TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Questions about TPR's Front Page - Please read!

Do you regularly look at the front page?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regularly look at the front page?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the left side versus right side. Which size of pictures do you like better?

--Robb

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I like the right side better. The pics don't look stretched out or anything, they look more realistic.

I guess I should point out that the only reason they looked stretched or squished is because I haven't gone into photoshop and properly resized the photos, I only did it in Front Page.

The input I'm looking for is more about the actual size of the photos and if you like that, think they are too small, etc, not about the actual photo I'm using as an example.

--Robb

I'm doing a similar site revamp for work (it's going to take close to a year to complete since it is a massive project), so I can help out with design theory/details if you need that perspective.

1. What do you find most useful about the front page?

Updates (with pictures). I've trained myself to look straight to the top-right column under "Park News, Trip Reports,etc", just because that's where most of the updates are.

2. What do you find least useful about the front page?

If by least useful you mean something I've never clicked on, that would be the "Features" link. But everything's fairly useful, and I don't have a problem with the Features link staying.

3. Is anything on the front page confusing?

Not really. There's a lot of content, so for a first time user it might be a little overwhelming. But for a regular visitor it's pretty straightforward.

4. How far do you scroll down the front page looking for updates?

Not far. I'm looking mostly at the "Theme Park Review Updates" and "Park News, Trip Reports,etc" columns, so I stay in the top area of the screen and almost never scroll down.

5. How often do you look at the front page?

Daily to a few times a week. The front page is all I look at, besides the content/forums it links to.

6. How often do you click on the "whatsnew" link?

Never used it, and never knew it existed, and I must be going crazy because I can't seem to find it!

7. What would you like to see added to the front page to make your visits to TPR better?

Content-wise I don't see any need for additions.

As for design I'd say more spacing between the front page table cells, so they're easier to scan and content easier to separate. Right now they're a little tightly packed together for my taste.

8. Anything else you would like to mention? Like any thing else you would like to see us add/change/leave alone/etc

Things I would emphasize keeping are the combo picture/text content for new front page articles. Gray background behind text is easy on the eyes. The content is already very well organized.

As for improvements I would just suggest more overall open space so the eye has room to rest. I can give more detailed design suggestions on type, size, contrast, etc., but only if that's what you're looking for.

Otherwise the site is very functional and useful.

Personally I prefer the photo's in the left column, probably as it just looks more modern with the 'widescreen' type look.

The front page looks a lot neater now, a lot less cluttered. The only thing I don't like really is the font used for the links to the forum etc, the size is ok but the font at that size doesn't look brilliant. To me it looks a bit blocky, or a bit industrial. When I can think of the actual word I mean I'll come back later.

Other than that, I really like it.

The newest updates being at the top. You dont even have to scroll down to see the latest update. Also, the fac that hte page is built lightly and simply helps make ogod loading times.

All the various news categories. They're a little confusing. I only really look at the right column.

See answer above.

Well I check the page frequently, so I dont' have to scroll down mucha t all, but I often look for hte midwest trip updates which ar ein the "old updates" page.

Several times a day, seeing as whenever I go tto the site Ig ot o the front page.

I didn't even realize such a link existed.

7. What would you like to see added to the front page to make your visits to TPR better?

Nothing in praticular.

8. Anything else you would like to mention? Like any thing else you would like to see us add/change/leave alone/etc?

Now that the fornt page has been updated I think it doesn't show enough recent updates.

The most important updates every day

The announcements

not really, only you can scroll alot on the frontpage

There it is, sometimes I look back some old updates.

Every day if it is possible

Whats new????

A big red button to get to the store!!

8. Anything else you would like to mention? Like any thing else you would like to see us add/change/leave alone/etc?

Leave all the coloyrs the same, just getting used to it!

As natatomic and ernierocker have said before me, I think there needs to be more white space, or in this case, gray space.

The one area that really bothers my ocd wish for order is the "Theme Park Review Updates" does not extend the full width of that column. Though I think it might be more visually appealing if the coulumn stopped there and there was maybe a quarter of an inch between the two columns.

