TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just got in some photos of the Flashback demolition progress courtesy of Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I for one am certainly pleased to see the park removing the old ride, and I'm looking forward to what may replace it!

Vekoma Stingray!

As appetizing as it would be to have a new attraction in that spot, part of me feels its not going to happen. Why? The years-long rumblings about how the ride was a distraction for the lifeguards, plus there aren't really any attractions in that area save for the backside of Bugs Bunny World. Why take out a loud one and put in another loud one?

My "guess" would be the area would be perfect for a Hurricane Harbor exapansion.

Question: Last couple times I was in that area (in 2006) I noticed that gate has turnstyles. Do they or did they ever use that area as a secondary entrance to the park.

The turnstiles let you into Hurricane Harbor. They were added when HH was added.

For those old-timers, has the entry to SFMM always been to the left and has the configuration changed at all? My first visit I can remember was when I was like 5 so that would have been like 1988. From watching National Lampoons and Rollercoaster I cant seem to match up the entrance with the current layout.

While I would hardly call "37 years old" an "old-timer" I can certainly answer the question. The entrance is where it always has been. It has not moved every since I started going to the park in 1978.

--Robb

Question: Last couple times I was in that area (in 2006) I noticed that gate has turnstyles. Do they or did they ever use that area as a secondary entrance to the park.

The turnstiles let you into Hurricane Harbor. They were added when HH was added.

--Robb

Funnily enough, I just noticed these turnstiles the last time I was over there, taking Flashback pictures that didn't come out.

My question is, since that was an entrance to HH, was HH originally included with admission? Or was this a separate way, once you got into the park, to get into HH other than the main gate next to the metal detectors (assuming you paid for admission to both SFMM and HH)?

As one who's visited the park each and every year since Year One (1971), I will confirm that the entrance is where it's always been, though with a few modifications. The big gates are original, but the ticket booths were past there at one time. Hurricane Harbor was once Mystic Lake (1983-1994), but before that was parking. With that in mind, we now know that coasters aren't the only thing that Six Flags puts in parking lots!

Flashback sat on almost the same spot as a Schwarzkopf Wildcat called Mountain Express did from 1973-1982.

I agree with Robb that a Hurricane Harbor expansion is what that area will be used for. To me it just makes sense. Without that rattletrap coaster there, HH lifeguards won't have any problem anymore.

Eric

^ No doubt a Screamin' Swing would fit there, but I don't think SFMM is interested in adding anything like that in their current quest to become family friendly. Also, their upcharge rides are all clustered together over in Cyclone Bay---at least for now.

Eric

I've always wanted to go on this...

Oh well, maybe it'll be a part of the Chevy Cobalt I buy myself! not so likely...

I'm sure that the GMs already have ideas of what they want to go into that spot. Thrilling (or not so much) rides are able to fit onto less and less space now and days. Skyhawk at Cedar Point, if I can remember correctly, doesnt take up much more than 20 sq. yards of space, give or take. And thats the largest one of its kind!

If they want another coaster, maybe Gertslauer will squeeze in a custom spinner with the same Tony Hawk themeing as is going in every other Six Flags park.

I'm interested to see what will go into that space. Its always exciting when usually jam-packed parks gets free space

There definitley wont be a new coaster or large flat going in that space as it wouldnt be open during the summer....so that leaves with either an indoor ride or HH expansion.

Huh..interesting.

I had always wondered what those turnstyles to nowhere near Flashback were used for.

In my mind I always assumed they were the left over entrance to the old grandstand area on Mystic Lake.

But SFMM wouldn't leave something like that sitting there for that long..would they??

^ No doubt a Screamin' Swing would fit there, but I don't think SFMM is interested in adding anything like that in their current quest to become family friendly. Also, their upcharge rides are all clustered together over in Cyclone Bay---at least for now.

Eric

Wait..Screamin' Swings is an "Upcharge" ride? I think S&S Power makes kiddie Screamin' Swings, too. I may be wrong.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Flashback (as long as you keep your back and head against the cushion). It has been a few years since I rode it, but I enjoyed the quick drops and also the fact that the ride was compacted in to such a small area. Since it is going bye bye, I hope it gets replaced with a nice new coaster, what SFMM is known for.

