TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks that could be defunct within five to ten years....

Six Flags Discovery World - It's a nice park, but I can see it going. Along with SFFT. Call me crazy, but I think that when there are two SFI parks in one state, the economy (along with SF's debt) will kill on of them off.

Discovery Kingdom/Magic Mountain and Fiesta Texas/Over Texas serve completely different metro areas. There are a lot of people in those metro areas, and it isn't exactly like Discovery Kingdom/Magic Mountain and Fiesta Texas/Over Texas are within easy driving distance to the other park in the state. They serve completely different markets, and it would be as if Six Flags closed Great Escape because of New England and Great Adventure.

Parks that could close:

Timber Falls - I hope not, but they have said that Mt. Olympus is really hurting them

Riverview - how many rides have been removed in recent years?

Kiddieland - owners in a dispute, and might close next year

Kentucky Kingdom - not closed, but sold

Six Flags America - reasons listed in previous posts

Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom - CF killed the ride side, and the slides could easily be relocated to Soak City.

Fun Spot - hate to see small family owned parks go, but I don't see it open for much longer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Flags Discovery World - It's a nice park, but I can see it going. Along with SFFT. Call me crazy, but I think that when there are two SFI parks in one state, the economy (along with SF's debt) will kill on of them off.

It's acually Discovery Kingdom, and it's not going anywhere, anytime soon. Neither is SFFT. SFFT is adding a Thomas Town this year.

-Tatum

I don't believe Great America (Cedar Fair) has much of a future either. The park is locked up space wise, plus it is facing similar parking and access issues to what AstroWorld experienced near the end with the surrounding city wanting to borrow the lots for stadium use.

I was actually surprised to read that the park was planning a large wooden coaster...not so surprised when it was cancelled/"put on hold" or whatever though.

Then there is DelGrosso's Amusement Park in Pennsylvania. A few years back they bought the Revolution corkscrew coaster from the defunct Libertyland in Memphis. As of yet that coaster never was built at DelGrosso's and according to RCDB, that site shows pics of the coaster lying around in pieces from 2006. Anyone know the reason why this coaster hasn't been built yet?

I personally think DelGrosso's is doing just fine.

After all, rides (such as an Arrow looper) are only built there in order to promote their main attraction - the SAUCE!

They feed half the population of Pennsylvania every spahghetti Wednesday after all.

My list of what I think is closing...

Six Flags America-No new additions since like 2000 and lack luster operations and staff.

Wild Adventures-Nothing at all since like 2003, I heard bad staff and operations also.

Hard Rock Park-As much as I want to see this park survive the odds are not in their favor right now. With financial problems and a lackluster group of rides it's gonna be hard for them. I can possibly see a buyout here.

Anyways I also think some parks are on the rise...

Waldameer-With new additions like Steel Dragon and Ravine Flyer 2 the park's ride count is going up and nothing but good reviews so far.

Silverwood-Even though their new coaster is a used Deja Vu, I still thinks its good that they're getting new coasters in a remote state like Idaho, especially good coasters.

Darien Lake-It's a weird choice but I think Darien Lake can become the flagship park of PARC managemnet. With a new succsesful motocoaster and a well developed park with great rides like Ride Of Steel, don't be surprised if some good things happen here.

Even summer weekends ride lines never reach past 15 minutes. (With the exception of Batwing)

Wrong. Last time I was at the park on a August Saturday, Superman's line was about 30 minutes, Jokers line was about 30-45 minutes, and surprisingly, Mind Eraser's line was 50 minutes, all lines coming out of stations. Wild One and Roar were walk-ons as usual. I sadly agree that SFA probably won't be around in the next 5-10 years but I know its safe for atleast 3 more years. SFA hasn't seen major changes in a while, but has improved some minor things like; new employee lounge, new trams/tram lane, new slide, new speakers, new security cameras, and upgrades to the Gotham Arena. Nobody realizes these changes unless your a SFA park employee (like me )

Oh? Well excuse me. Sorry.

It's just the 5 or 6 weekend days I visited this year the park was still not as crowded compared to SFGAdv, SFGAm, KD, or HP. I hardly see how this park makes a profit.

Well they have to be making some money with the crowds they have, its been about the same for the past 7 seasons as far as I can tell.

In my experiences the park is a bigger attraction for groups and very close locals, and a lot of people come for the water park. I wish SF would sell the park, though. I'm sick and tired of corporate's awful handling of this place. But of course they'd rather bulldooze the place in a few years rather then sell it to someone who could properly manage it. What a joke.

So yeah, I'll say...

-SFA

-SFKK

-HRP

RE: Six Flags America...

One thing they don't have in their favor is the local press. Frankly I am surprised nobody else pick this up?

For some reason the TV stations in Baltimore and DC really do not like this park. If the slightest thing goes wrong..BREAKING NEWS !! A great example of this is when Two face was stuck. DC's WRC-TV NBC4 had one of their choppers live on the scene. OK nothing wrong with that since that was news, but did the anchor on WRC really had to make that comment "..oh my this is very bad, people could be killed if a loose screw pops off !!.

Then not long after that there was a shooting in some apartment complex not far from SFA that left a young child dead but the way some of those Baltimore and DC stations made it sound that shooting took place IN SFA !!!

dittos with radio too. Just last year I heard a woman on DC's Mix 107.3 make the claim on the air that Six Flags America was "trash" and she wouldn't allow her kids to visit the place.

