TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye Wand & Arm

Maybe I should've worded that differently.

I actually do understand if people think this is an indication of good things to come. What I can't stand are some people that think the wand's removal will INSTANTLY clear up any past mistakes by management or the like. Maybe I haven't been in this world long enough to have a better opinion on the "classic" Epcot as much as others. Whatever the case:

...allowing what lies beyond the entrance gates to do the talking

...That kind of puts things into perspective for me. Not that Spaceship Earth itself is one for subtlety, but I understand that point of view.

Adrenaline_Rush: The whole ride's being refurbished until sometime in the fall. There's a good chance at least one of those things could happen!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt mind the wand at all. I was only at the park once when it wasn't there and that was 16 years ago, so I don't really remember what the park looked like without it.

Im surprised they didnt just do an all nighter and take it down in one go. IMO, it looks kinda silly like that.

^It's a pretty huge metal structure. Unless you want to smash through the monorail line running right under it (not to mention other attractions and guest paths), there should probably be a good amount of time and care devoted to the process.

^ Yeah thats true.

I was just thinking about past experience as when they were taking away the decoration from the 50th celebration from the castle at MK, they took most of it down one night and just left some of it up and then a while later it was gone. I know thats what they are doing here, I just wish there was a more subtle way of doing it.

Hey to refurbish s[paceship earth, like to add new track or whatever, wouldnt they need to take apart the EPCOT ball to get inside. See thats what I think is dumb about having a WHOLE ride in a building is if you ever want to change some track you have to dismantle the building, put in the track, then put the building together. But seriously I hope they do Spaceship Earth the justice it deserves. I bet there going to work on Project Tommorow. Its the new exit for Spaceship Earth, its really cool actually, its all about what people are like and what the future should be, and from what Ive seen in these games they have in their I think its spot on. And as for the wand and arm, good riddens. I dont know why I am saying that, because I perticularly dont care, but the ball looks WAY better without it, or so Ive seen from past images of the old ball and no wand.

^ They don't have to dismantle SSE to remove the tracks or any other part of the ride. It's a 180 foot diameter geosphere, it's ginormous. For all we know, and what I believe, the track work will remain the same, just refurbished. Most of the work will probably be the redesign of the sets to fit the new theme, and a new train.

I'd think if most of this work is being done after park hours, the monorail can stay in use, without going to shuttle mode. I don't recall, did they have to go to shuttle mode when the wand went up?

Did you guys know next to that Mayan Temple in Mexico the Animal Kingdom Villas or Cabins (something like that) is supposed to go there. They had a board advertising it, Ill try and snap a pic next time I go. But I think thats the dumbest place to put a hotel. It will ruin the parks atmosphere, you'll be in Mexico, then see some African Lodge, that is SO DUMB!

There is no way to quantify how wrong you are on this. I think you probably misunderstood something. The Animal Kingdom Villas are going to be at....wait for it...the Animal Kingdom Lodge. There is a DVC booth near the Mexico Pavillion that is selling the Villas, but the Villas are not being constructed anywhere near there. The sign you saw was simply an advertisement to drum up business for the Villas.

I never had a huge problem with the wand, but I'm glad to see they're returning the classic look of the geosphere.

Hopefully this will mark the beginning of a new day in future world. First TT comes along, then M:S, both of which I enjoyed on my last trip, now they're giving SE a face lift that sounds very promising.

All we can do now is sit back and see how it all turns out in early 2008.

Well, when I went and took pictures yesterday, the "E" was gone. Here are some pics.

DSC01984.JPG.98e3d9c7018ced272fb0bf33813b294d.JPG

From the entrance, you can see the "E" is now gone.

DSC01978.JPG.1567dc8dfa9c7981bbe55bc7d0083f75.JPG

It looks pretty much the same on the other side, with the exception of the crane.

DSC01981.thumb.JPG.8281de810d4590a5d3af81554a5d6fe4.JPG

A close-up of the crane.

DSC01985.JPG.e9785984e75987491e6710c580022586.JPG

I happened to be in the right place at the right time that day, because I won the Dream Fastpass for EPCOT. Needless to say I was excited.