TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Who's to say that if Maurer or a company besides B&M and Intamin were to build a hyper that it couldn't be just as good. These companies have never built a ride on that scale. I would be very excited if a new company built a hyper at Hershey. It would be a whole new ride experience and maybe the ride turns out better than some B&M and Intamin coasters. I'm not saying I would not love to see an Intamin hyper at Hershey. But I would love to see something new that has not been done before, Hershey tends to be pretty unique.

If Hershey somehow REALLY plans to plop this coasters station where the Tilt A Whirl and the bathrooms currently are in Comet Hollow (as stated in the latest Screamscape rumor) I am VERY interested and very SCARED to see how this beast of a ride is going to fit into that area of the park.

Hopefully the layout mentioned on Screamscape is way off. I cant see a hyper fitting anywhere except in the area in my picture a few pages back.. and maybe the station will just be smashed into the TIlt A Whirl area instead of where mine was (therefore saving the SDL from destruction! )

I'm starting to think this might get to heights over 200 feet but instead of a lift we're going to be looking at a launch running up the banks of the creek. Think of a larger scale Cheetah Hunt..

I think that rumor is bogus..there's just too many reasons why that layout doesn't make sense, unless this thing is literally going to be built over game stands, a queue and a serious portion the midway. Why do that when they have that good chunk of land around the water and across the road?

I get a kick out of how most people seem to want this to be a Maurer ride now that that piece of info from IAAPA was mentioned. To be honest, I would be dissapointed if this turned out to be Maurer. I think we can expect something better than that.

EDIT: Fresh off Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 - (11/19/10) Screamscape sources tell us that the station for the 2012 coaster will indeed take over the current Tilt-A-Whirl site, with the ride’s queue taking over the site of the nearby bathroom in Comet Hollow. While we don’t know the entire layout, our source says to expect to see it go down past the Comet’s entrance and follow the creek up to the existing dam area by the picnic pavilion near the Comet’s turnaround.

Interesting.

Does this mean that part of Comet's lower structure is going to have to be removed to work the new coaster in? It's probably not feasible, but it would make for some wicked head-choppers. It kind of reminds me of how Kennywood's Thunderbolt was modified for Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge.

I'm willing to bet the new ride is going to be either a copy of Griffon or a Hyper Coaster. Either of them will be a good addition to Hershey. As much as I love the current coasters at Hershey, they NEED a hyper coaster without inversions or loops. Airtime can be fun, too!

Hershey Park should do a new project where they take down the Sooperdooperlooper and the Coal Cracker and add another B&M inverted coaster but a bit smaller and have it pull more possitvie G's. The coaster should interact with the Great Bear, and should be named something like Ursa Minor or something along those lines. It would sort of be like Dueling Dragons ( Dragon Challenge ) except they would not be the same height or pull the same amount of possitive G's. That would be an awesome add on to the park.

Hershey Park should do a new project where they take down the Sooperdooperlooper and the Coal Cracker and add another B&M inverted coaster but a bit smaller and have it pull more possitvie G's. The coaster should interact with the Great Bear, and should be named something like Ursa Minor or something along those lines. It would sort of be like Dueling Dragons ( Dragon Challenge ) except they would not be the same height or pull the same amount of possitive G's. That would be an awesome add on to the park.

Are you on crack????

They are 2 "family" type rides that are not gonna go anywhere. They are Hershey Park staples!

No, they should not.

Are you on crack????

They are 2 "family" type rides that are not gonna go anywhere. They are Hershey Park staples!

I agree, especially since they already removed Canyon River Rapids and Coal Cracker is the only water attraction in the park where you don't get soaked. SDL is a great coaster and a perfect 1st looping coaster, lapbars only don't hurt either.

What the heck is your problem? Coal Cracker has been (or is continuing to) going through a major refurbishment. sooperdooperLooper isn't going anywhere either. They won't put in dueling B&M inverts when they already have ONE B&M invert. Hersheypark isn't Six Flags you should know.

What the heck is your problem? Coal Cracker has been (or is continuing to) going through a major refurbishment. sooperdooperLooper isn't going anywhere either. They won't put in dueling B&M inverts when they already have ONE B&M invert. Hersheypark isn't Six Flags you should know.

It was only an idea that came to my mind. I love Sooperdooperlooper and Coal Cracker is fun too, I just thought it would be cool if this happened. I know that it won't. LOL.

Ouch! Talk about a beat down!

