TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time ever...

Let's just say this is one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. But, unlike nearly all movies from Happy Madison, this movie was hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite comedies.

Also, I am curious, does anyone happen to have a shrubbery that I could potentially acquire from you?

^^ I had to read your post a couple of times because it seemed like you were comparing Monty Python to a Happy Madison movie. Glad I cleaned my glasses and figured out what you were saying.

Watched Expendables 2 the other night. Best exchange in the movie:

Ahnold: I'll Be Back

Bruce Willis: You've come back enough, I'll be back

Ahnold: YipeeKiYay

Oh, and is it just me or does Chuck Norris have dentures?

Watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time ever...

Let's just say this is one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. But, unlike nearly all movies from Happy Madison, this movie was hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite comedies.

Also, I am curious, does anyone happen to have a shrubbery that I could potentially acquire from you?

Agree, it is one of the movies that made me laugh the most, just to that point where it gets nearly painful. And it is by far my favourite Monty Python film.

P.S NI!

The Conjuring

Movie was very well made in my opinion. I would prefer it over multiple movies and it had some freaky scary parts.

Pros

-Great story behind the demon and why it is in the home

-Was creepy right out of the gate, jumped into action

-Nice film work

-Actors were pretty good but...(below)

-Great "scary" and "adrenaline" momenta

Cons

-Very unrealistic ending, much like all Paranormal movies

-There were 2-3 scenes where you were like "what an idiot that person is to do that"

So as you can see just a few flaws, so im going movie critic and giving the movie a 8.25/10 rating.

I watched Juno the other night. I thought it was funny especially when Juno says, "You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."

Had to watch that like three times it was so funny!

Saw Pacific Rim. It was amazing. I loved that it was original, not based on something, and just a lot of fun. It may not develop the characters much, but when it's monsters vs. robots who really cares about character development? I highly recommend it.

The Conjuring

Movie was very well made in my opinion. I would prefer it over multiple movies and it had some freaky scary parts.

Pros

-Nice film work

Cons

-There were 2-3 scenes where you were like "what an idiot that person is to do that"

So as you can see just a few flaws, so im going movie critic and giving the movie a 8.25/10 rating.

I agree for the most part, although I much prefer Amityville Horror, The Exorcist or Insidious to this movie. Yeah, the scares were good, but it just seemed like they used a lot of the same features from other possession-type movies and incorporated them into this movie.

I also was hoping that the the ending would have been a little more original and dramatic.

Watched Pacific Rim and loved it, got Robot Jox off of Netflix, WOW, what a difference a couple of decades make, that movie did not age well, it was still somewhat enjoyable, but it simply screamed '80's. If your looking for a little nostalgia or a good comparison between graphics of today and yesteryear, rent Robot Jox.

Watched the Incredible Burt Wonderstone today...

I did get a few laughs from this movie, but overall, I just wasn't really amazed by this movie at all. I didn't really like Steve Carell's character. The best characters belonged to Jim Carrey and Alan Arkin, but they weren't anyone special. Nothing really special here and my suggestion is to rent something that is funnier and more exciting to watch.

Just watched world War Z. I'm not usually very attracted by the zombie theme but this one turned out to be pretty decent. It has quite a few suspense moments as well as raw action ones. A rather nice package, overall.

I went and saw two movies this weekend....

First up was World War Z. I am not understanding the obsession with this movie. I was so bored I could not stay awake through the whole thing. I should have known this with it only being rated PG-13. I wanted to see the killing/more gruesome scenes but the camera kept panning away and this does nothing for me. I felt like it was trying to be this drama/horror/action movie hybrid and it was not working for me. Honestly, this was the first movie I have ever seen Brad Pitt in because he usually does action movies and I do not like them. I will give him credit, he did a heck of a job. I wish when he did what did at the end it would have been dramatized more. However, I do love the story line and the CGI was pretty good in it from what I saw.

Second is The Way Way Back. I love these quirky Sundance movies usually but for some reason this one just could not hold my attention. I have a feeling it has something to do with Steve Carrel and that I do not care for him as an actor. I feel like he tries way too hard to be funny, but this is my opinion. However, I did like him and Tina Fey in Date Night.

I saw the Wolverine earlier today.

