TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

WCB is an incredible value for just the ERT alone, never mind the free parking, meals, backstage access, etc. I think that people need to keep in mind that the parks don't have to do these kinds of events for us. It's only through hard work, dedication, and the great relationships built up by the leaders of sites like TPR and Rideworld, that we even have these opportunities at all. A few more bucks, or even 10, or 20, just isn't enough to quibble over when you consider what you get for the relatively small amount that you pay. If that few more bucks keeps some of the complainers from attending, all the better. I'd rather spend my time at these events with people that truly appreciate them anyway. For what it's worth, count me as signed up if for any reason either park does decide to offer an add-on dinner option. The dinner add-on at SFMM was an incredible value for whatever it was that we paid for it. (I think it was like $10 or $15 wasn't it?) The spread they laid out, especially the pasta and meatballs, was awesome, and... We got a great big HUGE dessert on top of that, along with all the soda or iced tea you cared to drink. Anyone (who doesn't have specific dietary requirements) that wouldn't want to take advantage of that deal doesn't know the meaning of the word value.

As for the S:EFK testing, I'll be happy if it just reaches the red portion of the tower during normal operating mode. Anything above that will be a bonus. I'll take the testing with a grain of salt until we actually see it run with full trains of riders in normal operation.

Does anyone know the seat configurations for S:EFK yet? Would it be the same as ToT2? Thanks.

P.S It's my first post

It probably would be. I'm guessing that the restraint system is the only major difference in the seating, besides the fact that it's backwards, so I'd imagine that it still has 15 seats with 1 row of 3 and 3 rows of 4 like the last train.

Here is a link to another video of Superman testing from youtube. It is shot from close to the tower and you can see a detailed look at the train. Enjoy.

ADMIT EDIT: We have a feature where you can embed YouTube videos into your post so you don't have to click, open up another browser, and watch the video. Please use that feature next time.

Edited by robbalvey

"I'd imagine that it still has 15 seats with 1 row of 3 and 3 rows of 4 like the last train." (Six Flags Enthuseast)

From what I've seen, the configuration will be two seats in the front row (well, back row since it's going backwards), then four across in the other rows for a total of 14 riders per car. I believe that's how it is on ToT. Perhaps one of our readers from Down Under can verify that.

One concern I have is how much longer will it take to load/unload riders with these OTSRs? The old lap bar was fairly simple, and I could usually time dispatches at about a minute-and-a-half to two minutes apart.

Eric

^Assuming that OTSR would have a seatbelt (like on most Intamins with OTSR's) I'd expect loading to be quite longer. Then again, if they're going to be using both sides again, that should make up for the capacity loss.

^Why is the entire train colored blue?

Why does that whole video seem completely over saturated and ugly? It's either a really terrible cell phone camera or they did something to it before it was uploaded.

It wasn't an iPhone 4 Robb! Probably one of those Droids lol.

"I'd imagine that it still has 15 seats with 1 row of 3 and 3 rows of 4 like the last train." (Six Flags Enthuseast)

From what I've seen, the configuration will be two seats in the front row (well, back row since it's going backwards), then four across in the other rows for a total of 14 riders per car. I believe that's how it is on ToT. Perhaps one of our readers from Down Under can verify that.

You're right, I just noticed in the video that it has 2 for the 1st row and then 4 for the rest of the rows. I'm sure that'll negatively affect the wait time for the front (or back?), since the front row seemed to have longer lines than any other rows and had only 3 seats.

And is it just me, or does the car appear to be testing forwards in the new video?

EDIT: My eyes decieve me! Yeah, it's definitely testing backwards. Nevermind.

^I found that the person who recorded the video also posted pictures of the coaster on this website: http://planetsix.weebly.com/news.html

If you look closely, the coaster is testing backwards. The website also states that the coaster "will only be receiving the one new car, as the ride will operate with one side backwards, with the other still forwards with the classic car."

Edited by Midgetman82

Regarding the color of the train - have you guys thought that maybe one side will have a blue car, and the other will have a red? I think that'd be sweet!

As high as it is getting on the tower, it still looks very slow to me.. How fast is it going do you guys think?

To go that high the ride definitely has to be hitting over 90 now. I'd say it's going more in the 95 - 100 MPH range, and lets hope it stays that way. The ride looks SO GOOD getting so close to the brakes, just like it was originally designed to!

