TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^^Hilarious.

Another odd thing I found yesterday when I went to Great America is there's a blue tarp covering something near the Top Gun/Flight Deck exit. Can this be parts for a new ride?

There are some parts laying around near Top Gun's lift that seem to not been painted since it has a dull paint job.

I saw lots of piles of parts laying near the big dirt hill east of Top Gun.

Plus, at Celebration Swings, the height-measuring stick had 58" on there, I don't know of any ride that you need to be 58" to go on. Unless, Cedar Fair "mass-produces" those height-measuring sticks with 58" so it can work at any park, though in other rides the sticks have a maximum height is 54".

There's a lot of odd things happening at CGA. Also, if there is a new ride, Thunder Raceway could be replaced very easily and it has a good amount of space for a flat ride or ZacSpin. The Edge used to be there so rides can be at least 131' or more in that location.

Regarding Celebration Swings and it's 58" height stick, it actually belongs over at Firefall for the 'greeter' position, there used to be a 54" one that we'd use at Celebration Swings, but it disappeared and was replaced by the 58" one for now. The 56" is for Firefall and the 58" height limit is for Thunder Raceway, they are the only two places in the park the 56"-58" height stick is at.

And a while back I had came across this map of the park shown to the Santa Clara City Council, I assume it was for the original planned wooden coaster that was to go around Star Tower, since it was talking about the 111 foot height and noise from it (the offices next door otherwise and their 'concern' over the noise) The map does show it in an alternate location, where the Redwood Amphitheater currently sits, so I guess they were willing to get rid of it since it sits empty most of the time anyways and a coaster could fit on it.

^^Hilarious.

Another odd thing I found yesterday when I went to Great America is there's a blue tarp covering something near the Top Gun/Flight Deck exit. Can this be parts for a new ride?

There are some parts laying around near Top Gun's lift that seem to not been painted since it has a dull paint job.

I saw lots of piles of parts laying near the big dirt hill east of Top Gun.

Plus, at Celebration Swings, the height-measuring stick had 58" on there, I don't know of any ride that you need to be 58" to go on. Unless, Cedar Fair "mass-produces" those height-measuring sticks with 58" so it can work at any park, though in other rides the maximum height is 54".

There's a lot of odd things happening at CGA. Also, if there is a new ride, Thunder Raceway could be replaced very easily and it has a good amount of space for a flat ride or ZacSpin. The Edge used to be there so rides can be at least 131' or more in that location.

I saw the blue tarp you are taking about last week also. I believe it is the flats used to create the mazes for Halloween Haunt because I noticed to the right of it was Werewolf Canyon's sign pieces were next to it. What you could have noticed next to the hill near Flight Deck/Top Gun was the equipment they use to launch the fireworks.

I know this is somewhat random, maybe not. Last night I had a CGA-related dream in which some major stuff was to be going on for 2012. I never did find out what was the new major attraction to be (in Invertigo's spot) but another major feature to be added was some speed slides or something crazy in Boomerang Bay. Now thinking about it as I type this, I'm sure this dream is spawned off of the bulldozer sightings between the Rapids and Boomerang Bay. Maybe this dream means something or maybe this dream just simply means that it's a dream.

I saw the blue tarp you are taking about last week also. I believe it is the flats used to create the mazes for Halloween Haunt because I noticed to the right of it was Werewolf Canyon's sign pieces were next to it. What you could have noticed next to the hill near Flight Deck/Top Gun was the equipment they use to launch the fireworks.

Correct, it's HAUNT related items, Most of Carnevil's walls are store behind the Showtime theater as well as backstage of the theater, some of the FANGS set is back there as well.

Speaking of HAUNT, our Job Fair for the 2011 Haunt will be held Sat August 6th from 10am-3pm

^ I haven't been, since I live in So Cal, but I have seen the videos and Toy Factory and Carnevil look good. I too wish there is something different this year. I'm guessing there will be unless they do what Valleyfair did last year and just re-design there already established mazes. But I think they will bring something new, hopefully anyway. Since it sounds like you've been, were the Werewolf Canyon and Black Widows Cavern any good. I have seen pictures and a video on Black Widow and they look good, detail wise, to me.

I'm going to be in San Jose this Monday, July 25 and will be going to Raging Waters. Since a lot of people on this thread live in the Bay Area does anyone know where I can get discount tickets or coupons for Raging Waters San Jose? (Costco, Safeway, McD's, BK, Carl's Jr, etc). I checked online and it is the same price as their gate $33 (can I get a better deal than this?). Any help would be great. I'm also going to be in San Jose 10 days later and will be doing CGA. $36.99 for a ticket online on CGA's website, are there also coupons for CGA at local supermarkets, fast food places, etc? Any Bay Area input would be greatly appreciated

If you have a AAA membership I know you can get some good deals on tickets because that's where I purchased my SFDK tickets for this coming Monday and I was able to save $6 I would defiantly try there if you are able to.

If you have a AAA membership I know you can get some good deals on tickets because that's where I purchased my SFDK tickets for this coming Monday and I was able to save $6 I would defiantly try there if you are able to.

I have a AAA card, I will try that if all else fails.

I can't actually say anything about HAUNT this year until they officially announce it on their site, (they'd kill me, and I urge anyone else who has oficially heard what's going on to do the same) but I look forward to scaring again this year and am proud of all my fellow sliders, we're more than ready for this season.. I start training our rookies next week..here's to a lot of bandaids...

as far as announcements go, it typically happens mid August, when Haunt.cagreatamerica.com goes live, until then it will just re-direct to the main site.

I don't believe so as TPR hasn't announced being sold out yet especially if they're promoting free SFDK parking if you register by this weekend.

Back to CGA... I was near the park today, was actually going to my niece's softball tournament (which was an epic fail on her team's behalf, got slaughtered). From where we were sitting in the stands, I could see Drop Tower peeking above the office buildings. I did notice (from what I could see) that one cabin is back to being useless again. Also, sadly, I noticed dispatches seeming to happen every 5-8 minutes. I also noticed that there were quite a few cars in the lot as we drove by. I'm not sure how Fridays are at the park but it looked like it could have been pretty mild. As we were leaving Mission College (I've never been the rest of the way down GA Pkwy before) I noticed how close those pesky offices are to the park. I'm sure they all have double-paned glass to block out traffic noise, overhead jets, and of course, the park.

I'm still shooting for going this Sunday, if any other local members are also visiting, don't be shy!