TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Making my first trip to cga on opening weekend. Goldstiker been on my to do list for a while now. Also, am strongly considering getting a fast lane to avoid the crowds. For those of you who have been on opening day in the past is this a good idea or should I just wait and see what the crowds look like before I spend the money.

rolercstrluvr wrote

I think the east side of the park is 100-200 because of the airport and the west side of the park may be 250-300. Don't quote me on this though. This is just from memory.

I think that is what the height limit is because Dropzone is over 200 feet

this reminds me, does anyone have the stats on the hyper (or was it a hypersonic clone?) that was originally supposed to go to this park?

I think the events that transpired as a result of that fiasco was one of the reasons Paramount was very hesitant to try and build any more major projects.

And CF's latest struggle with getting GR built only illustrated the park's issues that much further.

Not really sure where to post this one so I thought I would put it here but, does anyone know any good place to park in san fran to do the touristy fishermans wharf stuff? Either a good lot in the city or a park and ride for the bart is fine.

Not really sure where to post this one so I thought I would put it here but, does anyone know any good place to park in san fran to do the touristy fishermans wharf stuff? Either a good lot in the city or a park and ride for the bart is fine.

There's a parking garage right across from Pier 39 that I usually use when I visit the wharf area. It's not cheap but most places around there validate parking if you eat there.

rolercstrluvr wrote

I think the east side of the park is 100-200 because of the airport and the west side of the park may be 250-300. Don't quote me on this though. This is just from memory.

this reminds me, does anyone have the stats on the hyper (or was it a hypersonic clone?) that was originally supposed to go to this park?

The Arrow Hypercoaster would have been placed near the Demon, elevator lift, I believe at 200ft for the first drop.

Hypersonic itself was supposed to be put in place of were Goldstriker and Xtreme Flyer now stand, the former Whizzer/Railway site.

rolercstrluvr wrote

I think the events that transpired as a result of that fiasco was one of the reasons Paramount was very hesitant to try and build any more major projects.

And CF's latest struggle with getting GR built only illustrated the park's issues that much further.

It was rumored to be a clone, if I'm not mistaken.

Flying to san jose and driving up to san fran. Then doing cga all day on Saturday and flying home that night. Staying at a Hilton garden inn about five miles from the park.

To avoid parking fees, Bay Bridge Toll fees, and traffic all in one fell swoop, my recommendation is to hop on a "Daly City" BART train @ the Fremont station (Approx 30 min drive from your Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino) and take all the way to Powell St. station in SF. Fare will be around $6 each way. Then, hop on the cable cars (Just outside BART station) to the wharf which is approx $5 each way or you can buy a "Day Pass" for $13 which also includes buses and street cars down by the Wharf/Pier 39. I try to avoid driving into SF as much as possible thus why I heavily rely on BART when I visit.

What ever happened to "Exorcise your demon"?

I was wondering the same thing recently.

Flying to san jose and driving up to san fran. Then doing cga all day on Saturday and flying home that night. Staying at a Hilton garden inn about five miles from the park.

To avoid parking fees, Bay Bridge Toll fees, and traffic all in one fell swoop, my recommendation is to hop on a "Daly City" BART train @ the Fremont station (Approx 30 min drive from your Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino) and take all the way to Powell St. station in SF. Fare will be around $6 each way. Then, hop on the cable cars (Just outside BART station) to the wharf which is approx $5 each way or you can buy a "Day Pass" for $13 which also includes buses and street cars down by the Wharf/Pier 39. I try to avoid driving into SF as much as possible thus why I heavily rely on BART when I visit.

Good advice. I do the same thing. Driving (especially during busy hours of the day) and parking in SF are a colossal pain, BART is so much easier.

If you end up with transportation or don't mind a walk (Its about 20 min walk from the Powell St BART, I've done it in under 15) the one place I always recommend people go to eat is Tommy's Joynt at the corner of Geary & Van Ness. Amazing food and cheap as you'll find in the city.

rolercstrluvr wrote

It was rumored to be a clone, if I'm not mistaken.

I think it actually was supposed to be Hypersonic, but they built it at KD because Stealth had been unsuccessful as well as a maintenance problem. It didn't seem to bring in the amount of people they thought it would. But that's just what I heard.

I can't speak on Hypersonic but I know that Paramount had agreed to purchase 3 Flying Dutchmans from Vekoma but once Stealth started having extended downtimes they backed out of the deal and SF purchased the remaining 2 that were in already in production from Vekoma. They ended up at SFWoA (X-Flight, now Firehawk @ KI) and SFA (Batwing). This is what I was told from my friend's father who was a higher up at Paramount.

Hypersonic itself was supposed to be put in place of were Goldstriker and Xtreme Flyer now stand, the former Whizzer/Railway site.

I thought Hypersonic was supposed to be where Psycho Mouse is now? That's what I thought last time I heard about it (it's been a long while since I've heard about this story, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

I can't speak on Hypersonic but I know that Paramount had agreed to purchase 3 Flying Dutchmans from Vekoma but once Stealth started having extended downtimes they backed out of the deal and SF purchased the remaining 2 that were in already in production from Vekoma. They ended up at SFWoA (X-Flight, now Firehawk @ KI) and SFA (Batwing). This is what I was told from my friend's father who was a higher up at Paramount.

I also have heard this. I'm designing a 6th Paramount Park right now in my free time so I think it's really cool that your friend's dad had such a role in the company. It makes sense that the Flying Dutchmans that Six Flags bought were so oddly paced in the park. You basically had to go way past the go-karts to get to X-Flight and go way past nothing to get to Batwing.

I thought Hypersonic was supposed to be where Psycho Mouse is now? That's what I thought last time I heard about it (it's been a long while since I've heard about this story, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

IIRC It was the Extreme Flyer/Whizzer/Goldstriker site, which is why the Hometown Square station got butchered. The Psycho Mouse queue is the original Scenic Railroad Station.

IIRC It was the Extreme Flyer/Whizzer/Goldstriker site, which is why the Hometown Square station got butchered. The Psycho Mouse queue is the original Scenic Railroad Station.

I think they were also going to tear out the train ride earlier for the original queue of Speed Coaster(Aftershock/Alienator/Groovy Train), but then the revised layout has the hyper coaster using the tunnels.

The Speed Coaster never left the design stage, so the railroad would have not been removed for that.

Also Stealth's supports were designed around the Railroad, they wouldn't have done that if they weren't planning on keeping it in the long term.

Hypersonic was a prototype, they saw an opportunity and the park tried to take it, IIRC walls went up saying there would be a new ride in 2001 (Right when the railroad was removed). At that point I believe the same reason why GoldStriker was delayed took in effect, noise complaints. The railroad disappeared, and the swings and the Mount Rushmore display came along.