I love Coal Cracker as much as the next person but I think within 5-7 years it will be going the way of most of the other flume rides in the country.. I mean Hershey would probably love to throw in a random water coaster in its place and call it Boardwalk South

The dueling invert idea though.. keep smoking the drugs!

Edit-

When I get bored I like to Photoshop random coaster layouts.. Here's what I want Hershey to build! Leave station (somehow cramped where the tilt-a-whirl was) go across the creek. Launch. Airtime hill, overbank, airtime, airtime, overbank, low banked turn, and airtime filled return run.

HP12.jpg.e551856d08e867b9d753c04e736db7f6.jpg

^ Really? They actually go around the Comet like up towards the skyride and popcorn place? I remember the markings for Storm Runner and thinking WTF? This takes the cake. Are there any signs that the layout will extend down the creek and towards the old pool/Chocolate World or is that still just speculation?

^ Really? They actually go around the Comet like up towards the skyride and popcorn place? I remember the markings for Storm Runner and thinking WTF? This takes the cake. Are there any signs that the layout will extend down the creek and towards the old pool/Chocolate World or is that still just speculation?

Comet Hollow is my favorite part of Hersheypark. While I love Great Bear because of it's interesting layout, I feel Hershey totally raped that area of the park to install it. I would be sick if this new ride again raped the area, and my precious Comet, with supports columns all over the place.

There are markings near the sky ride, along the games in front of the Comet, and in and around the Comet's exit area. I'm praying those are survey points and utility markings for the new attraction, not markings for support columns. If it were to go in that direction, it would have to be a tall part of the ride, like a lift. I just can't picture how you can effectively run a lift up that direction (toward the Skyride) and turn it to drop back toward the creek.

I have no problem with the station going where the Tilt-a-Whirl is now. But I really want this ride to be an out & back, heading back along the creek, cross the road, do it's turn around, and head back - basically out of the way. Hersheypark, please don't ruin the Comet/Comet Hollow anymore.

There are markings near the sky ride, along the games in front of the Comet, and in and around the Comet's exit area. I'm praying those are survey points and utility markings for the new attraction, not markings for support columns. If it were to go in that direction, it would have to be a tall part of the ride, like a lift. I just can't picture how you can effectively run a lift up that direction (toward the Skyride) and turn it to drop back toward the creek.

That's exactly why I think the idea is impractical, and the rumor bogus.

Comet Hollow is my favorite part of Hersheypark. While I love Great Bear because of it's interesting layout, I feel Hershey totally raped that area of the park to install it. I would be sick if this new ride again raped the area, and my precious Comet, with supports columns all over the place.

I have no problem with the station going where the Tilt-a-Whirl is now. But I really want this ride to be an out & back, heading back along the creek, cross the road, do it's turn around, and head back - basically out of the way. Hersheypark, please don't ruin the Comet/Comet Hollow anymore.

I agree. At this point, I am really ambivalent toward the new ride. Hopefully it's more set back so it doesn't ruin the charm of Comet Hollow.

The compacted feel of Comet Hollow is kind of why I kind of like the area and the reason why Great Bear is a decent ride. There aren't many parks where you can do this in, which make this area unique (which I's rather see than just ordinary). Adding another coaster in there would make that area just more interesting and thrilling IMO.

The compacted feel of Comet Hollow is kind of why I kind of like the area and the reason why Great Bear is a decent ride. There aren't many parks where you can do this in, which make this area unique (which I's rather see than just ordinary). Adding another coaster in there would make that area just more interesting and thrilling IMO.

What type of coaster would you put there?

Ouch! Talk about a beat down!

I love Coal Cracker as much as the next person but I think within 5-7 years it will be going the way of most of the other flume rides in the country.. I mean Hershey would probably love to throw in a random water coaster in its place and call it Boardwalk South

The dueling invert idea though.. keep smoking the drugs!

Edit-

When I get bored I like to Photoshop random coaster layouts.. Here's what I want Hershey to build! Leave station (somehow cramped where the tilt-a-whirl was) go across the creek. Launch. Airtime hill, overbank, airtime, airtime, overbank, low banked turn, and airtime filled return run.

I love the design, but I think one launching coaster is more than enough for a park the size of Hersheypark. I really hope, though, that one day some of the land where the old golf course used to be could be used for a hyper-coaster (or something bigger). Does anyone know if Hersheypark has a height limit for their rides?