TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Perhaps this is why Epcot is in shambles thematically?

Complaints like yours only prevent change, and you end up with stale parks like epcot and the MK in florida.

LMFAO!!! This is EXACTLY the kind of response I would expect from someone with the screen name of "california screamin"

Have you been to WDW lately? More specifically Epcot? I have. Last week as a matter of fact. Hey, guess what?

THE PARK LOOKS AMAZING!

And stale parks? Epcot? Excuse me? Let's see, in the last 10 years that park has received almost as many attractions as DCA had for it's OPENING!

Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin', Nemo along with re-hashes like the Spaceship Earth and Donald Boat Ride makeover.

Not to mention they keep adding things seasonally to keep things fresh - Food and Wine Festival, Kim Possible, Flower and Garden, etc, etc...

Should I mention the stuff they keep rotating at Innoventions? The storm simulator, the "make your own video game" thing, etc? What about some major re-habs done to rides such as Living with the Land, Oh! Canada, etc, etc.

I think that Epcot may actually be the park that has recevied the MOST rehabs and updates than any other Disney park recently!

If you are calling Epcot "stale" or "in need of a re-hab" you CLEARLY don't know anything about the collection of parks Disney has to offer.

Bzzt! Try again pal!

--Robb

ps. I just saw a commercial on TV for Disneyland Resort and the 2fer ticket. Too bad the park doesn't look anything like the one they are advertizing...

Edited by SharkTums

ps. I just saw a commercial on TV for Disneyland Resort and the 2fer ticket. Too bad the park doesn't look anything like the one they are advertizing...

I get this...Looking at that image, if I hadn't been to the park before in my life, I'd think, "WOW, that looks like a really cool setting, I'd love to go see it tomorrow!" Boy would I be let down. (On another note, I think it's really dumb you see all the cars in the parking lot...kinda ruins it.)

But then, I'm sure the commercial showed some footage of Main Street. I'd also be let down that the picture I was looking forward to take of myself on Main Street would actually have a huge wall in it.

So, I raise the question, should they not advertise the parks in the off season? Or when there's a large construction project going on?

In any case, they shouldn't have a flyover of Paradise Pier in their commercials right now, as it will be in its current state for a majority of this year. They could easily just have footage of any of the other areas of the park that won't be ripped to shreds any time soon. Tower, Grizzly, Condor Flats, Soarin', Muppets, Monsters, or Flik's...

It was nice to see the 50th commercial again after a couple years of *Peter Pan fly theme*.

Too bad it comes off as some intern's 45-min editing project. It actually had footage of Parade of Dreams before that was switched to Play Parade footage. Disney knew PoD wouldn't be going on, but put that in the ads for the first few weeks anyway. Crazy.

A parade is a parade, is a parade, to John and Jane Doe watching a commercial at home on TV. As long as they go to Disneyland and there's a parade, they not going to go storming into City Hall and demanding their money back because it wasn't some certain parade.

A parade is a parade, is a parade, to John and Jane Doe watching a commercial at home on TV. As long as they go to Disneyland and there's a parade, they not going to go storming into City Hall and demanding their money back because it wasn't some certain parade.

Yeah that's the incorrect, "They're tourists! What do they know?" thinking. People who go to Disneyland even once a year knew exactly what that parade is/was, and that it wouldn't be returning this year. But even so, still a pretty hilarious mistake on Disney's part to leave that included in their 2fer/50th retread promo spot.

Methinks ye may be surrounded by a few too many trees to see the forest, but that's cool. Eveybody has their own take on things. I'm just saying I'd hazard a guess that if you did exit polling at Disneyland and asked everyone that left the park what the parade they just watched, that day, was called, the percentage of those that checked the "I have no idea" box would far outweigh any of the other options.

You made a lot of good points when you originally shared your feelings on this current makeover of the park Robb, and I respect your experienced opinion, however... It seems that the perspectives of some of the well-traveled enthusiasts on this site are considerably different than my own when it comes to some of the planned attractions.

Take Radiator Springs Racers for example. I believe I can understand your statement, "Oh, cool, so California is *FINALLY* getting a Test Track ride...10 years later..." to some degree, but to someone like myself that's never visited any of the other Disney properties, it's really exciting to have the ride and land coming here to CA.

I actually agree, which is why that sentance starts it "Oh, cool." Becuase it IS cool to have that ride. Hell if they said it was just going to be a Test Track clone it will still be cool. And I'm hoping this version will be even BETTER!

Same thing applied when they built Tower. I was happy to see another park get one, and to someone who has never been on the much older (and better) Florida version, it's a GREAT addition.