I have a hunch you wont hear any of the Pittsburgh stations say anything close to that with Kennywood, Harrisburg with Hersheypark or even Richmond with Kings Dominion.

RE: Six Flags America...

One thing they don't have in their favor is the local press. Frankly I am surprised nobody else pick this up?

For some reason the TV stations in Baltimore and DC really do not like this park. If the slightest thing goes wrong..BREAKING NEWS !! A great example of this is when Two face was stuck. DC's WRC-TV NBC4 had one of their choppers live on the scene. OK nothing wrong with that since that was news, but did the anchor on WRC really had to make that comment "..oh my this is very bad, people could be killed if a loose screw pops off !!.

Then not long after that there was a shooting in some apartment complex not far from SFA that left a young child dead but the way some of those Baltimore and DC stations made it sound that shooting took place IN SFA !!!

dittos with radio too. Just last year I heard a woman on DC's Mix 107.3 make the claim on the air that Six Flags America was "trash" and she wouldn't allow her kids to visit the place.

I have a hunch you wont hear any of the Pittsburgh stations say anything close to that with Kennywood, Harrisburg with Hersheypark or even Richmond with Kings Dominion.

Very, very true. And really pretty sad.

Even when KD had someone die on Shockwave years ago there wasn't that much bad press, and that was a part of a particularly bad summer where it seemed someone was hurt or killed on a ride every week and the media was freaking out constantly about it if I remember correctly...

SFA hasn't seen major changes in a while, but has improved some minor things like; new employee lounge, new trams/tram lane, new slide, new speakers, new security cameras, and upgrades to the Gotham Arena. Nobody realizes these changes unless your a SFA park employee (like me )

You just proved why SFA isn't doing well. If employees and guests that go to the park often are the only one's that notice a difference then there isn't much changing. I don't think the park can depend on these people.

I wish Knott's Berry Farm would go under, but that's just a wish.

why would you wish for Knott's to go under? I highly dought it as there are still a ton of people that go there and ever seniors go just to eat there...

^I don't wish Knott's to go under...I just wish Cedar Fair would release it's grip of death from around it. IMHO KBF hurts as a year round park. It doesn't help that Cedar Fair has no idea how to run a year round park. Just face it. As a family park it was going down, and under the Cedar Fair regime it's STILL going down, just slower. Coaster additions are keeping the turnstiles spinning, but what happens when you run out of room, our add 6 more launch coasters?

I can see CGA going down. Wasn't too impressed by my visit and with that pesk height requirement, what the hell else could you do?

I wouldn't rule out the Busch parks. As previously mentioned, they're some of the nicest parks around. But there is one thing that was not mentioned. They got that way when they were owned by people who took the time and effort to make them that way. Who's to say InBev will care that much for the parks when they've already made it clear they don't?

In closing, I side with The Banned Kid. I'd LIKE to see Knott's go down the toilet within the next 3 to 5 years. My reasons are a little more biased I'm sure, but are valid none the less.

I agree with what people on here have said about Knott's being in danger. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Cedar Fair liquidate the park sometime down the road if the economy continues to go down hill. Knott's really used to be a wonderful park, that a lot of the people on here used to love. It's amazing how in just a few years the park has gone so far down. I never thought I would see the day where SFMM would be preferred over Knotts!

^^I doubt that the Busch parks are in danger, despite the InBev takeover (which isn't quite a "done deal" yet). I haven't seen any serious signs of trouble at BGE, at least.

It all depends on who takes over the operations of the parks--time will tell.

Here's my list:

Delgrossos

Lake Winnie

Joyland

Six Flags America

Adventure City

Cypress Gardens

How do you figure? It's a great, small, regional park that's done well since 1925. Just because a small park doesn't expand consistently doesn't always mean it's in trouble. Trust me, Lake Winnie's not going anywhere.

I don't think Geauga Lake's WildWater Kingdom will be around too much longer. I, as many people, was shocked when they went to a waterpark only. It was the closest park for Akron, Canton and Youngstown. Now we have to drive to Kennywood or Cedar Point for coasters. If Cedar Fair was not making enough money to keep the ride side open, what makes them think the water park can survive? I know without the coasters being there I won't go back. I went once this summer and looked across the lake where the rides used to be and was depressed to see my childhood park die. The only reason I went is because I have Cedar Points platnium pass and did not have to pay to get in and my sister invited us to go with her kids. I, for one, enjoy roller coasters way better than water slides.

Here is my list and reasonings, well more guesses really....

Michigan's Adventure-I really dont see this park failing/closing, but if Cedar Fair decides to do any cutbacks, I'm afraid that this would be the first park to go since it's the latest addition to the CF family. It already has several major roller coasters, not to mention a water park, and has a lot of potential.

Kiddieland-Every year I hear this place will close, but it hasn't...yet. I'm not sure what the family situation is now, but if they do close, I'm hoping that another park will buy Little Dipper.

Little A-Merrick-A-Again, I don't see this park failing/closing anytime soon, especially with the addition of the Comet. I think this park has a lot of potential, and if the owners do decide to close it, it would only be due to monetery reasons.

Fun Spot-I have yet to see this park in person, but from checking out the webiste and seeing the trip reports, I think this may be another to close. The main reason being money since it's a small family owned park.

As far as HRP goes, I'd like to see it suceed. I'd hate to see a new park go under so quickly. Let's hope that next year HRP will improve. If not, then maybe some re-organization of operations need to happen first before closing the park.