TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

KENNYWOOD MEMORIES

Part 2

Find out today what it takes to get Kennywood up and running for the day. Also a look at how the ownership of the park became to be, of course it is different today with the recent sale. The 1921 Jack Rabbit is also featured in todays segment!

Kennywood Memories: Part 1

Kennywood Memories: Part 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^DenDen, I posted this update just for you, I know how you love your old Kennywood!!!

Woohoo this sure looks like a good series. I'm looking forward to each segment. Great to see Laser Loop back in its glory years too!

Also riding Laser Loop last week down in Mexico City may have had something to do with it, anyways Kennywood is a great park and I always enjoy looking back at its history and story.

That sounds great! I am going to have to pick me up a copy. That is one thing that sucks about these old retro VCR clips, the quality is quite poor, but that was technology for ya.

I would love to see the old commercials. Thanks for the tip Yeti

^DenDen, I posted this update just for you, I know how you love your old Kennywood!!!

Aw shucks, I feel special I'm actually in that video, but I don't care to tell where I am in the video! I was such a wierd teen.

I was unaware of the DVD, I'll just get that instead!

On the subject of kennywood Memories...I don't remember where I heard this but the show was a HUGE hit..in of all places...Florida !!!!!

I do remember hearing years back where thanks to the success of Kennywood Memories..one of the Denver PBS stations ( KRMA or KBDI ) were planning to do a similar show about both Lakeside Park and Elitch Gardens. Oddly both parks said NO to the idea. I wonder why ????

Here's a little "Shane" history...While going through old boxes in the attic tonight, I came across some old items that probably mean nothing to anyone but me, none the less I thought it would be fun to post them. I was so young when I started working in parks. It definitely is a GREAT industry to work in.

196968469_ShaneSixFlags.jpg.debbe5741e5f7cd1d4f7fb66b0558ffa.jpg

450531442_ShaneKentuckyKingdom.jpg.76ebcfaf47a76c4accbe392f74c024ff.jpg

Then Back to Six Flags (premier days)

2131989791_ShaneParamountParks.jpg.bb5363c706a49e9b73f505629621ad0a.jpg

Then it was off to Paramount Parks. Honestly the best company I ever worked for!!!!

1903390536_bobsled6.jpg.c49355ca0093c7458af7bfc039c3b76c.jpg

We Care About You!

1531304778_bobsled5.jpg.18e9bd4dcf5a1234da877bfe541d0870.jpg

a very young shane begins his career at Six Flags as a ride operator on the Sarajevo Bobsled opening crew

KENNYWOOD MEMORIES

Part 3

Part three looks at kiddieland..."Oh Boy, Kiddieland"... "No Worry, the Kiddies are Safe".

It also introduces Carl Hughes, Harry "Henny" Henninger and the Sweeper-ettes.

Food, Food, Food, just watching this makes me hungry for all those GREAT Kennywood treats!

click to see

Kennywood Memories: Part 3

This is one of the greatest PBS docs ever. In a perfect world, every town would a have a place like Kennywood.

THIS! Well said dude.

For those unfamiliar, the same person responsible for Kennywood Memories has done a quite a few documentaries for PBS that feature the City of Pittsburgh. GO GO WIKIPEDIA!!

/I met him once at an ACE event......

KENNYWOOD MEMORIES

Part 4

Todays segment focuses mostly on Kennywood's dark rides and water rides. Noah's Ark, Log Jammer & the old swimming pool where you could get a "sterilized swim suit" for 25 cents are all included.

click on links below to see

Kennywood Memories: Part 3

Kennywood Memories: Part 4

Also...if you are enjoying "Kennywood Memories" click on over to

Mark's Postcard Paradise

to enjoy a few Kennywood post cards from my collection.

^ well I don't agree with that. If you go back to page one of this thread there is a very detailed table of contents. It is easy to find anything that I have posted. If I were to divide all my collection into different threads it would be difficult to find something you might be looking for....but thanks for playing.

Now for all of you faithful readers of my thread I give you an exclusive look at my first and official photo shop Manta contest. Of course I follow the theme of my thread. Here is what Shane's Amusement Attic will be like in Season 20!

1225365_mantaphoto.thumb.jpg.554ab3ed8776e3df3c39f12de946e927.jpg

Does anyone know how the Turbo worked? Like how it moved? It seemed like a fun ride. Chance is becoming a very quiet company now. But, they still make aswome rides!!!

Hey, I found the Gunslinger Yo-Yo on one of the pictures. Its infront of the Astroneedle.

-Tatum

The ride is trailer mounted, it's moved as one piece on it's center trailer. The tubs on the Turbo or the seats on the Radar are moved on a second semi. The rotating head is mounted permently to the deck of the flat bed center trailed. The bed of the center trailer hinged its full width on both sides of the head. During set-up the two ends of the trailer are pulled together, forming an a-frame or V shape, with the head about twenty feet in the air. Amazing to watch. Axles extend out both sides of the head with the folded farris wheel sweeps open exactly like folded umbrella ribs. Turbo tubs or Radar seats are the only major parts that have to be attached.

The original ride was was known as the Raven and was painted Black with green and yellow trim. A Raven was up for sale last year. The Radar's wide seats were made for three adult passengers giving a capacity of sixty, insurance companies cut this back to forty for safety reasons.

Buttler Amusement built a knock-off in-house version with a much simpler conventional trailer and a mechanical center drive. It used two passenger farris wheel seats hung from fish hook "Seattle Wheel" hangers. He even called it "The Raven or Radar Wheel". Chance Turbo and Radar tubs are inter changeable, although the much rangier Turbo will out draw the Radar, just as the Sky Diver will out draw the Astrowheel.

I think this Amusement Attic is a great thread. I really love everything you put up here. Im a long time lurker, but rarely post. I was wondering though, is the narrator the same guy who does the little bits on CBS Sunday Morning nowadays?

Also, is that Schwarskopf loop a good ride? It looks really fun and 70's like.

Shane it's good to know I'm still alive in the year 2028. Wow I guess the Camel lights haven't killed me yet!

Yes Mark you are still alive in 2028, but I hate to tell you that you live with 18 cats all of which are named George. George I, George II, George III, etc. You might have been better off dead. Me-OWW!