I have a little higher expectations for The Little Mermaid ride than it seems like you do. Hopefully we can be both be pleased and it will turn out better than you expect. That was definitely the case for me with TSM

Also agreed. Like I said I wrote that before TSM opened and seeing how well that ride turned out I'm hopeful this will be something special...but I'm not counting on it. (Going in with lower expectations is sometimes not a bad thing!

It's not my intention to pick apart your observations. I just found myself feeling quite a bit more optimistic about some the additions to DCA than you seemed to be.

I can appreciate that. It's good to have a balance in the world!

--Robb

LMAO The pictures that Robb took a few pages ago looks like a haunt maze made of Coming Soon signs. I really enjoy DCA, and while I do get why people like Robb who have visited almost or every Disney park, I don't get the general attendance/ dislike of people. I still think this is California's third nicest looking park following Disneyland and USH, but there is not much to do at USH(sorry Joey) I think DCA is awesome looking(not now)but there are some nice rides, screamin is the best airtime ride in our state. I hope this makes the parks a LOT better.

Personally, I think it really boils down to what people are expecting from their visit to DCA. "Bad show" is all in the eye of the beholder, so no one is really wrong. Some guests may appreciate the fact that DCA is on the way to being much improved, some guests may only care about the rides, and some guests will think it is bad show. No one is right or wrong because they all have different expectations of what the show is.

Same thing applied when they built Tower. I was happy to see another park get one, and to someone who has never been on the much older (and better) Florida version, it's a GREAT addition.

Ive been on the Orlando tower and think the one at DCA was a great addition.

PP obviousley doesnt look good right now and wont look good for awhile, but it was by far the ugliest/most cheaply themed of any Disney Park area I can think of so the construction doesnt bother me, as long as TSMM is operating ill be in there fairly often

Personally, I think it really boils down to what people are expecting from their visit to DCA.

I'm going to assume that your average GP is going to expect this:

Because that's what is being shown for the current ticket promotion.

I refuse to believe that most people who walk through the gates are "in the know" enough to know that the park is in the state it's in.

And here's an idea Disney...these commercials you're running are for a current promotion which means I'm going to bet they were probably made fairly recently. How about NOT including that shot of Paradise Pier in the commercial? When you only have 30 seconds to work with, and you know this construction will last a lot longer than the ticket promotion, couldn't have you have shown some other part of the park?

Just a thought....

--Robb

I actually agree, which is why that sentance starts it "Oh, cool." Becuase it IS cool to have that ride. Hell if they said it was just going to be a Test Track clone it will still be cool. And I'm hoping this version will be even BETTER!

I hope so too, but CA doesn't have that great of a track record of getting a better attraction than FL. (see below)

I know for me personally, I LOVED DCA's Tower. I still do. But after riding FL's Tower, it's just kind of meh' for me. If the line is more than 20-30 minutes, I just won't bother anymore. I certainly think they should have started doing Random drops by now.

I have a little higher expectations for The Little Mermaid ride than it seems like you do. Hopefully we can be both be pleased and it will turn out better than you expect. That was definitely the case for me with TSM

I'm also looking forward to Little Mermaid. And while I'm dissapointed in the "Drive In Restaurant" concept being shelved for now, If it's for more plusses on the rides then I'm okay with it, for now.

I refuse to believe that most people who walk through the gates are "in the know" enough to know that the park is in the state it's in.

I think you are underestimating the "local" market of Disneyland (which, if that is the 2fer commercial, is who it is targeted to). They might not know the construction is so massive, but I bet many of the GP that ad is focused on are at least aware DCA is getting new attractions.

But again, all that goes back to what I was saying earlier: the perception of a good show is different to everyone. There probably is a portion of DCA guests who will be disappointed the park featured in the commercial is full of construction walls. But there will also be a portion of the guests who will still think they got a "good show" because everything besides the Sun Wheel is still open and they had a good time. There's probably also a portion of guests who think the walls themselves are good show because they are happy DCA is improving.

So there's really no right or wrong answer when it comes to this discussion IMO.

I think you are underestimating the "local" market of Disneyland (which, if that is the 2fer commercial, is who it is targeted to). They might not know the construction is so massive, but I bet many of the GP that ad is focused on are at least aware DCA is getting new attractions.

Dude, you work at a park. You know how "dumb" your average guest can be. I can't tell you how many people who would come to eat at Cafe Orleans would ask me stull like "Where can you get the best view of Pirates?" "Um, at the other restaurant...sir, you are NOT in the Blue Bayou!" and when I would work at the Blue Bayou I'd get asked stuff like "Is this a good place to see the fireworks" "Um, sir, you realize that you are INDOORS, right?"

I stand by my statement - I refuse to believe that most people who walk through the gates are "in the know" enough to know that the park is in the state it's in.