In the past decade or so when Superman: The Escape tested each morning, it did go higher up the tower empty than with people in the car, but it still only went about 4 "sections" below the brakes. This train is going MUCH higher than I've seen it in the past 10-12 years, as I haven't seen a train go that high since the ride was open for season pass-holders in 1997.

But as Robb said the ride is only testing, who knows how it will run once opened. However, I think it's a good sign that they're actually getting the ride up that high now, especially if they can do it consistently. The problem was never that the ride couldn't go that fast, it was that it couldn't consistently go that fast without shutting down every 2-3 cycles.

How is the noise level? Can you still hear it all over the park?

Eric

This question has been answered before, and the answer was that the ride will still sound the same. The sound you're hearing is the lateral bogeys rubbing up against the rail in the center of the track. Because of its unique desing, the ride allows VERY MINIMAL lateral movement because of the LSMs tight fit between the cars magnets, and therefore has has bogeys with metal wheels rubbing up against that center metal rail to restrict the amount of lateral "play" over time as cycle numbers increase.

It has nothing to do with the ride wheels, upstop wheels, or car design.

^I found that the person who recorded the video also posted pictures of the coaster on this website: http://planetsix.weebly.com/news.html

If you look closely, the coaster is testing backwards. The website also states that the coaster "will only be receiving the one new car, as the ride will operate with one side backwards, with the other still forwards with the classic car."

Wow, so I guess it'll still have a 'classic car' with lap bars. I guess things have changed since the promo video?

About WCB, I think it is a VERY reasonable price!

I've only been to SFMM once (back in 2007) and $53 for an EVENT there sounds like an AMAZING deal!!! I'd gladly pay $53 to attend. Gladly.

Especially considering that if I went online right now it would cost me $39.99 for a one-day click n print admission ticket. Anyone that is trying to argue that all the ERT, two meals, parking, and the other extras that the park puts on for us isn't worth $13 is an idiot. Sorry, but it's totally true.

--Robb "I don't want people at the event that think it's not a good value for money...those people can stay home!" Alvey

I agree, Robb, this is a good value.........for someone who's never been to the Mountain, or someone who only plans to come out once a year. For someone with a season pass, it's not such a good deal. Since I already have my admission covered, I'd gladly pay $13 for all those extras.

I've looked at prices on the SFMM website and I think it is quite easy to justify the $53 ticket price when you figure what all it includes.

Parking-$15

Admission (to save money, we'll say you buy a ticket online)-$35

Meals (estimate for two meals in the park)-$26

ERT (since you can't buy ERT, substitute a regular Flash Pass)-$41

Photo (conservatively)-$10

Total-$127

But, I've got a season pass and parking pass, so eliminate the first 2 items. I can go across town to Hometown Buffet and get all-you-can-eat for maybe $10-12 (with a wider selection of food). Throw in a few donuts and juice for breakfast for another $4. ERT is harder to price since it's subjective for everyone. For me, I'd price it at $25. A picture? Got plenty so don't really care. So, my personal break-point would be around $40.

Now, I realize that Six Flags is still suffering financially and with the extra employee wages, food costs, etc. that this event incurs, it's possible (probable?) that they are still losing money, so there isn't much incentive there to give a break to season pass-holders. How is it that other parks can host this type of event at a minimal (or free) cost? Ok, apples & oranges. I know you have no control over this, Robb, and each park has the right to consider and approve/reject any requests for lowered prices, and it seems that my opinion is in the minority of those posting here, so my disappointment lies with the park and it looks like this will be the first Bash weekend that I missed.

The website also states that the coaster "will only be receiving the one new car, as the ride will operate with one side backwards, with the other still forwards with the classic car."

This makes no sense cause all other articles said both sides would be backwards til the hype died down. TO have one side running would be frankly, retarded.

-Cookie

^Exactly.

Magic Mountain already explained the rides planned operations when they announced the rides opening date. Any other source claiming differently should be taken as a grain of salt until the park officially says it.

As far as capacity, I can't imagine how long the line would be for the backwards side if only 1 side was operating that way.

About WCB, I think it is a VERY reasonable price!

I've only been to SFMM once (back in 2007) and $53 for an EVENT there sounds like an AMAZING deal!!! I'd gladly pay $53 to attend. Gladly.

