TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme parks in Google Earth

I just tried to use Google Earth to plan a trip to a few parks in the northeast. To my surprise, SFGAd was blocked out with just a white blob. So I tried SFA, SFNE... same thing. Coney Island shows up just fine, and there's a nifty view of the Cyclone right there on the beach with about 200 buses parked next to it. Other parks, though, even Disney, Universal, and SFNO and SFAW are all just white slates.

I used to be able to look at these places with Google Earth. WTF?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked and it seemed to be working fine for me. In fact they've updated it by adding pin-point labels where specific attractions are. For instance, at Six Flags Great Adventure they have colored dots on each rollercoaster (even if the satellite picture hasn't been updated for years, since they have El Toro ontop of Viper and a feild labeled Kingda Ka).

Not a glitch. The parks are all whited out in exactly the shape of the park boundaries. Smaller parks such as Coney Island and Michigan's Adventure are visible.

What's even dumber is that while Google Earth won't show the parks, Google Maps in satellite mode WILL show them.

Besides, it would be pretty pointless to white out Astroworld to prevent a terrorist attack. It doesn't even exist any more, except on Google Earth's old sat pics.

I just checked and it seemed to be working fine for me. In fact they've updated it by adding pin-point labels where specific attractions are. For instance, at Six Flags Great Adventure they have colored dots on each rollercoaster (even if the satellite picture hasn't been updated for years, since they have El Toro ontop of Viper and a feild labeled Kingda Ka).

That's weird. I get those same colored dots with the coaster labels... just no park.

I also get a nice little pop-up with a link to the park's website and such.

Here's how ALL my major parks look on Google Earth.

Smaller parks show just fine.

European and Asian parks show fine.

American themers (Busch, Disney, SixFlags, Cedar Fair) all become white blobs.

What's really odd is that it didn't do this before the latest update to 4.2

1538381160_Picture5.jpg.0b2997552c6428b57838095050b0e976.jpg

Even with all layers and tags showing, there's just a white hole for a park

no no no, jmccalip... that's Google Maps you're using.

When I use Google Maps, everything shows up just fine.

It's Google Earth that's giving me probs. I even just now uninstalled it, restarted my computer, downloaded a fresh copy of GE, and tried again. Same thing.

Used GE tonight (Nov 23, 2007 1:37 am) and was able to view Great Adventure, SFA, and old sat pics of Astroworld.

If this was a one time thing, I'd say you hit a glitch during load or sat pic update. If it keeps happening, GE isn't happy with a recent change or something on your computer. Any new hardware or software recently installed? New updates on anything?

If it helps, GE frequently forgets/loses random parts of my saved places...after I save them 3 times.

Hang in there on working this out.

Google earth worked fine for me,but you should check out local live search maps,put a theme park and click on Bird's eye,you'll see how much closer and clearer it is over Google earth.Try Universal and Islands of Adventure,you can see them so close it feels like you're there.

http://local.live.com/

Interesting. Looked at the satellite view of Astroworld and everything was intact. Switched to bird's eye and saw half the park dismantled and in pieces, lying on the ground.

The Cyclone was still standing, though. (

Yeah, it worked fine for me also. On a side note, I looked at SF Astroworld and the pics are kind of cool. You can see 4 or 5 coasters in various states of deconstruction. You can see pieces laying around on the ground. Don't know if everyone has the same images, but it's worth checking out.

coastergood.JPG.dd79c30966e25470bb7b507f04f4641d.JPG

Interesting. Looked at the satellite view of Astroworld and everything was intact. Switched to bird's eye and saw half the park dismantled and in pieces, lying on the ground.

The same sort of this happened with Thorpe Park satellite images, can't remember if it was google earth or another one, but it was between 2 zoom levels. A closer zoom level had a more up to date photo on it, so it was quite cool to see the differences over a good few years, including infilling of the lake etc. And they managed to catch the full splash from Tidal Wave which was also pretty cool.

Maybe they're worried about a terrorist planning an attack through Google Earth on their park.

I heard that Israeli landmarks such as the Mount of Olives are not on Google Earth for that reason, so terrorists don't plan a attack.

Wow, that was really random.

Make sure you don't have any add-ons enabled that might be doing that. Did you download any kind of Theme Parks layer that added information/locations/borders of the parks? I had one of those once that did overlays of all the parks. I've lost it now, but if you still have it and it wasn't updated it might be broken and blocking your view.

Maybe they're worried about a terrorist planning an attack through Google Earth on their park.

I heard that Israeli landmarks such as the Mount of Olives are not on Google Earth for that reason, so terrorists don't plan a attack.

Wow, that was really random.

That's true. A while ago there was a huge panic and giant headlines in the newspaper when you could see our nuclear reactor in google earth. I went on that day to look for it and it was gone.

Of course, by then, the pictures were plastered all over the newspaper with detailed explanations. Duh. XP