TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^ you sound like you're built about like my husband. He's 5'8" and 205 and he doesn't have any issues with any types of restraints. I'd bet you'll be just fine.

Thanks, and I really hope you're right.

That said, all of this has gotten me dieting.

^ you sound like you're built about like my husband. He's 5'8" and 205 and he doesn't have any issues with any types of restraints. I'd bet you'll be just fine.

Thanks, and I really hope you're right.

That said, all of this has gotten me dieting.

It really is funny how certain people with different body shapes fit on rides from different manufacturers. I used to work in operations at a couple different parks and I have seen gigantic "overweight" people fit into the same restraints that a very fit muscular person didn't fit into.

Personally I'm around 6'1"-6'2" and currently pushing every bit of 260-270 lbs (I'm as fat as I've ever been in my life). I've got a little muscle mass left over from my playing days but I'm pretty much built like a 3rd base coach now, yet I've never been turned down from a ride. I've successfully ridden B&M's, Intamins, GCI's, and PTC's all within the past 8 months. Point is everyone is different, and it's impossible to predict who will fit on certain rides and who won't, just make sure you try the test seat before you get in lines.

Here is a video of the ride testing after the trims were installed.

Here is a video when they were not (go to 2:05 for a similar perspective).

Lift appears to be at full speed in both. Playing both at the same time it looks to be going a little slower through the twisty hill and last airtime hill but otherwise nearly identical.

Edited by JayB18

According to that video a bolt flew off during the turn-around (In Description).

Disregarding that the only part that looks weaker is the last airtime hill, but it looks like it'll still be ejector.

I'm thinking the problem area was the last airtime hill. Without trims it almost looks like it was taken a little too quickly.

^Even better! I didn't even notice, the seats are a lighter shade of blue and I registered them as water dummies. The difference between the first ride alone on I305 and the first ride with a full train on I305 ten minutes later is already noticeable, not to mention how it rides once it's warmed up throughout the day - Skyrush should be the same!

Edited by coasterfreak101

Hersheypark just uploaded the POV on their facebook page. That first drop looks beautiful...

Looks great and I see no noticeable reduction in speed from the trims. I can't help but lol at some of the comments on facebook though complaining the ride sucks because there are no loops. Ride the ride before saying it sucks. I can agree with he comments about it being a little short though. It is only 40 seconds from drop to brakes which is in line with a lot of their coasters. Im sure the ride itself will makeup for that though.

Edited by JayB18

Hersheypark just uploaded the POV on their facebook page. That first drop looks beautiful...

Looks great. I can't help but lol at some of the comments on facebook though complaining the ride sucks because there are no loops.

i noticed the same thing... stupid gp

though it still seems like its running at bat outta hell speed! XD

The pov is incredible! The turn at the bottom of the drop is awesome. I wonder if the queue system for this ride will be better than Fahrenheit. Soon Hershey Park will need to expand. Their gonna need more coasters and the two wooden coasters Lightning Racer and Wildcat are too good to tear down. Comet should be torn down! I hate how long the line gets for such a boring ride!

Did anyone notice that the lift wasn't going full speed? If it's awesome now, I can't imagine what this ride will be like then.

Looks great. I can't help but lol at some of the comments on facebook though complaining the ride sucks because there are no loops.

Is complaining about the lack of loops really any worse than all the stupid things people have complained about here? Frankly, I think complaining about three tiny trims which barely slow the ride is stupider than complaining that you have a personal preference for inversions.

Is complaining about the lack of loops really any worse than all the stupid things people have complained about here? Frankly, I think complaining about three tiny trims which barely slow the ride is stupider than complaining that you have a personal preference for inversions.

Good, I didnt have to be the one to quote that and mention that very thing. They complain probably less than enthusiasts do because we see things in far more detail. Also with far more criticism. I think the GP complaints pale in comparison to enthusiast complaints.

Either way, lift didnt look quite as fast as other videos but then again, still looks absolutely fantastic.

Also, is it just me, but I think this was shot on a GoPro. I notice a weird warping effect in the video and I only notice it so far with roller coaster POV's being shot with GoPro's. Im wondering if its the vibrations and how the camera handles it. Its evident on here.

^ The warping effect you see is from parks using the standard suction cup mount or some other type of mount instead of securing the camera directly on the train. GoPro cameras don't have any kind of image stabilization, so if they get any movement or vibration, you get that warping effect.

It frustrates me to no end, because as someone who shoots roller coaster footage professionally, and with GoPro cameras, I know how easy it is to fix this simple mistake.

I get the feeling parks think that because they have a GoPro, it makes them pros at filming roller coasters, but you really have to know how to USE the equipment beyond just owning it.

I've seen other silly mistakes made in park-produced POVs this year, like the waterproof casing being used! (that one really annoyed me!)

Also, if you watch the version that Hershey released, versus the one I re-posted, I fixed their crooked camera mounting!

--Robb "More parks need to hire us to shoot their roller coasters!" Alvey

You know, this could very well end up being one of the best steel roller coasters in the world.

It looks absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to take a front seat ride on Saturday.

^ The warping effect you see is from parks using the standard suction cup mount or some other type of mount instead of securing the camera directly on the train. GoPro cameras don't have any kind of image stabilization, so if they get any movement or vibration, you get that warping effect.

It frustrates me to no end, because as someone who shoots roller coaster footage professionally, and with GoPro cameras, I know how easy it is to fix this simple mistake.

I get the feeling parks think that because they have a GoPro, it makes them pros at filming roller coasters, but you really have to know how to USE the equipment beyond just owning it.

I've seen other silly mistakes made in park-produced POVs this year, like the waterproof casing being used! (that one really annoyed me!)

Also, if you watch the version that Hershey released, versus the one I re-posted, I fixed their crooked camera mounting!

--Robb "More parks need to hire us to shoot their roller coasters!" Alvey

Just a quick question, how do you film a good POV on a roller coaster that is really shaky e.g. Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool or Goudurix at Parc Asterix?

Looks like Hershey has a sure winner on there hands here...