clusterf*ck that was Kings Island...in fact I'm pretty sure I didn't see any closed restaurants or food stands today. Nice job SFNE.

While the lines in the North End were also pretty long there was one I was willing to wait in. Wicked Cyclone had a line almost to the entrance, but despite the front rows of each train being closed for some reason and plenty of stacking, 45 minutes later I was in the backseat on the train to crazytown. Most of my rides on this have been early morning on hot days when it drags through the whole course. Tonight it was a little cooler and it was visibly running faster than I've ever seen it. And yeah...some of those quick pops of air were hitting so hard that it was borderline painful. When this thing is running full speed the layout is basically the 2nd half of Steel Vengeance...batshit crazy.

Headed out after that, happy to have gotten on what I wanted to despite it being on the busy side. Seems weird to have only been there on opening day and closing day this year, but both visits I thought they were in good shape.

1031211715_HDR.thumb.jpg.0d9577e5a57342c3e4f31a0056586627.jpg

I was surprised to see they've done next to nothing with Fireball since it got smooshed by a severe storm in June. The train is gone but there's still a bunch of debris lying around and the entry gates are still all bent. Looks weird without a grove of trees behind the ride.

1031211725.thumb.jpg.c38b1f7e77deb840cda4916066b1af15.jpg

No signs of the crane by Goliath, nor did I see any signs of deconstruction. However, I did notice these wires under one of the lift spikes. Not sure what these used to be hooked in to.

1031211716_HDR.thumb.jpg.a07bf6aa7cf013ff334961a9667bdf27.jpg

WTF is Carnevil and what did it do to Area 51?!? That was always my favorite theme of Frightfest. :( Speaking of which, I didn't do any houses but they seemed to have decorated the main midways more than usual this year. Lots of...uhh...cut up bodies and stuff on Main St.

1031211822.thumb.jpg.e24f1f2e01defa71a6bce39899c87175.jpg

Goodnight SFNE!

Wonder if they'll just replace it with a new one...

Also wondering about Tomahawk. The last couple times I rode it, it barely swung and theres been plenty of reports over the past years of it smelling like smoke at times. Not sure how often it's been closed this year but was surprised to see it closed Sunday. It was a fun ride in its heyday but gotta wonder if Harley Quinn has made it obsolete and they can do something better with that spot.

16 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I don't think Fireball was all that popular.  When they put a new ride there, I imagine it will be a different one.

Definitely agree. Plus just adding a new one gives them no new marketing either. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

If any park actually buys thing thing, they’re stupid. I can’t be kind about this.

If a park puts it back together with a Vekoma train and has Vekoma come in and reprogram like Silverwood did, I don't think they are stupid. It could be a great investment at the right park. 

• Like 1

Would look good on the hill at SFSTL. If they don't have the original train have Vekoma make a new vest train for it 

But Frontier City one of the few smaller Six Flags parks without a Boomerang already so that would make sense 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, grsupercity said:

Would look good on the hill at SFSTL. If they don't have the original train have Vekoma make a new vest train for it 

But Frontier City one of the few smaller Six Flags parks without a Boomerang already so that would make sense 

Darien Lake is an option and it would fit right in to that stellar lineup LOL. I’m pretty sure the original train is long gone now. They doubled down with trying to make the new train work but I’m glad it’s done at SFNE. 

8 hours ago, Sluggo77 said:

Darien Lake is an option and it would fit right in to that stellar lineup LOL. I’m pretty sure the original train is long gone now. They doubled down with trying to make the new train work but I’m glad it’s done at SFNE. 

You just made me realize...Goliath is being relocated to Darien Lake right next to their Boomerang and Ride of Steel is being relocated to SFNE so they can have two Intamin hypers. It all makes sense!

• Haha 2

Dang!  Goodbye Goliath!  Feels like we just got you and it's already time to say goodbye.  Makes sense though as it was often down for repairs.

Still, I've never heard my wife scream as loud as she did the first time she rode Goliath...