TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's Learn about the Matterhorn!

Thanks for posting this info! The Matterhorn is historically important as well as a marvel of engineering. I've always been fascinated by the block system on this thing. Keeping that many vehicles in almost-constant motion is simply amazing.

I find it strange that someone would say this ride sucks.

The book "Roller Coastes, Flumes and Flying Saucers" has some great info on the ride, but it left me wanting much more.

Here are few topics from my Matterhorn wish list I would like to see addressed:

Accurate track plans

Ops area

Images of the interior

Images of the completed ride before the "mountain" was applied.

Keep the details coming. I'll be following this one closely.

-Scott

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this, I too am a Matterhorn fan. It was neat to finally be able to ride it at night last month. Were the Yetis added to the ride during the late 70s makeover as well, or were they earlier?

Here is another Matterhorn video which features onride footage of both sides:

The Matterhorn is, indeed, unique. It has a different feel from any other coaster I've ever ridden, and even though it doesn't move at a particularly high rate of speed, it still feels "out of control."

And it was always the first thing my family looked for while tooling down I-5 into Anaheim when I was a kid.

Has there ever been any talk of doing some rehab work on the Matterhorn's track? It seems like the ride could be amazing if it were a little bit smoother. The ride experience is very unique: Not many coasters are as immersive, bringing you right into the nitty gritty of the action. But the bumps, while not horrible, prevent it from being a great ride.

Oh, and I've only rode the left side. If the right side is better, I wouldn't know.

Has there ever been any talk of doing some rehab work on the Matterhorn's track? It seems like the ride could be amazing if it were a little bit smoother. The ride experience is very unique: Not many coasters are as immersive, bringing you right into the nitty gritty of the action. But the bumps, while not horrible, prevent it from being a great ride.

Oh, and I've only rode the left side. If the right side is better, I wouldn't know.

The Matterhorn has some track work done last year. I went a week after it was done.

WOW

Considering how old the Matterhorn is it is amazing how complicated it is, and how much you can retrofit a ride. Great thread, I think more threads like this would be great

I'm also assuming that that train ride was the original mine train ride before Thunder came in.

You're right, Will. I remember watching that movie on TV for two reasons when I was a kid: Disneyland and Lake Tahoe (part of the flick was shot there, too). Running around the "Living Desert" and the "Rainbow Caverns" was something I always wanted to do.

I found a 3D rendering of the Matterhorn a while ago online. Ill see if I can find it.

This hand-drawn thing is OK for a general idea what the ride does, but I'd really like to see a side elevation & layout that's close to scale and accurate. Has anyone who knows the ride well enough done a NoLimits re-creation? That would tell a LOT! Any NoLimits guys up for the challenge?!

The Matterhorn has some track work done last year. I went a week after it was done.

As did I, it was so smooth! Easily some of the best rides I have ever had (or ever will have perhaps) on that roller coaster.

I had the old Coaster game, and the layout was very rough---in fact, not really that close. It sounds like an accurate layout is likely out there somewhere. I'd like to get ahold of it and re-do it in AutoCAD.

Sometimes it still amazes me that there is almost 4000 feet of coaster track stuffed into that mountain.

Eric

I found a 3D rendering of the Matterhorn a while ago online. Ill see if I can find it.

This hand-drawn thing is OK for a general idea what the ride does, but I'd really like to see a side elevation & layout that's close to scale and accurate. Has anyone who knows the ride well enough done a NoLimits re-creation? That would tell a LOT! Any NoLimits guys up for the challenge?!

Thats the reason why I searched for a good layout, so I could build it in no limits. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've gathered videos and the 3D renderings with multiple angles and one of them even spins so you can see every angle (though it does spin a bit fast). I will be able to post them on monday if you want.

Thats the reason why I searched for a good layout, so I could build it in no limits. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've gathered videos and the 3D renderings with multiple angles and one of them even spins so you can see every angle (though it does spin a bit fast). I will be able to post them on monday if you want.

Sure' I'd love to see this 'spinning' 3D thing. Post away!

Heck, I might even tackle the NoLimits attempt if I had enough accurate source material!

Ok, this should be tantalizing...

I messed around with a vector-based illustration program today, and whipped up this so far. I'm doing things in layers so the eventual version will have black lines along the side of the purple track path (B-side will be orange, matching the stripes on the sled bodies) to make it clear what is over what, and the blue bars filling the station are various parking points that will continue along the actual track. Shouldn't take too long to finish now that I understand the program, and best of all, it could be blown up to poster size and look smooth since it's vectors.

I tried it in No-limits once but it really has much tighter clearances than any vehicles/track in that program allow.

layout_a3.jpg.95954d85cf030f4f0ffccfdf7f823239.jpg

Super-accurate through zone A-3!

Ok, last layout update until at least Sunday night, this is everything until the tracks join up for the final circuit around the exterior of the mountain. The black square that appeared is the elevator's location, as you can see it's about the only place one could go. There's one error on the lift's overlap right now, but that'll be fixed eventually.

I'll cover any non-layout questions whenever there's time to compulsively check forums/myspace/etc as so many of us tend to do...

trackthrougha5b6.jpg.b86bebedae25051c30712b4c3ff86b2c.jpg