Clearly this is a lost battle for me. I'm debating this with a bunch of so-cal die hards that don't want to see anything said bad about "their park" when is seem so obvious to me that people are turning a blind eye to how had the park looks just to defend it.

When I'm not even saying anything bad about the park! I'm excited about the changed. I think these chagnes are going to be great. But I think the park in it's current state looks terrible, and I can't believe how many people claim it looks just fine. I don't get that.

It amazes me that so many Californians are unable to look at this park objectively.

--Robb "It's Walt's baby so that means it's also MY baby!" Alvey

^ Agreed Robb.

I'll admit that I tended to give DCA the benefit of the doubt over the past 8 years. I really didn't think it was all that bad. I've had some pretty awesome times in that park.

But now ... RIGHT NOW, the Wharf/Paradise Pier area looks TERRIBLE. And that anybody would try and defend that is ludicrous. Unless they happen to be building some kind of maze (which is really what it looks like) then it looks bad.

Don't even get me started on the proximity of the new DVC building to the park. Ugh ...

I don't think anybody here is saying things look just fine. It looks like a construction site. Which is obviously not the best "show" from a presentation standpoint.

BUT....

Some people just don't think of it as such a big deal. I never really thought of DCA as an immersive theme park to begin with, so I personally don't care at all since none of the construction has any affect on my day at the park. So DCA still provides the "show" that *I* am looking for. I also don't think I am alone in that sentiment at all.

There might be a lot of "dumb" guests out there, but at the end of the day most guests won't really care how a place looks so long as the rides were open, the service was good, and they had a good time. They'll still think they got the Disney experience, so I think it is fair to say DCA still puts on a good "show" despite the walls.

But again, everyones perception of "show" is different. So there really is no right or wrong answer. That's the ultimate point I am trying to make. There definitely will be guests put off by the walls. There will also definitely be guests who don't care. There will also be passholders who think the walls are great since DCA should have been built right from the start. And probably another 10,000 opinions on it. And none of them are wrong!

I'm not sure how many times I can say that there is no denying that particular part of the show looks like crap. But there's still the rest of the park (and even all the rides of Paradise Pier except for the Sun Wheel), so I think many of the guests are still going to walk away thinking they still got a Disney Experience. That's all I am saying. Does anyone really believe that GR is getting flooded by complaints that the show is horrible because all the construction walls are up? Or that they were misled by that one shot in the commercial?

And really, what's wrong with not caring about the walls? It does look like crap, but if that doesn't detract from someones day at the park, are they wrong for just not caring about them and still having a good time at the park?

^I agree with Robb. Paradise Pier does look horrible right now and they are supposed to start ripping up the front entrance soon which will make it even worse.

I guess since I have been to DCA so many times, its current state doesn't bother me because I know it is improving and I have had the DCA experience many times before. For people visiting the park for the 1st or 2nd time, I can't see how they wouldn't be disappointed, especially when the whole entrance area goes under the knife.

^Even if you went to DCA with no construction walls, you would be disappointed if you were looking for "magical atmosphere, theming, experience, etc". I've always seen DCA as nothing more than a collection of Disney rides that happen to be in a park that looks OK but lacks immersion.

Not to put words in Robb's mouth, but how I am feeling about the pictures might draw a better picture for everyone. I live in AZ and visit CA about twice a year. I'm not too bothered by the construction. I know and appreciate the fact that they are trying to make it better. I actually was looking forward to seeing the lagoon drained.

However, I am also a teacher in a very low income school. In May I will be chaperoning some band students on a trip to the parks. I can say with some confidence that this will probably be their only chance to visit the park. It just sucks that they will be seeing CA like this. Will they be excited? Yeah. But they are missing out on seeing something that I know is there behind all the mess. I always loved the reflections on the water after dark and I know the kids would have also. Many people dislike CA but it did have a certain vibe. The vibe I get now is Bob the Builder.

^I think you actually helped prove both our points. CA Adventure does absolutely lose some of what little "vibe" it had to begin with by having all the construction going on. And it's definitely ugly. But is that going to "kill" the Disney "show" for them? No way. They are still going to enjoy all the rides, characters, and so on.

The typical reaction ive seen from the GP in the Paradise Pier area has been similar to RCT guest "Wow a new ride being built!" Really, most guests really dont care much about the construction is going on as long as all the attractions are open. If it were Epcot or Disneyland, that would be a different story but at DCA as Jew said nobody is complaining about it. If you feel differently thats fine, everyone knows its ugly as hell but if youve seen the huge amount of construction going in the lagoon the past few days youll see World of Color is going to be well worth the lagoon being drained.