TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe (MOA) Discussion Thread

Forgive a dumb question, but what is a soft opening? I've heard that tossed around a bunch lately. Is that anything like a "preview"?

Essentially yeah, it's a preview. It's a time frame where the attraction is open for test runs with real guests before the official opening of the attraction. It's generally used as a time to fine tune the operations of the attraction, both for the mechanics of the ride and the labor operations, before it is open and locked down to how it runs until a normal refurbishment.

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

Forgive a dumb question, but what is a soft opening? I've heard that tossed around a bunch lately. Is that anything like a "preview"?

Essentially yeah, it's a preview. It's a time frame where the attraction is open for test runs with real guests before the official opening of the attraction. It's generally used as a time to fine tune the operations of the attraction, both for the mechanics of the ride and the labor operations, before it is open and locked down to how it runs until a normal refurbishment.

Ah, thank you. You've taught me something new tonight.

soft openings
it pulls out pretty soon

What has this thread turned into?!

Elissa, I believe Kraken is right, it's a bit shorter than the others so it can't stay steep for long. Along with that, the camera angle and the turn at the bottom make it look different.

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

Ah, thank you. You've taught me something new tonight.

At least I have accomplished something tonight

At least I have accomplished something tonight

(chuckling) My friend, I am grateful.

Golfie wrote:

soft openings

kraken613 wrote:

it pulls out pretty soon

What has this thread turned into?!

(raises eyebrow for comedic effect) I dunno, but suddenly, I REALLY need a date...

EDIT: Looks pretty quiet over at MOA tonight....scratch that! Looks like the bottom part of Avatar's surf board is being put on the track. Nice!

camera2a.jpg.792c81b39d4fda870eeb8886dd40af36.jpg

Opening date has offically been announced: Saturday, March 15, 2008.

http://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/01/28/daily21.html

Nickelodeon Universe, the rebranded indoor amusement park at the Mall of America, will officially open March 15.

Construction is underway on several new Nickelodeon-themed rides that will be added to the seven-acre theme park, formerly known as Camp Snoopy. New rides will include two roller coasters, the SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge and Avatar Airbender. The park will also feature a thrill ride called Splat-O-Sphere that launches riders almost 60 feet high before taking them back down.

Nickelodeon also will open a 4,000-square-foot retail store inside the theme park.

The theme park was called Camp Snoopy from the mall's opening in August 1992 until January 2006, when the mall failed to reach a deal with United Media, one of the largest licensing agencies in the world, to continue using Peanuts characters and names. Since then, the mall has referred to the space as The Park at MOA.

The Mall of America reached a branding agreement with Nickelodeon last February. Nickelodeon ­-- and all related titles, characters and logos -- are trademarks of New York-based Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA).

Hey everyone,

I'll have you know the new coaster looks awesome and it opens March 15th along with the rest of Nick Universe!

I actually work across the street as a sales manager at

The Residence Inn - Bloomington.

Since March 15th is right around the time of spring break - we're going to be offering some awesome hotel deals in conjunction with the new Nick Universe opening!

Give us a call and ask for Emily @ 952-876-8802! I am here M-F from 8am - 5pm. You can also e-mail me at egoretsky@csmcorp.net. We have a complimentary shuttle to the mall - and I promise you, it will be an awesome spring break trip!!

Great? Howabout crowded. . .

Crowded = revenue for the park, which it desperately needs after building several new rides and structures and plopping down the cash to re-brand the entire park. The more crowded parks get, the more likely they are to add more attractions. If you're worried about it, wait and go on a weekday in April.

-James Dillaman

Hmm, we've never actually had a hotel spam the boards today!

I don't believe it's in our Terms of Service not to post Hotel stuff, so I'll talk to Robb and we'll figure out what to do.

That being said, the hotel actually has decent reviews on Trip Advisor, and we'll be doing a TPR Trip to that area some day so I'll let it stay for right now and maybe Emily will cut us a deal!

--Elissa, Site Admin

Hey everyone,

I'll have you know the new coaster looks awesome and it opens March 15th along with the rest of Nick Universe!

I actually work across the street as a sales manager at

The Residence Inn - Bloomington.

Since March 15th is right around the time of spring break - we're going to be offering some awesome hotel deals in conjunction with the new Nick Universe opening!

Give us a call and ask for Emily @ 952-876-8802! I am here M-F from 8am - 5pm. You can also e-mail me at egoretsky@csmcorp.net. We have a complimentary shuttle to the mall - and I promise you, it will be an awesome spring break trip!!

Ok so there was a employee update meeting today and for those of you wishing to get one more ride on the Log Chute...You're in Luck!

The word today is that the Log Chute won't be rethemed for the grand opening (it is to be completed at a later date).

^WOO! Thank god, I'll have at least a few more rides before it's potentially defaced for eternity.

About the webcams being down:

Don't you get it? They're shutting down the webcams because Intamin doesn't want to reveal their secrects of putting cars on a track.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but it's the only plausible theory here!

Yeah, bummer about the web cams, but the hotel deal might be enticing. Isn't that the one with Water Park of America in it? If so,all the better.

I really like that there's a goodly amount of stuff to do really close. Nick Universe, Aquarium, the rest of the mall, Water Park of America, the simulator place, the lego place, and Valleyfair is so close (much closer than I thought). And you're right by the airport. Air fare notwithstanding, that'd be a great way to spend the (hopefully) coming rebate check.

Somehow, I will find a way to get up there this year.

I guess they signed an entension with Pepsi Co. to sponsor the ride so it will be called the Pepsi Orange Streak. As for the station house, it's going to be blue with different shades of blue circles all over it...and a few Pepsi logos (it'll look like a lot of the current Pepsi cans). As for the station, the artwork I saw had large arches looming over it (very similar to TTD).