The whole thing seems a bit vertically squished too. Maybe a blank line at the bottom of the announcements? Before and after the "Welcome to TPR" line? Perhaps even black space since the background is black. I think it would make the entire page much more readable.

I like the bigger words for the links.

Ok, I made another change.

I know a lot of you said "bigger pictures" but I wonder if it was the picture size or the image ratio. Have a look at this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/

Look at the left side versus right side. Which size of pictures do you like better?

And as for the border, don't worry, the PHP version will not have them all so smashed together.

--Robb

I vote for left side pictures Robb. (I was just checking out the videos page, it seems really clean. Maybe this is an example for the future Front page).

I also like the bigger font for the links.

Just curious you will still include "click here for older updates" at the bottom of the front page right??

Ok, I made another change.

Robb, I prefer the left hand side. As well as the pictures being bigger they seem to clearer / in a high res.

Liking the front page changes alreay - looking forward to the final design.

Paul.

It's easy to see all of the "big" and "official" updates in one area. In other words, one stop shopping!

Hard to say, not sure!

3. Is anything on the front page confusing?]

Not to me, no.

I do it whenever I'm looking for an old update. And obviously if it's not one the front page any longer, I click on "Click HERE for past front page updates"

Whenever I come on this site I usually start off on the front page.

I usually don't, or same as above. That link is not there right now so I can't double check.

I think the bases are pretty much covered, in terms of roller coaster/ theme park coverage. So, I think a welcome addition would be something humorous.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Lists the most interesting events on the left, most recent on the right.

I like having both rather than just one or the other.

Not much to speak of.

Not really, no. Its all laid out in a simple format with no filler.

Not much, mainly because I look for the most recent.

Whenever I come to the site.

Well, its not there anymore, so...

Maybe a list of popular topics on the forum (not from Random, more like Parks and stuff), or popular topics by sub-forum.

Nope, other than the above.

The new additions like photos and news of the page.

Not really anything.

No

All the way down!

A few times a day

There's a whats new link? LOL

More donkeys!

Too have llamdonkeys and llamas!

The new additions like photos and news of the page.

Not really anything.

No

All the way down!

A few times a day

There's a whats new link? LOL

More donkeys!

Too have donkeys and llamas!

^ That's actually the plan. The PHP based page will have a set even amount of updates on each side, and then when they go off the bottom of the screen they will be added to the "whatsnew" or "site history" page.

I've settled on the slightly bigger photos as you can see in the test version here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/

I think the final version of the page will go live within the next week or so. It will include a bit more spacing so everything should feel a bit "cleaner."

It's more than what I can do in front page.

The next step once we get a bit of functionality out of the way is to "make it sexier." It will NOT be a major overhaul. It will still "feel" like the same TPR front page, it I think it will also be a bit more updated.

Are there other non-coaster sites that you guys like that have a good look and feel to them? Please post SIMILAR CONTENT type of sites, meaning sites that are about content and forums, don't give me like "Netflix" or "Target" as examples!

A good example is:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

It has news, photos, forums, reviews, etc, etc....

Thanks again everyone! Remember, this is not just something we are doing for TPR, but something we are doing for all of YOU too!

--Robb

I like how some cites have things to click on at the top (like you do now), but they also have things to click on the left side of the screen. I like how it is divided into sections, but then those sections have different parts to them.

I hope that made since.

OMG! OMG! OMG!! I love the new front page! I like how there are only a few updates on the front instead of like 50,000!! I also love how the links at the top are much larger!! The only thing I noticed is the "ABOUT TPR" link is split. Like it takes you to the same place but it looks funny when you go to click on it... I will post picture to explain!! Other than that I love the new front page!! Great work Robb!

~Matthew

photo2.jpg.3645fdacaa0b1dae2326b50bc50b191b.jpg

Now the "TPR?"

photo1.jpg.fdb22c5f6db21f933358728a6b828f9a.jpg

See... the "About?"