TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

So according to Screamscape there's speculation that the old Goliath trains may be returning.

(5/22/13) While SFNE guests await the opening of Goliath, a reader did snap a picture of the new train sitting in the station with the water dummies loaded and ready to ride. While there was hope to have the ride tested and open in time for this holiday weekend, the latest rumor send in does not paint a pretty picture.

According to our source, the new train was seen being taken OFF the rails. While this could just be for some kind of maintenance project, I’m told that there seems to be some kind of issue with the new trains moving too fast for the lift hill catch car. (Of course, the original trains also didn’t play well with the catch cars, so this isn’t entirely a new issue.)

While I suppose they could be trying out a more sticky wheel to try and slow down the train a bit, the more concerning rumor going around is that the old trains may be put back onto the coaster this week instead and the new Premier Rides trains could be sent back for some retooling. Anyone know more?

Link

If this is true, that's fine with me. I have no issues with the existing trains and would really like to see this ride up and running again. Still, this project is turning into a real clusterf**k.

First this:

I’m told that there seems to be some kind of issue with the new trains moving too fast for the lift hill catch car.

And then this:

Looks like the park managed to get the train to valley:

I feel kind of bad for whoever's in charge of getting these trains to work. But I must admit I have this funny picture in my head of engineers screaming to each other "make it go slower!" . . . only to have it valley in the next test run.

I'm visiting SFNE on Monday during memorial day. Just wondering if I should expect crowds and if I should buy a fast past. Thanks!

You'll have no problem riding all of the coasters without a Flash Pass, but obviously if you want a lot of re-rides it's probably a good idea. Don't buy it online... see how the lines are at the park and make your decision then. On the off chance that Goliath opens you can only ride that with a platinum flash pass.

Alright so my brother and I were planning to hit up Quassy and Lake Compounce today and SFNE tomorrow but since all three parks have shut because of the rain we're going to try to squeeze them into one day. Will be getting to SFNE at open and have about 4-5 hours to get everything in, what coasters should we hit up first to minimise wait times? Goliath and Bizarro? Or are there slower-loading ones that I need to plan around? We'll grab Flash passes if we need to.

I think Goliath is closed so I'd head to Pandemonium first as that line moves really slowly, Flashback has a slow moving line too so hit that while you're over there. You can knock out Cyclone too because it's over in the same end of the park. After that head over to Batman and Mind Eraser (if you're a credit whore or have a fetish for pain) and then come back to the middle of the park and ride the mouse, Thunderbolt and Bizarro. Take advantage of the fact that everyone goes to Bizarro first.

You probably don't need a Flash Pass if you get there at opening but it couldn't hurt. If you have time... check out Tomohawk and Buzzsaw too as they're pretty good flats.

Got there early today and knocked everything over in a few hours. Batman was way better than I was expecting. Cyclone was running nice and smooth (Thunderbolt was definitely not).

Bizarro was as awesome as I'd hoped, got in 4 rides and the rear cars seemed better. Nearly got a 5th ride in but lucked out and got a seat with a short seatbelt so it wouldn't quite buckle. This was unexpected since I'd had at least two inches of slack on every other ride but still had a great day.

Cyclone was running nice and smooth (Thunderbolt was definitely not).

Are you sure you're not getting them confused? lol

I've never had anything less than a great ride on Thunderbolt and never had a ride that didn't suck on Cyclone.

Cyclone was running nice and smooth (Thunderbolt was definitely not).

Are you sure you're not getting them confused? lol

I've never had anything less than a great ride on Thunderbolt and never had a ride that didn't suck on Cyclone.

My experience last year was the same. Cyclone runs great now that it has topper track and Thunderbolt jackhammered my spine to hell and back. It was the most disappointing coaster on my northeast trip.

^Thunderbolt was definitely rougher than I thought a "family" woodie could be, and I've done my fair share of old wooden coasters (Roar, Grizzly, Coney Island Cyclone) in the last few weeks. The topper track makes SFNE's Cyclone very worthwhile.

Screamscape posted a video of it testing with the new trains but nobody knows any more than that. This whole thing is ridiculous. The parks newest coaster shouldn't be closed the first 2 months of the season, especially when people loved the ride even with the old trains. I don't care what trains are on the coaster, just that they finally open it.

Screamscape posted a video of it testing with the new trains but nobody knows any more than that. This whole thing is ridiculous. The parks newest coaster shouldn't be closed the first 2 months of the season, especially when people loved the ride even with the old trains. I don't care what trains are on the coaster, just that they finally open it.

Meh...I'd prefer reliability if this is a long-term investment for the park. I was at the park last year, midweek, no extreme weather, and Goliath was open 45 minutes the entire day. IF the new trains are more reliable (which I have a gut feeling they won't), then put em' on.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I like the idea of the Top Spin, I have always been disappointed with the program that Six Flags runs on their rides (as seen during visits to SFNE and SFDK). I haven't been on Twister at SFNE, but after watching it run the same boring program that Voodoo at SFDK runs, I couldn't be bothered to wait the one cycle to get on. I'm not really expecting to see it run anything like the version I saw running at a fair in France, but I wish that they would consider running a slightly longer or more intense program.