TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Project Wildcat

Thought I'd make a thread devoted to my big project: a backyard coaster! I know theyre hard to build and such, but I have the will, the experience (architecture runs through my veins), and with help from my parents, the funds to build it... As for the ride itself, it will be a terrain coaster, with trick-track, a natural tunnel created by some trees, and a double dip finally. Starting tommarow, Im gonna be laying out some stakes to get a general idea of the layout and how it fits (I already made blueprints and measurements). Ill try to upload the pics with a digital camera so you all can see....I know you all have doubts that this will work, but I want to do it. It will be something that I hope to be remembered for, and it might just help me get into Miami University (a good school for architecture in Oxford Ohio. I figure that if I show them what I can do, it will help me out...) As for the name, Wildcat is just the first thing that came to my mind. I may change it later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Permits are so you don't get in trouble with the law for building a structure without permission in an area that may have ordinances restricting such construction.

Insurance is in case your ride is, and it probably will be, poorly shaped and decides to hurt you.

Last, but not least, going to school while you build it is to fix your horrible spelling and sentence structure... the math might help, too.

Permits are so you don't get in trouble with the law for building a structure without permission in an area that may have ordinances restricting such construction.

Insurance is in case your ride is, and it probably will be, poorly shaped and decides to hurt you.

Last, but not least, going to school while you build it is to fix your horrible spelling and sentence structure... the math might help, too.

just a bit harsh, first part was funny though

I'm guessing your going with a wooden layout?

I've come up with a track design using 2X4s as crossmembers and slotted 2" PVC as cap rails. But the real challenge is rolling stock. I was planning on going with skate wheels and teflon upstops. What are you planning on doing?

Don "Curious backyard enthusiest" Garrison

Your working on one too? Nice...

Yeah I'm planning on 2x4s like you said, but the rest is still work in progress...obviously this is my first time doing this, so some of it is still new to me...Aaanyways, I'm off to put down some stakes to plot the layout..I'll be back with some photos later...

and yes, its wood

I want to know, how do you know that this will work?

Did you just draw it out, or do it on the computer???

Cause Im pretty sure NL and RCT are not roller coaster programs used to design coasters.

I sudjest CAD(Computer Aided Design), my uncle uses it a lot, I like to play around in it, its away cool.

It's good that you have a good hill to build on, that way you don't have to worry much about height. I'm disappointed, as it appears your ride won't be continuous circuit. That would have been very impressive.

You should really go get some simple measurment of where you plan to build so you can get a pretty good idea of what your heights are going to be, and where everything is gonna have to go.

As for the contruction of it all, for simplicity reasons, I would suggest a simple side-friction type track. Since this is your first time, not having to worry about up-stops will save time, effort, and probably a bit of money as well.

For turns and such, you could use a simple stick-n-rope technique to ensure constant radii through the turns. I only suggest this because, unless your dad is going to help with surveying and such, you're probably going to build as you go. Using a rope tied off to a stake or pole in the center of where your turn you can create curves with constant radii, either increasing or decreasing the length of the rope or wire to make your turn wider or more narrow.

These are just some suggestions to make things a little easier, and to possibly improve the quality your going to get. 8)

Its continuos...I just didnt have enough stakes to cover the whole track, so I did one section, took pictures, took out the stakes, and repeated the process throughout the track. If you mean the crossover part, I coulnt quite show the true height of the lift, but there will be enough room for the car to go under it... The layout looks like a horizontal figure 8 for all you guys wondering about that....I may do side friction, but I think that the dip between the tunnel and lift will provide air, so I dont know if thats safe...plus the lift goes into a double dip...

edit @ twister: I drew it out and measured on the hill...Im pretty sure that the only place where the train not making it is possible is that last hill, but only because I dont know how much momentum the double dip will produce. I made a modle on RCT2, but that game isnt very accurate for this kind of coaster...

Just looking at your photos and noticing that the ride will pass between houses, I have to wonder what your neighbors will think of this?

Whatever, good luck on this project. I hope all goes well and it's a fun ride. Your choice of wood is, in my opinion, a wise one.

Eric

ZOMG PROJECT WILDCAT IS NOW OWNED BY SFMM!!!!!!!!!!!1111134341323$3$#2#1

You know I had to do that. As for the housy thing, the one by the lift is mine, and the other guys are still mad we built the house, but theyve gotten over it by now, since they solved their privacy issues...Actually the only house in those pictures is my own (and my puppy got into 2..) The house I was talking about is hidden behind a wall of trees for privacy...The coaster itself never leaves my house or yard.