The Wolverine is truly an exciting movie. It has tons of great action sequences and Hugh Jackman is great as Wolverine. I wasn't totally set on the antagonists of the film, but they were good for the most part. Overall, the Wolverine is an exciting film that I am sure I'll be getting whenever it comes out on DVD.

Had very limited expectations for The Wolverine (can you blame me after X-Men Origins?). The movie turned out to be pretty great. It felt like a long delayed sequel to X3, but seems to have gotten the series back on track combining the original X-Men world while setting it up to clash with the First Class world. Really looking forward to Days of Future Past now.

The Conjuring

Pros

-Nice film work

Cons

I agree for the most part, although I much prefer Amityville Horror, The Exorcist or Insidious to this movie. Yeah, the scares were good, but it just seemed like they used a lot of the same features from other possession-type movies and incorporated them into this movie.

I also was hoping that the the ending would have been a little more original and dramatic.

Totally agree. It was good, but nothing amazing and it had a bit too much of a feel of the other movies.

Just seen The Wolverine

Pro:

Great mid-credits scene

Cons:

No memorable villain

An uninteresting sub-plot regarding a Japanese family business

Slowly paced

Lack of fun

Draws too much attention to the fact that Wolverine as a character works better in an ensemble

Went to see The Way, Way Back after work tonight. Absolutely loved it! Fantastic film - very well written with just the right mix of comedy and drama. I thought the casting was pretty spot on as well. Also, made me really want to visit a water park... too bad it's winter here!

Saw The Conjuring this weekend

Very well acted, really liked the casting and performances. Always a bonus when the child actors aren't annoying

Nothing scary other than the odd thing I found a bit creepy (dead people clapping, dolls), maybe I'm just not easily scared by movies as I can only recall finding REC scary in recent years; relied on making people jump rather than giving a lasting impression, things to make you keep the light on at night

It amuses me when it is marketed as "based on a true story". The true story being a couple of con artists claimed to know when spirits were amongst us

Brief, extremely fragmented reviews of movies I've seen recently, go!

Event Horizon: Caught this on Netflix after hearing a lot about it. Good. Incredibly tense, due in part to great acting and atmosphere. Not quite as terrifying as everybody made it out to be. Definitely doesn't deserve the 22% Rotten Tomatoes score it has.

The Way Way Back: Just got back from this one. Very good coming of age story. Not as funny as you'd expect, but charming through and through. There's a heavy helping of cringe humor, which isn't my favorite, but the writing is pretty great across the board, so all is forgiven. Steve Carell made me HATE the complete jerk his character is, which is an impressive achievement and a plus in my book. The movie's a roller coaster of emotions, go see it.

Valhalla Rising: As a big fan of Drive, I felt obliged to watch this, as it's by the same director. It's interesting. Extremely slow, but oddly beautiful. It's not exciting, but it's not exactly dull either. I honestly don't know how to describe it. If you can tolerate a plodding pace, try it, you'll know immediately whether or not it's for you. I think I liked it, I'll be giving it another view later.

Super: &@$*. I knew this movie was going to be dark, but wow, this may top the list for me. I was speechless after watching it, as were the friends I showed it to afterward. Regardless, I loved it. Equal parts spent laughing and squirming in my seat at how disturbing things got. The animated intro might be my favorite thing I've ever seen.

Upstream Color: ...I can't even think of anything to say, what the hell was that?

Pacific Rim: So much fun! It's worth seeing for the awesome-factor alone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a movie as well. Yeah, there are tropes and stereotypes EVERYWHERE, and some of the humor falls flat (case in point, the Newton's cradle gag), but I was just enjoying myself too much during the rest of the movie to care much at the time. The sense of weight and scale in the action scenes is the best I've ever seen. Go see it!

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing: Okay, I'm cheating a bit, this was a good month or more ago. As a fan of theatre and Shakespeare, Joss Whedon, and Nathan Fillion alike, I loved this. Of course there's the language barrier with the original Shakespearean script, but you get used to that quick. The cast just seemed to be having so much fun with this movie, which made it just as entertaining to watch. I had some issues with differentiating characters (they almost never say the chararacters' names directly to them, so you sort of have to assume who is who at first, and some look kind of similar to make things worse), but everything was fine by the end. I very much enjoyed this one.