TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Shane, thanks for providing pictures that explains what I called a "ski jump." If a boat was light enough, I guess it could have become airborne a bit. I did take several rides that were rather rough after passing over that thing.

Also, in the one picture of SFGAd's Moon flume, it looks like the two yellow boats are coming down the same chute almost right after each other. I don't recall Jet Stream ever sending boats down like that.

Do you have any pictures of the Sky Tower when it had its rainbow color scheme? That was...interesting. The off-white tower was in the first season, and the rainbow pattern was added in the second season and stayed a few years before becoming red.

For trivia, those big plates about two-thirds of the way up on four sides of the tower used to have a Western Airlines logo on it (basically a big red W). At the time, that long defunct airline sponsored the tower. Of course, when Western went belly up, the plates were painted over and nothing else has been painted on them since.

Eric

Just when you thought you'd get a break from Magic Mountain pictures, here are some more! Robb said he would be out to take some pictures of the (takes a deep breath) "Six Flags Magic Mountain Spring Break Out Extreme Guitar Hero® Challenge at Golden Bear Theater in High Sierra Territory". But I couldn't contain myself from all of today's excitement! Seriously, yesterday I knew nothing about Guitar Hero and never played, and today was a blast for both all of the guests as well as the staff. If you like Guitar Hero, you HAVE to come to this event; it is AWESOME! We are giving away pairs of season passes to 40 people for top scores each day, for a flabberghasting 240 Season Passes, with cash prizes for the top 3 players at the finals this Thursday. Enjoy these few pictures, and COME TO THE EVENT...and say hi!

My name is William,

and I am SIX FLAGS!

4.jpg.7291f77c4defdc6f075c7e3774f0d225.jpg

Jay and I "testing" out the game to make sure it was working correctly. (I beat him by about 100 points. 650 to 545.)

1.jpg.f9638b6dba543955732e731b4f4e32b7.jpg

...and a shot of about 1/3 of the crowd that gathered to watch them play.

10.jpg.22ce6b011894205bb4d8b8d9df302a29.jpg

Elijah and Matt, two of the youngest and most talented rockers all day. This is at my stage, the "expert level"...

2.jpg.13326d504c17ae54a210acfa82fa1eeb.jpg

Jodi and her son Josh battle each other.

3.jpg.2f20571af0babd977771b0207ec9640b.jpg

Tim and Jay playing away. I'll let you guess who won.

Some great pics!

Looking at the last few updates, look at how much has happened in just a WEEK! Cyber Cafe is open (looking forward to checking that out next time I'm there), the new game is already open, and all kinds of things going on.

That's some great news about X2 being smoother than Scream-I have never had a "rough" ride on Scream at all. It sounds like the new trains have the added plus of improving the ride experience as well as the reliability/throughput, which is awesome. Memorial Day can't get here soon enough!

When I get my more fuel efficient vehicle running I will make it back out to the park. Right now my cars giving me 10 miles to the gallon which requires a $50 round trip to MM, money I refuse to spend just on gas to get there.

But its great to see how much is going on around the park! Thanks for the updates!

2 Questions:

Is Valencia Falls up and running like they told us it would be? I'm really looking forward to seeing the entire falls running like it used to with Tatsu flying above (I don't think this has happened since its opening).

One thing I noticed during my ride on Viper at WCB is that they were running 2 trains, with one on the transfer clearly visible, and ANOTHER train covered by a tarp. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this?

My guess is its an Arrow train from another looping coaster in the chain? Not sure if it's been refurbished to look like our Vipers trains, or if its just going to sit there for pieces for a year or so. Did anyone else see this?

Holy crap! I can't belive I going here in three days. It looks SOOOOO much different than it did a few years ago. They are getting so much done is such a short amount of time, and I can't belive it. The park is on its way to success. Great job Six Flags, I can't wait to see whats in store.

"My guess is its an Arrow train from another looping coaster in the chain? Not sure if it's been refurbished to look like our Vipers trains, or if its just going to sit there for pieces for a year or so." (PURE)

Viper had four trains originally, all green with varying colored stripes---gold, orange, red, and yellow. Of course, only three could be run at one time, and they did for a long time. (Ninja has four trains as well and can run three.)

I didn't ride Viper at WCB, so I never did see a tarp covering anything. It's possible that Six Flags has cannibalized equipment from other Arrow multi-element coasters they have in the chain. A good example is the old Shock Wave car from SFGAm that was out in the Psyclone area.

Eric

I don't think I've ever seen the Gold Viper train. Only Red, Orange, and Yellow...or at least what I assumed to be Yellow.

By the way, now that Psyclone is gone, are they going to take the "Psyclone" portion off the trains when and if they run it for frightfest?

Wow I say. Having just been to Magic Mountain last March I have to say these are some really good changes. I actually didn't find my trip to Magic Mountain all that bad when I went. The staff were were okay and didn't really find much to complain about there... however, having been to Cedar Point many times I have to say that their staff could teach many parks something about hospitality. Being made to laugh while waiting in line or participate in some type of crazy "whoot" off while we waited really does make the difference in changing a fun day to an exceptionally fun day. Hopefully MM can instill the same in their staff. Not only with the day to day but also in the benefits provided to keep them motivated. Definitely want to return to MM some day and these reports make me want to schedule it sooner rather than later.

Funny thing about SFMM is that you never know where stuff will end up. One time while waiting in line, I noticed an entire Gold Rusher train parked by the building next to Scream's queue. Why it was there was beyond me because it didn't look like anyone was doing anything to it.

Eric

^Things get moved around and are put in places that, to a guest, may not make sense sometimes. And although it might not look like nothings happening to it right then, its most likely getting refurbished or re-done. It's pretty much a rule that during park operating hours, maintenence is supposed to be out of sight from guests, not working on or re-locating things around the park.

Also there are a lot of "maintenence paths" throughout the park and some of them you can't even see, so sometimes although it might not seem to make sense for things to be in certain places, it just so happens to be a convenient spot for the mechanics at that time.

I cannot remember the last time Viper had 3 trains running, nor can I remember the last time the line was so long that 3 trains were necessary.

However I do remember that when it was one of the more popular rides and they had 3 trains running, they NEVER stacked them. A train would unlock restraints, replace guests, check restraints and be dispatched in almost under 45 seconds, every time.

I'd love to see that happen at ANY ride today.

^The question is, are three trains necessary? From what I've seen, (I believe) they use one train in the morning and allow guests to build up before they add another train after a while speeding up the line process. Even on a busy summer day, Two train operation, Viper doesn't have more than a 10-15 minute wait. That's my experience, at least.

^ At one time, three-train operation at Viper was necessary to keep the line moving. It works well, provided guests get into the trains and get their OTSRs down.

One train is in the station and leaves as the one before it passes the block brake, and the third one is behind the station and moves in as the one in the station moves out.

Eric

^ Thanks I've been looking for it forever!! Do you know what it is called??

Speaking of the music does anyone know if they are changing the music that is played in the station??

I know the others are from the Crystal Method

Vapor Trail

Confusion / Blood Rave

She's my Pusher

John

The "main" song played in X's station was "New Order - Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction). It's incorrectly credited to Crystal Method sometimes. The original song is Confusion by New Order and dates back to about 1983. Pump Panel did the remix originally for a 1995 New Order Remix album, it appeared in Blade (1998), and later in X's station. I really identify the song with X, so I sort of hope it carries on into X2.

The "main" song played in X's station was "New Order - Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction). It's incorrectly credited to Crystal Method sometimes.

Thanks for the correction. I'm glad that I have all four songs now. I really do hope they still play when X2 opens. Did Déjà Vu ever have music in it's station?