TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

1990 Arrow Dynamics announces the 'Pipeline Coaster'

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I remember the name, but can't recall exactly what it did.

Eric

The Arrowbatic was like an inverted mouse on steroids featuring a near vertical drop IIRC & cars similar to the 4D but non-spinning.I would hope that S&S still offers the ride for sale in their lineup it's just that so far no parks have purchased one yet.

We recently did a backstage tour at Alton Towers and one of the guys running it used to work as the ride supervisor/team leader on the Vampire at Chessington. He said that they were considering putting in an Arrow Pipeline but the risk assessment came back saying that people with long hair may get it caught in the wheels.

The first one is the model of the inversion for the suspended coaster. They had a working model that dropped the train into the inversion. It looked cool, but I think the model was as far as it ever got.

In the ECC FD magazine edition 77 there is a picture of a full size prototype with a corkscrew on it running with a train of wheel assemblies, wonder if they tested it with a full train?

The last pictures is one of my all time favorites. It is a picture of me with the all time great coaster creator Anton Schwarzkopf. Can I count that as some kind of credit????
You are so my hero now.

I had actually always heard that PGA (now CGA) was the closest park to ever actually gettng this coaster (the Pipeline). Never really did hear a good reason for why they decided against it. My guess is the money for it eventually went to buy Vortex.

We recently did a backstage tour at Alton Towers and one of the guys running it used to work as the ride supervisor/team leader on the Vampire at Chessington. He said that they were considering putting in an Arrow Pipeline but the risk assessment came back saying that people with long hair may get it caught in the wheels.

I recall watching a coaster TV show back in the early 1990s and part of the show was about the Pipeline prototype. I remember the actual car placed in the roll element and the engineer (Dal Freeman?) sitting in the backseat having those concerns and discussing the possibility of shields. As well the fact those shields would restrict the views of riders.

My guess would be that the debut of the pipeline came right around the time that B&M was developing the inverted coaster and designing rides around the heartline of the riders. By rotating the track around the heartline of the riders, they demonstrated that the concept of the pipeline was unnecessary, and the same result could be accomplished in keeping with the 'traditional' track and trains with a different design approach, eliminating the problems caused by the excessive oversized track and heavy trains.

See Storm Runner, Colossos at Thorpe, Hydra, Speed Monster just to name a few of which incorporate elements from the Pipeline with traditional track and trains.

Just my guess - Dave

My guess would be that the debut of the pipeline came right around the time that B&M was developing the inverted coaster and designing rides around the heartline of the riders. By rotating the track around the heartline of the riders, they demonstrated that the concept of the pipeline was unnecessary, and the same result could be accomplished in keeping with the 'traditional' track and trains with a different design approach, eliminating the problems caused by the excessive oversized track and heavy trains.

See Storm Runner, Colossos at Thorpe, Hydra, Speed Monster just to name a few of which incorporate elements from the Pipeline with traditional track and trains.

Just my guess - Dave

That sounds like a very logical reason. Great thinking!

• 2 weeks later...

There is some truth to what had been said about B&M's inverts rendering Arrow's pipeline coaster obsolete. Apparently, a pipeline was to have been installed at Alton Towers, but AT's John Wardley rode it in Utah and found it too tame. He then became aware of Batman: The Ride at SFGAm, and decided on a B&M invert, resulting in Nemesis.

There is some truth to what had been said about B&M's inverts rendering Arrow's pipeline coaster obsolete. Apparently, a pipeline was to have been installed at Alton Towers, but AT's John Wardley rode it in Utah and found it too tame. He then became aware of Batman: The Ride at SFGAm, and decided on a B&M invert, resulting in Nemesis.

That is quite interesting because after Nemesis, Alton Towers went back to B&M for Oblivion. What if they didn't get Nemesis? It is very possible that we would then not have Oblivion either.

When in Palm Springs, I want to visit Shane's Amusement Attic! Thanks for posting all this GREAT old stuff.

I too have boxes and boxes of brochures, maps, merchandise sacks/bags, collectibles from parks and ride companies dating back to the 70's which I started collecting when I was very young. It's nice to see things I don't have in my collection though as well as see that others appreciate this kind of stuff too. All of these threads are bringing back memories from my childhood when US parks did seem to be more magical and ride companies more imaginative. I hope you continue to share more from your attic!

By the way, do you happen to have anything from The World of Sid and Marty Krofft that was in Atlanta?

When in Palm Springs, I want to visit Shane's Amusement Attic!

If you like the attic you will LOVE the dungeon...lol, just kidding!

By the way, do you happen to have anything from The World of Sid and Marty Krofft that was in Atlanta?

I remember haveing something somewhere. I will have to dig for that one.

Way back in 1990, I saw on National Geographic (TBS) a segment on roller coasters, including the Pipline Coaster. I was thinking to myself back then "WOW, I would love to ride that!" and "I wonder which park will be the first to offer this ride?" (I was hoping Kings Dominion would be the first to pick it up, but they were busy building the Anaconda by that time). As the years and seasons went by, no Pipline coaster. Instead, the newest type coaster called the BATMAN at Six Flags Great Adventure (the inverted coaster) would caused all the other parks to get their own version.

Well, I guess I can say that this coaster will be like the Deja Vu, I never got to ride it!