TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Just from a quick read through of the spoilers it sounds like the ride is VERY similar to Spiderman, not that that is a bad thing, but I was kind of hoping for a little different overall ride experience. Can't wait to hear some official reviews, I'm sure it's still going to be a kick a$$ major new attraction.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it is mostly the same. I mean, they redid Back to the Future to the Simpsons, but all they really did was paint it to a new theme with a new movie. The vehicle motions are completely unchanged from the previous ride, so I could see them doing this with these two rides as well.

Just from a quick read through of the spoilers it sounds like the ride is VERY similar to Spiderman, not that that is a bad thing, but I was kind of hoping for a little different overall ride experience. Can't wait to hear some official reviews, I'm sure it's still going to be a kick a$$ major new attraction.

I'm surprised, and yet not surprised. It looks like a great addition to the park, I can't wait to see video from it. Haven't heard to much about the queue, I really want to hear more about that part of the experience. It looks very well done.

^It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it is mostly the same. I mean, they redid Back to the Future to the Simpsons, but all they really did was paint it to a new theme with a new movie. The vehicle motions are completely unchanged from the previous ride, so I could see them doing this with these two rides as well.

That's a little different situation, they kind of had to keep Simpson the same as back to the future because they reused the same building and the same ride system. They were fairly limited in with what they could do. Transformers was a brand new ride from the ground up that had more possibilities.

It's not the same ride layout or programming. We can end this discussion now.

I know it's not the same layout or programming but it sounds like a fairly similar experience to Spiderman, not that it matters since neither park has a Spiderman like ride and it will be a unique experience to the audience at each park. I guess the ride nerd in me was hoping for something completely new and unique with amazing space age life like animatronics and a completely new ride system but instead it kind of sounds like Spiderman 2.0. Not saying it won't be good, I'm sure it will be awesome, but I got a feeling it is going to feel a lot like Spiderman. Almost like Test Track and Journey? Journey is (according to most everyone) much better than Test Track, has a different layout and theme, but is kind of a similar experience. Much better but similar.

(I hope I eat my words

I heard from a good friend at Universal Studios today that the park OPENED the attraction to park guests today for an unannounced sneak preview AND they even offered UNLIMITED Express access to the ride for all annual passholders...WOW!!!

Yes! I was one of the annual pass holders and I went on it 6 times...

I am still feeling dizzy now.....

It is similar to the Spiderman in terms of the simulator motion, but the screens are super big and the physical sets look great..........

The whole experience is kind of different from spiderman. In TRANSFORMERS there is more driving and racing (which feels incredibly real!!!!!).

SPOILER!!!!----------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite part is the missile coming towards you and you can actually feel the heat, which is really cool.

SPOILER OVER!!!!---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by larrygator

I heard from a good friend at Universal Studios today that the park OPENED the attraction to park guests today for an unannounced sneak preview AND they even offered UNLIMITED Express access to the ride for all annual passholders...WOW!!!

^ That's right. I had this feeling that it might open today (they raised the park prices by S$2 today - it can't be just an coincidence??), so I just took a chance - and MY GOD it's open. Started texting all my fellow passholders!

Today was a peak day, wait-time was about 30-60 minutes. Single rider and Universal Express is NOT available. Annual Passholders use the Express line.

Anyway, here's the short version (long version : http://dejiki.com/2011/11/transformers-the-ride/):

- Vehicles are physically similar to Spiderman, with some Transformer logos here and there and a crazy paint job outside.

- HUGE screens (several parabolic) and projections are AMAZINGLY clear (except for one screen, strangely).

- Transitions between scenes and projections are very seamless.

- There are scenes where a lot of action is going on, such as racing on the streets for quite a distance, when the car isn't moving on the track at all (the illusion of movement is very well done there)

- NO animatronics of the robots. In fact I don't even see anything that passes as an animated prop.

- What happens on the projection screens does not really "affect" the real props (there's some scenes in Spiderman that does this, the ladder is one of them, i think?)

- Effects include: Strobe lighting, fog, wind, water and hot air (yes, no flames.)

