TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

John Carter Rockets! A quality choice.

Fixed!

Seriously though, it is interesting to see a park like Kennywood bringing in a chain like Johnny Rockets... Seems like too much of a home park to host such a widespread brand. A very Six Flags thing to do.

To be fair, Johnny Rockets doesn't really have much representation in Pittsburgh, with only one currently within a 50-mile radius of the city. Unless someone has sought that location out, or happened to visit the one at Cedar Point, most Pittsburghers won't be familiar enough with Johnny Rockets for it to seem "widespread," on a local level at least.

The old menu of the Carousel food court was pretty similar to the typical Johnny Rocket offerings, so based on food alone, things won't be changing much in that regard.

We are very excited to announce the addition of a new Irvine Ondrey Engineering control system to the classic Auto Race at Kennywood. This is a very special project for me as I grew up only 15 minutes from the park and worked there in games for three years. Kennywood was the place that convinced me I wanted to spend the rest of my life working in the amusement industry along with being the home of the very first coaster I ever rode (Dipper). We can't wait to work with the park on this project and I am thrilled to see such a classic and unique ride getting an upgrade.

kennywood.jpg.ee9d11224e8efa39bf0a0a18945f7c0e.jpg

^We are splitting the main track area into block zones using photo-eyes as we want to make sure the cars in the course never get too close. We will also use photo-eyes in the station areas to keep the cars spaced. A safety PLC will control the power to the rails that power the cars and we'll add a panelview to provide ride information. The changes should really be transparent and the operation of the ride will not change with the addition of the system.

^ Is this something like what Tokyo Disney does with their Autopia?

Their sensors auto-slow you down if your car gets to close to the one ahead.

But this system takes your pedal power away, until the car ahead, gets farther ahead.

^We are splitting the main track area into block zones using photo-eyes as we want to make sure the cars in the course never get too close. We will also use photo-eyes in the station areas to keep the cars spaced. A safety PLC will control the power to the rails that power the cars and we'll add a panelview to provide ride information. The changes should really be transparent and the operation of the ride will not change with the addition of the system.

Will this upgrade allow the ride to run more cars? I thought I heard it was restricted to 3 or 4 for safety concerns.

This system will be a lot simpler than what is done at Tokyo Disney as there is no was to control the speed of individual cars on this ride. So if two cars get too close, the system will remove power from the track. As the cars all travel the same speed though, this should not be a typical occurrence.

It also does sound like they plan on running more cars than they have been, but we'll have more info once we get to the park.

Very interesting indeed! As someone who's spent a particularly large sum of time operating the Auto Race since 2009, this project is of special significance to me. The Auto Race has long had a reputation among rides team members for being one of the most difficult rides in the park to learn, and as of last season there were very few ride operators in the park that knew how to operate it. I am looking forward to seeing the work IOE will be doing to make the ride safer and more accessible for our team members.

Great news about the upgrades to the Auto Race! That's a nice classic ride, and it's good to see that the park is making sure upgrades are done to keep it running for years to come! Also, while a more subtle change, I'm thrilled to hear of headlights returning to Thunderbolt.....and it's even cooler knowing that my alma mater is involved!

Also, as far as Johnny Rockets goes, I'm okay with it and don't see it as such a big deal. Frankly, that food area was my least favorite in the park, so the freshening up is welcomed, imho. We actually live fairly close to the only other one in the area, and every once in a while we'll grab a bite there. Wouldn't call it my favorite or anything, but way better than the burgers they used to serve in that spot. And their shakes are actually quite good. I just hope they keep the exterior/neon lights pretty much the same. I really don't think this means chains are going to start pouring into the park as some may fear, though.

Very interesting indeed! As someone who's spent a particularly large sum of time operating the Auto Race since 2009, this project is of special significance to me. The Auto Race has long had a reputation among rides team members for being one of the most difficult rides in the park to learn, and as of last season there were very few ride operators in the park that knew how to operate it. I am looking forward to seeing the work IOE will be doing to make the ride safer and more accessible for our team members.

I'm very interested to hear about your experiences working on the ride. What made it so difficult to operate and what changes would you like to see? It's important to us to get whatever input we can from current or past operators so we can make the ride operation a much easier experience. The mushroom buttons on the B&M coasters came from operator complaints and everyone now seems to love them. So anything you can tell me about the ride would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

^ Indeed!

http://www.kpconnection.com/2014/02/ride-and-slide-season-pass/

Today, Kennywood and Sandcastle have announced the new “Ride & Slide” season pass available for the 2014 season. This highly anticipated new combo option is good for admission to both parks and is sure to provide a summer full of fun! Price of the new pass is listed at $109.99 each through April 30th. They are also offering a payment-plan option of four payments of $27.52. If you have already purchased your 2014 season pass, don’t worry! Both parks have stated that your pass can be upgraded to a “Ride & Slide” pass by paying the difference in price. For more details or to purchase your pass, please visit the official park site.

I think it's a very nice offer for those who enjoy both parks, and could perhaps even motivate folks who normally only visited one or the other to visit both this year.

As great of an idea the Ride and Slide season pass is, it really baffles me why it took them until this point into the offseason. I'm sure they have already sold several thousand original ride only or slide only, so there will be some hassle and confusion as they sort out who is willing to upgrade and whatnot. Overall great idea, but to me this seems like a terrible time of the year to make that decision as they are already pretty far along in the selling process.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the gate price for each park, I'd be shocked if the park didn't sell plenty of these new combo passes. It seems like a pretty good deal. After this relentless winter we've had up here, I'm really itching to head back to Kennywood and get those first great rides in on Phantom's Revenge, Sky Rocket, and the woodies! Just a little over a month to go!

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard Highmark is renting out the park sometime in May. I'm planning on going with a Highmark group and was wondering what types of crowds I should expect. I'm assuming an average weekday crowd. Anyone have more info on this?

I have honestly never had an issue with lines at Kennywood. I have never waited more than 30 minutes for a coaster, besides the Exterminator, honestly. I am sure Black Widow will have a decently long line, as it is new(ish), and if it is hot out, you can anticipate the Log Jammer and Raging Rapids to have pretty long lines. And then, the two dark rides (Ghostwood Estate and Garfield's Nightmare) will have decently long lines, but overall, on a weekday you should be fine to take out the park in a day, with ease.

^That's how it was last time I visited (July 2012). Exterminator had at least a 20 minute wait all day. PR was usually no more than 10 minutes (give or take) and was only busy for about two or three hours, with a 30min+ queue. And the dark rides were packed constantly. It's just that this time Highmark is renting out the entire park for Highmark & Highmark subcontractor employees & families. So I have no idea what to expect for crowds.

Edited by JonnyRCT3