TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I thought the two Cars flicks were very good looking movies, but I had trouble getting involved in them (particularly the second one). Pixar's best flicks are still the Toy Story series, The Incredibles, Wall-E, and Up.

I thought the two Cars flicks were very good looking movies, but I had trouble getting involved in them (particularly the second one). Pixar's best flicks are still the Toy Story series, The Incredibles, Wall-E, and Up.

Don't forget A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo! The latter is probably my favorite Pixar movie. I recently watched a documentary on Pixar and one of the producers/animators (can't remember which) said Marine World's shark exhibit semi inspired him to create Finding Nemo. Awesome.

^I think one of the biggest problems is that Cars 1 was the least successful movie in terms of box office performance but the most successful in terms of merchandise sales. That makes it quite obvious that the movie wasn't made because people loved the first one, but because it was a serious money maker. Most people consider the first Cars to be the worst Pixar movie (before the sequel that is) and therefore a second one was deemed completely unnecessary by most. Now I quite liked Cars 1. The second, on the other hand, I found to be pretty boring. The story felt lazy at best. Pixar movies are marked by super creative storylines that really capture the audience and envelop them in a very specific atmosphere. Cars 2 didn't really do that for me and many others. It felt more appropriate as a straight-to-DVD sequel honestly.

I have another theory: It could be that Mater was the main focus in Cars 2, while Lightning McQueen was the main focus in Cars.

The problem is Lightning McQueen. Owen Wilson is about as generic as possible, And they hired him for his Voice?!!!? In Cars 2, there's a scene where you can tell he's just sleepwalking through the film. I think it was the scene with the French car. Mater says "She's a huge fan!!"

I like Mater cause; Say what you will about Larry the Cable Guy, He didn't sleepwalk through it.

I love Mater. Mater is my favorite character in the series. I just feel that people liked McQueen more as a character. I also like how it was a bit of a departure from the original Cars. They really, in my opinion, stepped it up with new characters and a new storyline for Mater. And I saw one of the funniest movie scenes in an animated movie, ever: "Like a good neighbor, Mater is there!!!"

^Therin lies the issue with the movie.

It's much too jarring of a departure. It doesn't at all feel like the first movie, a good sequel should take aspects built up by the first film then expand upon them. If they had shifted the focus of the movie to be more focused on Lightning's relationship with Mater, and then added the spy aspect in not as heavily, it would have worked much better. And like I said before, over-doing Mater was the death of his humor.

Just got back from Madagascar 3D!!

WOW

You have to see the movie in theaters. There is a light show that is like if Illuminations and Glow In the Park Parade had a baby.

The first like 20 minutes are like if Crank was an Animated film.

3D Is Awesome.

I paid Matinee.

^ Your in luck. I went and saw The Amazing Spiderman last night, 8 o'clock showing.

First of all, if your a fan of the originals like I was, you may walk in with the expectation that this one will be worse or not compare. When Andrew Garfield was casted as Peter Parker, I had many doubts. But, something I always had in the back of my mind came forward with this film. I never really liked Tobey McGuire as Spiderman. He is a very talented actor, but he has excelled in other roles like in Seabiscuit. Andrew Garfield excelled in this role. It fit his personality and honestly he was more original to the character from the comics. But this isn't about comparing one thing to another.

This film is a whole new creature entirely. As everyone knows, it's a reboot of the franchise under indie director Marc Webb, starring the Social Network's Andrew Garfield as the flying web-slinger, The Helps's Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, and Rhys Ifrans as the masterful Dr. Curt Connors. This film, wonderfully shot with some fantastic visuals, gives the audience one heck of a thrill ride. Though the story does have moments when its seems to almost jump, it mas many enjoyable moment like the already released clip of the car thief scene. The romance between Peter and Gwen has amazing chemistry.

On Rotten Tomatoes, The Amazing Spiderman is holding a 72% freshness rating with the critics and an 84% with the audience. I would give it a 86%.

I also saw last week, Brave, another Pixar visual masterpiece. Where this film had beauty of Pixar and some of the heart, it didn't have the greatest of twists, but it still provided a wonderful period piece, and one of my favorite DIsney characters with Merida. It definitely worth a trip to the cinemas.

I have trouble getting interested in the Spider-man "reboot" no matter how good it is. My biggest objection is having, once again, to sit through an "origin" story.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they rebooted the Fantastic Four, because they botched that one almost completely (with the exception of the Thing).

Edited by cfc

The new Spiderman was a great movie from start to finish. I'm not a big comic book/Marvel/picky super hero guy, so maybe I'm missing something because almost everyone I know didn't think it was going to be a good movie. The acting core was solid, new Spiderman tricks, great camera work, and a good villain. What's more to want?

Oh, and I think Stan Lee has his best cameo in it!

We watched Chronicle last weekend. It was interesting. I wasn't blown away by it, but the story was intriguing. I didn't necessarily like the ending, though.

Also watched Wanderlust on Tuesday night. A few good laughs. Paul Rudd is pretty funny. No blockbuster, of course, but I wasn't expecting it to be. A good amount of nudity, too, but not of anyone you really want to see.

Oh, and I think Stan Lee has his best cameo in it!

That was pretty good!

I went in to Spiderman not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised by the movie. Recommended for the skeptics.

^I'll probably see it. I'm just not "enthusiastic" about it. I feel the same about The Dark Knight Rises, which will, no doubt, lead to yet another "reboot" of Batman.

I understand about the whole "another reboot" argument, but while there is some familiar moments in this movie, there's definitely enough fresh material to make this new Spiderman very enjoyable. I also agree that Stan Lee's cameo was very good. Overall, another very solid Marvel superhero movie.

I got to see Spiderman in 3D on Tuesday. It really took me by surprise and I loved it. I think it's MUCH better than the Tobey Maguire version.

A few reasons why (hopefully without spoiling anything)

--I think Andrew Garfield plays Peter Parker really well. You get the sense that he's still the same guy as always, just with new powers. In TM's version, Peter Parker vs. Spiderman seem like two completely different guys.

--The explanation about the spiders and how he becomes Spiderman seems more believable.

--When he swings through the city, you can SEE what he's swinging from. It's not like he's randomly attaching to invisible blimps hovering above the city.

--STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER. Emma Stone was definitely not the damsel in distress. She kicks ass. From a female perspective, this aspect alone puts the movie far above the others.

Overall this version of the Spiderman story seemed less like a fairytale and more like, "Hypothetically, this could happen." I really hope they make sequels, I would definitely go see them.

Funny thing happened: when I was 14 (7 years ago) I went to the orthodontist on my birthday. He would give his patients free movie passes on their birthdays. I found the gift card he gave me to my local Cinemark movie theater upstairs in my house and it doesn't have an expiration date! 7-years-old! Debating on what to see. I never got to see Snow White and the Huntsman, but Spider-Man looks really good. Or should I save it for Dark Knight? Any suggestions?

Funny thing happened: when I was 14 (7 years ago) I went to the orthodontist on my birthday. He would give his patients free movie passes on their birthdays. I found the gift card he gave me to my local Cinemark movie theater upstairs in my house and it doesn't have an expiration date! 7-years-old! Debating on what to see. I never got to see Snow White and the Huntsman, but Spider-Man looks really good. Or should I save it for Dark Knight? Any suggestions?

I really enjoyed Snow White and the Huntsman!

I really enjoyed Snow White and the Huntsman!

I think it looks awesome! That's the one I'm leaning towards.