Especially considering that if I went online right now it would cost me $39.99 for a one-day click n print admission ticket. Anyone that is trying to argue that all the ERT, two meals, parking, and the other extras that the park puts on for us isn't worth $13 is an idiot. Sorry, but it's totally true.

--Robb "I don't want people at the event that think it's not a good value for money...those people can stay home!" Alvey

I agree, Robb, this is a good value.........for someone who's never been to the Mountain, or someone who only plans to come out once a year. For someone with a season pass, it's not such a good deal. Since I already have my admission covered, I'd gladly pay $13 for all those extras.

I've looked at prices on the SFMM website and I think it is quite easy to justify the $53 ticket price when you figure what all it includes.

Parking-$15

Admission (to save money, we'll say you buy a ticket online)-$35

Meals (estimate for two meals in the park)-$26

ERT (since you can't buy ERT, substitute a regular Flash Pass)-$41

Photo (conservatively)-$10

Total-$127

But, I've got a season pass and parking pass, so eliminate the first 2 items. I can go across town to Hometown Buffet and get all-you-can-eat for maybe $10-12 (with a wider selection of food). Throw in a few donuts and juice for breakfast for another $4. ERT is harder to price since it's subjective for everyone. For me, I'd price it at $25. A picture? Got plenty so don't really care. So, my personal break-point would be around $40.

First off, the cost of the event is set by the park. They charge what they feel is a fair value for the event based on their operating costs. I did ask for a season pass discount this year and they declined. Neal's exact quote to me was "I realize the Season Pass price will be a question, but the reality of the matter is the value on the day far exceeds the $53 ticket price."

Having said that, the only response I can say to your post, and I've said it so many times already, if you don't feel like the event is worth the money, you shouldn't go. In fact, I would encourage you NOT to go. If you're going to complain about the cost of the event before even getting there, seriously, you should just skip it. The last thing I want is people showing up to the event giving Neal or myself a hard time about the cost of it.

Personally, as much as I would have liked to been able of offer a season pass price, I still think it's a great value! You'll get to do things you couldn't do on any other normal operating day. That means a lot to some people, not much to others. If you don't care about the possibility of doing tours, or any other behind the scenes stuff, or getting to interact with the park management, then you shouldn't go. I'm not going to be offended if someone doesn't go to the event, but I will be annoyed with the people who keep trying to convince me that it should be cheaper. To be perfectly honest, if you'd rather go to the park on a quiet off-peak operating day, leave the park and drive to hometown buffet, and stop at the gas station to pick up donuts in the morning, then that's the kind of day you probably should invest your money in, not West Coast Bash.

If you want a day filled with ERT, having the park basically to ourselves, loads of backstage tours, presentations by the park, random perks like having the ride audio themed to our events, hanging out socializing with friends who share the same interest, and tons of other little extras to keep you busy throughout the day, then West Coast Bash is for you.

I think it also just shows that most people have absolutely no concept of the time, effort, and work that goes into putting on an event like this. If people had any idea of that, they wouldn't be complaining about the price. I sometimes feel it's like a no-win situation here. On one hand I got people complaining that Club TPR needs more events, and on the other hand I got people complaining that the events cost too much money. You know what would be the easy win for me? NOT DOING ANY OF THIS STUFF! But that ain't what I'm all about. I aim to please our members. The park aims to please their guests. Sure, Knott's may offer a season pass price, but they also aren't going to staff possible 15 to 16 rides during ERT for us. Sometimes parks will charge us in the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for just a couple of rides to have open for ERT for an hour! We are getting such an amazing deal on the operating cost of having the entire park basically to ourselves.

Yes, the event is the most expensive it's ever been. Yes, I asked for a season pass discounted price. Yes, other parks put on cheaper events. Yes, our 2nd partner park in West Coast Bash is offering a season pass discount. We know all that already. No amount of showing me the breakdown in a post is going to uncover something we haven't already looked into ourselves. I'll just say it again...

If you think it's too much money...don't go. Simple.

--Robb "Not trying to be rude about it, just saying I get where you're coming from, and the option I recommend is not to go." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Robb, why do you even bother wasting your time on these people that think it's too expensive? They're not going to change their mind anyway.

Didn't the event at MM sell out last year?

Don't worry about convincing the naysayers, there are plenty of people who think a day full of events at MM filled with ERT and a bunch of extras is MORE THAN WORTH the price of admission, including me!