TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Windows Vista

Voyage_luvr

What do you think of Vista  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Vista

• It sucks (A crappy Mac OS ripoff).
    • It is okay, just needs to have a service pack released. soon to fix a few minor bugs
    • It's great, I love it.
    • I don't have it. Still use XP or another Windows OS version.
    • Vista? Screw that! Buy a Mac (Ps. I'm a Mac user!)

Well, I'm about to get a new laptop today as part of my Christmas, but they all come preloaded with Vista now, so I need to find out if my stuff will run on it.

I plan to do my usual MySpacing, iTunes, iPod syncing, and play a few games (RCT3, and The Sims 2), and maybe use Limewire occasionally when I don't have money for an iTunes card (I'm stocked up on iTunes funds currently though).

I have heard that Vista won't allow p2p, is that true? Please give me some help so that I don't have a heart attack if everything doesn't work according to plan if I buy one today.

Yes, I did do a search, but I felt that since Vista has been out for a while now that a new topic needed to be started.

Thanks Guys.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't be a backseat moderator!!!

This thread was fine. It offered a different perspective than the other thread.

I added a couple other options to the poll to make it a bit better for all.

--Robb

It came with my laptop. It runs excellent now, I had the computer guru at my station turn off some features and it takes less time to load up, but still takes a few minutes to start up. It runs all my programs as well or better than my xp desktop. It took some getting used to and trying to find software that works with vista is a issue. All of my games worked fine, but I tried to install nero 6 and it wouldn't work so I had to get a newer version. That has been my only issue. My laptop came with roxio, but I like nero better.

I had it on my laptop for a while (because I got it for free through the university), but when the hard drive crashed, I upgraded back to XP. I don't think Vista cripples P2P file sharing, but it does have other DRM restrictions. One of the biggest problems with Vista is the User Account Control (it generates a pop-up message whenever you try and run an application), which can fortunately be turned off.

Some people may like Vista, but I'm staying with XP for now (though I may have a dual boot with some flavor of Linux in the future)

Just got a Dell Inspiron 1520 (the one that comes in like, 8 colors and has its own commercial) for Christmas that came equipped with Vista Home Premium. So far, I love it. It's a little confusing to get used to with the new menus and whatnot, but after a few hours of tinkering with it it's really cool. Love the appearance, too!

Its alright, my only peeve would have to be software compatibility. RCT3 can't run without me having to right click and run as admin. The window boxes in RCT2 have been bugged and installing a saved game or custom scenery always makes 50 billion security dialog boxes pop up.

Microsoft really didn't handle the launch of Vista as well as they did with XP and 95.

Vista works fine for me. Sure, there were a lot of drivers that I had to install to get things working correctly, but after that, I like it.

I would like a service pack though, just to fix a few minor bugs. Loads tons faster than XP does.

And making your PC *LOOK* like a Mac? How about you just do a Dual Boot and have OSX Leopard on it for real?

I love Vista! It's weird, becuase I never get security pop-ups unless I'm installing something, but I must have turned a function off, but I don't remember... Anyway, I prefer Windows because a vast majority of programs run on Windows, but not on Macbooks, and they are better for offices. Though, Macs are very innovative, so its really up to the owner's use.

Vista works fine for me. Sure, there were a lot of drivers that I had to install to get things working correctly, but after that, I like it.

I would like a service pack though, just to fix a few minor bugs. Loads tons faster than XP does.

And making your PC *LOOK* like a Mac? How about you just do a Dual Boot and have OSX Leopard on it for real?

You can dual boot Mac OSX w/Vista, but not Vista/XP w/Mac OSX. The Mac OS looks for a chip on the motherboard and won't run unless it finds it.

Silly Apple. You let Windows just waltz on in without returning back the favor...shame, shame.

And as for making your PC look like a Mac, there's always WindowsBlinds skinner for XP/Vista, dock applications like Rocketdock and ObjectDock.

Vista? I'm still using Windows 2000. I have an older PC, and 2000 is really stable.

I wouldn't dream of using a Microsoft OS in the first year, especially not one with as much new code as Vista has. Who wants to pay to be a beta tester? Let them debug it first.

I've had very few problems with it. As far as games go, there's been some trouble with dos-box sorts of stuff and various Win95 games, but hey, they're 10 years old I don't really expect them to work. What matters is that Crysis is awesome in DX10 and the only modern thing I haven't had work flawlessly is GTA: San Andreas only because of a stupid DVD copy protection scheme that makes it unreadable in the drive. The only non-recoverable game crashes I've had involved a bit too much overclocking on the GPU.

It loads super fast too, ~35 seconds from the time I push the power button to opening a program.

You can dual boot Mac OSX w/Vista, but not Vista/XP w/Mac OSX. The Mac OS looks for a chip on the motherboard and won't run unless it finds it.

Silly Apple. You let Windows just waltz on in without returning back the favor...shame, shame.

There are ways around that. Its entirely possible to run OSX on a PC.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2005/08/68501

RCT3 can't run without me having to right click and run as admin.

Right click the program icon, go to properties, then the compatibility tab, then check run as admin and apply. Only gotta do it that one time and then every time after that it will automatically run as admin.

Of course, you'll still get the UAC popup unless you've already disabled that.

There are ways around that. Its entirely possible to run OSX on a PC.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2005/08/68501

Well...conventionally.

All I'd want from Mac OSX is Garageband, anyway.

And as for "Administration" in Vista...doesn't Ultimate actually make you the REAL Administrator that lets you do whatever the heck you want?