Wait..Screamin' Swings is an "Upcharge" ride? I think S&S Power makes kiddie Screamin' Swings, too. I may be wrong.

There are two versions. The smaller upcharge version, which usually holds 4 people. And then much larger version that holds 32 to 40 people.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Flashback (as long as you keep your back and head against the cushion). It has been a few years since I rode it, but I enjoyed the quick drops and also the fact that the ride was compacted in to such a small area.

If you knew when to brace yourself, it was an "interesting" ride. While I did hate it as much as other people did, I won't miss it either.

--Robb

^^ Knott's has a Screamin' Swing, and it is an upcharge ride there. I do know that at least one park has one, but it's a high-capacity version, so it was added as a regular ride.

I either read or someone told me that Skycoasters, Screamin' Swings, Thrill Shots, etc. end up being upcharge rides because they don't have the capacity of regular flat rides or coasters. Perhaps someone else here can explain that better.

Eric

^ IMO, a SkyCoaster is TOTALLY worth it...especially if you've never done one. Havnig done about 40 Sky Coasters I normally don't do them now unless it's either free or highly discounted.

But as for upcharge rides, I would say the only two I've really felt were "worth the money for the first time" is the Sky Coaster and the newer style spring loaded ejector seats.

--Robb

As one who's visited the park each and every year since Year One (1971), I will confirm that the entrance is where it's always been, though with a few modifications. The big gates are original, but the ticket booths were past there at one time. Hurricane Harbor was once Mystic Lake (1983-1994), but before that was parking. With that in mind, we now know that coasters aren't the only thing that Six Flags puts in parking lots!

Flashback sat on almost the same spot as a Schwarzkopf Wildcat called Mountain Express did from 1973-1982.

I agree with Robb that a Hurricane Harbor expansion is what that area will be used for. To me it just makes sense. Without that rattletrap coaster there, HH lifeguards won't have any problem anymore.

Eric

I see that Eric and I are close in age and I too as a kid use to call MM my home.The Mountain Express was the 1st coaster I road alone when I was around 10. It was right near where Flachback is (was). The entrance is all the same. But the booths in front are different and the security check points. I agree with Robb that area will go to HH but I don't see SSMM doing anything until they get the park cleaned up. For now that area may get turned into a little bit more of a beach and staging area.

^ IMO, a SkyCoaster is TOTALLY worth it...especially if you've never done one. Havnig done about 40 Sky Coasters I normally don't do them now unless it's either free or highly discounted.

But as for upcharge rides, I would say the only two I've really felt were "worth the money for the first time" is the Sky Coaster and the newer style spring loaded ejector seats.

--Robb

I completely agree with SkyCoaster being worth it if you haven't tried it at least once. After a few trips, I'd say ok to pass unless its in a unique setting.

I got my fair share of rides on the old MGM Grand Adventures SkyScreamer when I worked there in high school. During our month of training we had to ride it over and over while the SkyCoaster ops were getting their training hours in. We also would stay after the park closed to get a couple rides in every now and then. Nothing like riding solo at night!

Eric

I see that Eric and I are close in age and I too as a kid use to call MM my home.The Mountain Express was the 1st coaster I road alone when I was around 10. It was right near where Flachback is (was). The entrance is all the same. But the booths in front are different and the security check points. I agree with Robb that area will go to HH but I don't see SSMM doing anything until they get the park cleaned up. For now that area may get turned into a little bit more of a beach and staging area.

Thanks for all the info. It was just one of those curiousity things. I remember Mystic Lake. In fact I remember standing in line for Flashback with a line out of the queue house with those boarding pass slips when the ski show let out and everyone trying to jump in line.

As for me, now I can say that's two types of coasters I never got to ride because the @#$%& things were never running on the days I visited the parks. Of course, the coasters I'm talking about are the Deja Vu and Flashback. I always said that if you can't keep those coasters up and running all the time, then get rid off them!!! I'm sure there is an amusement park in (H - E - double hockey sticks) that could use them.

"Welcome to my park. Tons of rides here"

"But you got nothing running?"

"This is (H - E - double hockey sticks): nothing runs here!"

"Arrgh!!!"