TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

SFDK is seriously "gum land". On that same day, Roar had a "gum tree" while the station wall for V2 was a gum wall as well. My friend even contributed to Roar's "gum tree!"

Knott's, despite being a trashcan CF park, also has some pretty serious gum problems. When waiting on the block for their log ride, there is always abundant gum up above, where the queue passes over. Medusa's gum wall is mere child's play compared to Silver Bullet's gum roof. Gotta love those California operations! I'm surprised they are actually taking out trash cans! Hopefully, GCA will remain a trash can park.

I wonder if Six Flags parks in general have a problem with gum? There was a gum support in the X2 line that was really bad one year. I think that was worse than the gum wall when I saw it. So nasty.

Seeing the gum wall on Medusa makes me sad but it sounds like the park personnel do everything they can to prevent the gum wall but people do it anyway. Someone mentioned at SFDK Day that they should have a specific place where people are allowed to stick their gum so that maybe they won't stick it on the wall. I think that even if they took out the wall, people would find other places (probably worse) to stick their gum. It makes me sad how careless people are.

Yes, gum walls are definitely disgusting and just awful to look at. Does anyone remember back when Paramount owned CGA, how Invertigo had quite a bad gum wall? People would always stick their gum on the airgates before boarding. It would be interesting to see a picture of that 'ole gum wall.

That said, once Cedar Fair took over, they cleaned the gum off the airgates and the ride looked cleaner than ever. Back in 2008, which was my first year as a ride op at CGA, I started at Invertigo. I remember spending a lot of time after the park closed scraping gum that people had plastered onto the airgates throughout the day. We did what we could to prevent gum walls from happening, and yet people would put gum on faster than we could clean it.

Theme Park Review Members: Angry_Gumball, and I are going to CGA for Haunt tonight. If you would like to meet up with us PLEASE let us know. It would be kind of cool to have a nice little group of TPR members tonight now wouldn't it?

Just a quick crowd update: Friday night Haunt was actually pretty busy. Not sure how long the maze lines were, but at Demon, our line was out to the rock cave at its busiest. We didn't need to open up the switchbacks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're used tonight.

This is off Haunt-topic, but check out this great video that was just uploaded to Youtube -- Grizzly POV from 1988!

So many things can be seen in this video:

-Train tracks

-Dual track Barney Oldfields (also going the opposite way?)

-Demon loop rock formations

-All of these rides can be seen: Tidal Wave, Sky Whirl (looks like it's about to consume the Grizzly), Yankee Clipper, The Edge, Ameri-Go-Round

-Grizzly is SLOW(er). 15 minute turnaround, anyone?

-Check out those ride operator uniforms!

Yep I haven't forgotten that the Grizzly cars used to be all brown & NO seatbelts & the lap bars were push down pull up. Haven't the way the lapbars work now have slightly changed? Weird uniforms! I'll search around Youtube to try to find anymore old Great America videos. Ah the Edge & Tidal Wave & Triple Wheel. I sure miss those. I could still hear the sound which the Triple Wheel made. It was so loud! As for the Clipper I don't really miss I guess because wasn't the Clipper layout a mirror image of Logger's Run?

I worked there the following year and I remember all of that stuff. Those costumes were pretty bad, luckily since Barney O was my home ride I just had to wear blue overalls, not bad at all. But because I was also trained to run panel at Grizzly, Demon, Berserker, and Triple Wheel, I would often be pulled to work one of those rides to cover breaks and everybody else had to be in the awful uniforms and there I was, looking like a ride mechanic, it was pretty cool and funny at the same time.