- There are two scenes that use 2-storey high projection screens - yep, they are the elevator scenes.

- No on-ride photo op (just saying, because Spiderman had it)

BUT.. I would say that this is Spiderman 2.0... with robots. It's essentially a lot of scenes where you experience a battle of sorts (and get involved), then move on to the next. It's an amazing experience nonetheless.

I've taken the ride many times (shan't say the real number here - it's MORE than what anyone should ride - but I totally underestimated myself today) and there were no breakdowns. Some of the fog effects were missing during some ride throughs, but otherwise it was very stable.

Full details: see my post below!

Edited by digimax

^ That's right. I had this feeling that it might open today (they raised the park prices by S$2 today - it can't be just an coincidence??), so I just took a chance - and MY GOD it's open. Started texting all my fellow passholders!

Today was a peak day, wait-time was about 30-60 minutes. Single rider and Universal Express is NOT available. Annual Passholders use the Express line.

Anyway, here's the short version (long version with all the nice photos coming up in a few hours):

- Vehicles are physically similar to Spiderman, with some Transformer logos here and there and a crazy paint job outside.

- HUGE screens (several parabolic) and projections are AMAZINGLY clear (except for one screen, strangely).

- Transitions between scenes and projections are very seamless.

- There are scenes where a lot of action is going on, such as racing on the streets for quite a distance, when the car isn't moving on the track at all (the illusion of movement is very well done there)

- NO animatronics of the robots. In fact I don't even see anything that passes as an animated prop.

- What happens on the projection screens does not really "affect" the real props (there's some scenes in Spiderman that does this, the ladder is one of them, i think?)

- Effects include: Strobe lighting, fog, wind, water and hot air (yes, no flames.)

- There are two scenes that use 2-storey high projection screens - yep, they are the elevator scenes.

- No on-ride photo op (just saying, because Spiderman had it)

BUT.. I would say that this is Spiderman 2.0... with robots. It's essentially a lot of scenes where you experience a battle of sorts (and get involved), then move on to the next. It's an amazing experience nonetheless.

Full details (including a script of the ride) soon!

True.......

I was expecting more........

Okay, I've settled down and went through my photos, notes etc.

Let me say (again) that it's the most fantastic ride available in USS right now (and possibly Asia?). It takes all the technology from Spiderman and updates several features. The ride programming is obviously different (my personal favourite was flying through Devastator, the ride vehicle becomes some sort of gattling gun there) and the trickery with the elevators was impressively smooth.

Scene-by-scene description and everything available here: http://dejiki.com/2011/11/transformers-the-ride

If you guys have any questions, just shoot!

Alright question: In the motion simulator scenes, are there wind effects used? I'm hoping they used wind on those scenes because when I rode Potter, it just didn't feel that convincing without the wind.

Yes, there's a lot of wind effects, especially for the street chase scenes, the "drop" and of course, scenes involving the Devastator.

Edited by digimax

New Parade show!

Hollywood Dreams

Resorts World Sentosa announced today that Universal Studios Singapore will launch Hollywood Dreams, the park's first full-scale parade, on New Year's Eve.

LATEST NEWS – Come 31 Dec, Universal Studios Singapore will launch its first-ever full-scale parade, the Hollywood Dreams!

With magnificent and intricately detailed floats, special effects, dancers, a custom musical score and some fan-favourite characters from throughout Universal Studios Singapore, Hollywood Dreams promises to excite guests of all ages – not forgetting usher in the new year in grandeur.

Running through five of the park’s seven zones, the parade route is approximately 30 minutes long and gives each guest about a 10 minute viewing experience of the procession. The all-new parade will also be accompanied by a cast of over 100 performers.

Brace yourself for a spectacle as the parade marches once a day on Fridays, Saturdays and selected holidays, and will be included with regular theme park admission. Stay tuned for more!

http://www.rwsentosablog.com/2011/11/21/parade-fever-hits-universal-studios-singapore/

Before Hollywood Dreams, the park did not have a parade show, except for the one-off "Grand Procession" during the park's grand opening ceremony this year, which was about 15 minutes long.

