TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shuttle Thread

DallasAlvey

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I was intensely watching Nasa TV online for about two hours before the scheduled launch, hoping for the go-ahead. When they finally went around to all the launch directors and they all gave the green light, I was really excited. Closer to launch time, I turned on the tv and tuned to Fox News (rare instance, but they had the best coverage of the launch), turned up the volume and waited for liftoff. What a majestic sight! I can't wait until the day that I can make it to Florida to see a shuttle launch for myself (I have limited time too).

Here's the direct link to the launch video:

Linky

Congratulations to NASA for the awesome launch and good luck to the shuttle crew. Hope to see a picture-perfect landing in 12 days.

I watched it take off - the shot of the engine cut-off was amazing! They attached a camera to one of the rockets. As the engine cut off, there were flashes of all different colors and you could see the shuttle breaking away from the engine - it looked unreal!

I can't wait to see them playing with food inside of the shuttle today!

I've seen a bunch of launches from as close as Canaveral and as far away as Sarasota and Gainesville.

The coolest was a night launch that I watched after leaving Port Canaveral on the Disney Magic Cruise Ship. It was close by, and really looked like a giant Fireball flying through the sky. Add to it that we were offshore so there were no lights, it was really great!

I've seen a bunch of launches from as close as Canaveral and as far away as Sarasota and Gainesville.

Yep, I could see it from my house last night! It was perfect near me, hardly any clouds. Sadly, the last time I saw a shuttle go up was when Columbia lifted off for the last time...

Colin C

Sorry to sound completely cheesy but I am amazed at how far people have come in life. A long time ago people used to be scared of solar eclipses and now we're landing on the moon and launching space shuttles and probes into outer space. I think space shuttle launches are cooler than sliced bread. I hope to see one launch in real life someday.

Sadly, the last time I saw a shuttle go up was when Columbia lifted off for the last time...

My family and I were in Florida in January 1986 .. we saw Challenger on the launch pad just days before its last flight. It was quite surreal to watch that launch (and what happened) on TV after we'd returned to Melbourne.

Having grown up in the 80s, I remember all the hype and such surrounding the whole shuttle program .. and I still feel very sentimental towards them. Sure they're old and creaky, but they totally rock! Discovery (easily the star of the fleet) is currently 22 years old, and will be 24 for its last flight in 2008 (I'll be sad..).

The next two years (2007 and 2008) will be pretty busy years, with five missions planned for each year. In 2009 things will start winding down with just three missions (since Discovery will have been retired).

Cameron.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Envy.

Yes much envy. I'm so mad were going to Florida in Febuary and we were

going to see a launch, but NASA put the launch back a month.

Hey, at least you're going to see one eventually right? I would love to go see one, but we don't really go out of state/country often. Only like once or twice a year, it's usually to see or be with family too. It's fun when we do go though!

Discovery (easily the star of the fleet) is currently 22 years old, and will be 24 for its last flight in 2008 (I'll be sad..).

Cameron.

Uhhh....Endeavor is a lot newer and would be considered the flagship (though Discovery has run more missions). Either way, it's going to suck when we go back to Saturn V-esque rockets.

It's pathetic when technology is turned back upon (Space program, Concorde, etc.), especially when replacements are planned (X-33, which cost NASA billions of dollars and was then cancelled becuase the space shuttle was "viable" for another 40 years. Then Columbia happened, and soon we will only have two shuttles left).

^ Yes we still have a shuttle program. But in 4 years the shuttle program wil be replaced by

the constalation program. (which is a lot like Apollo) This will start in 2014 four years after shuttle left. It will go to the space station then back to

the moon (planned for 2018) then to Mars.

Not like its doing anything useful...

That's where your wrong the shuttle is doing the major constuction of the

space station like rewiring, installing solar arrays, and putting new labs on the station.

Sadly, the last time I saw a shuttle go up was when Columbia lifted off for the last time...

My family and I were in Florida in January 1986 .. we saw Challenger on the launch pad just days before its last flight. It was quite surreal to watch that launch (and what happened) on TV after we'd returned to Melbourne.

Quite literally changed my life because that morning I was an Aerospace Engineering Major and a couple of days later I switched majors.