Our friend from Resorts World Sentosa has sent us the official press release with a high resolution photo of one of the new parade floats to be included in the park's first ever parade, Hollywood Dreams!

Resorts World Sentosa announced today that on 31December 2011, Universal Studios Singapore will launch its first-ever full-scale parade, adding even more colour and festivity to the region’s first movie theme park.

Hollywood Dreams promises to excite guests of all ages with magnificent and intricately detailed floats, special effects, dancers, a custom musical score and some fan-favourite characters from throughout Universal Studios Singapore .

Running through five of the park’s seven zones, the parade route is approximately 30 minutes long and gives each guest about a 10 minute viewing experience of the procession. The all-new parade will feature a cast of over 100 performers.

“The immense level of detail is evident in the design of the parade units. Everything about this parade, from the floats to the costumes to the choreographed acts, promises a visually spectacular show,” Mr Dennis Gilbert, Senior Vice President of Attractions, Resorts World Sentosa, said.

“Parades are always a major hit with families, and the grandeur of our parade will strongly augment the guest experience at Universal Studios Singapore.’’

Hollywood Dreams will be the newest addition to Universal Studios Singapore, which also opened Madagascar: A Crate Adventure earlier this year and will debut TRANSFORMERS The Ride on 3 December. With its blockbuster themed rides and attractions, Universal Studios Singapore is the only place in Southeast Asia where guests can go to Ride The Movies®. The parade is yet another way that the theme park will bring movies, music and characters to life from the big screen.

Hollywood Dreams will run once a day on Fridays, Saturdays and selected holidays, and will be included with regular theme park admission. For tickets and information, visit http://www.rwsentosa.com.

1064848578_HollywoodDreamsParade.thumb.jpg.56a0f579aac946160e5555730758ea7d.jpg

Annual Passholders' Preview is now happening. The ride is closed to regular park guests - and they are all - of course, furious!

It was a weekday so most of the ride vehicles were rarely filled to half load, I even had the whole vehicle for myself a few times. Lots of empty EVACs running around the building today.

^ Quickquestion I've been wondering about the elevators:

Do you notice the elevator moving and how fast is it?

In my first ride-through, no. I was focused on the projections - the elevators are hard to notice. As for its speed, I would say that it's like a normal lift? It doesn't go very fast, and other than transporting the ride vehicle, it also carries those expensive HD projectors, which moves up/down with the ride vehicle.

Sounds to me like this ride could have just been on a stationary base and offered 90% of the experience. The awesomeness of Spider-man is the practical effects that are on top of the screens. The bridge scene is fricken amazing. Sounds like transformers has more in common with Speed of Magic,as far as set design and integration go. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm surprised there aren't any onride pics yet.

-R

Hey Dejiki! A big shout-out to you because I am from Singapore too! Great to see a fellow local friend here on the TPR Forums

Really love your unbelievably detailed report about the ride! Since it was only open for Annual Pass Holders, I found it interesting that you said members of the public were angry? How angry were they HAHA

Hey Dejiki! A big shout-out to you because I am from Singapore too! Great to see a fellow local friend here on the TPR Forums

Really love your unbelievably detailed report about the ride! Since it was only open for Annual Pass Holders, I found it interesting that you said members of the public were angry? How angry were they HAHA

Hi rockysam! Nice to hear from you!

Well, I've seen many people who tried to use all sorts of ways to gain entry - some insisted that their 1-day passes and universal express passes were "annual passes" - made a racket when denied entry. The other sort is of course, frustrated parents - angry as they couldn't bring their (crying) kids in. The park crew "guarding" the entrance probably had the worst assignment last weekend; they had to be stoic bouncers for the entire day, and yet stay chipper for passholders. Greg/Bigbear told me that someone actually offered him S$50 to borrow his annual pass.

I hope has new plans to control traffic at Sci-Fi City. It was swamped last week during Transformers' technical rehearsals, with many large clusters of people sitting randomly on the street.