TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^Atem did you pay attention to what train you rode on all three times? Just curious...

^ Its about context, not base potty humor. Medusa east nee Bizarro isn't all that either when it sits in the shadow of El Toro and across the park from Nitro. Stick it in the Adventuredome or some other lesser park, it shines. The best coaster is the one I'm riding now, or can get to. Try living somewhere where there aren't any decent spins, you'll see.

Like I said before, I've ridden Scream a billion times and I rode Bizarro last year at SFGAdv and seriously, Bizarro was a heck of a lot better. Yeah sure it would be a more appreciated ride in a 'lesser park' but that wouldn't make it a better ride... IMO Scream is just one of those rides that isn't very good, theming or no theming.

If I remember correctly, trains 2 and 3 were running, and I believe I rode both of them.

^^^ Yes, I was bracing my head against the headrest. I have found that to be necessary no matter where I sit on X2 just like you have. This was the first time that I got whipped forward and back into the seat so hard that I was not able to keep my head back even though I was trying to.

I'm heading up to the Mountain this Friday. I don't think the park will be crowded anymore, like it has during spring break, and last week when I went. Any time now during the week for April should be a pretty good day.

I still don't know why the park closes at 7 pm that Friday. There's still no events listed for that day. Hopefully its just an extra hour to get a lot of re-rides in of Goliath.

Great news. I called the park today and asked about this Friday. I was told that they are having a private party from 7:00pm-midnight that day and that is why the park is open until 7:00 instead of 6:00. There is no special event during the regular operating day. Now that I know this I have decided to go to the park this Friday too. A school day with an extra hour is too tempting to pass up.

For those of you who have ridden X and Scream and any other ride that is "painful," by now shouldn't you know where all the problem spots are and be able to brace yourself? I realize X2 has it moments. And for that very reason I brace my head against the restraint on certain elements and have no problem at all. If its your first time I understand but after say your 20th time you should know how to position yourself.

Or maybe I am just special.

Some coasters like Colossus are obviously a little harder and there isn't much you can do.

^^^ Yes, I was bracing my head against the headrest. I have found that to be necessary no matter where I sit on X2 just like you have. This was the first time that I got whipped forward and back into the seat so hard that I was not able to keep my head back even though I was trying to.

I never brace myself on X2. I think the rush and adrenaline just overshadows the roughness.

I'm a small guy, so I get tossed around everywhere but for some reason I notice it more on Scream. Especially the 2nd half of the ride.

I'm heading up to the Mountain this Friday. I don't think the park will be crowded anymore, like it has during spring break, and last week when I went. Any time now during the week for April should be a pretty good day.

I still don't know why the park closes at 7 pm that Friday. There's still no events listed for that day. Hopefully its just an extra hour to get a lot of re-rides in of Goliath.

Great news. I called the park today and asked about this Friday. I was told that they are having a private party from 7:00pm-midnight that day and that is why the park is open until 7:00 instead of 6:00. There is no special event during the regular operating day. Now that I know this I have decided to go to the park this Friday too. A school day with an extra hour is too tempting to pass up.

Awesome... thanks for this.

Will you be wearing your Tatsu shirt?

-----

I never have problems with X2 except for the last raven turn. If I'm sitting in the middle rows usually my legs encounter all the pain. But if I'm sitting in the last two rows, I make sure I don't take my head off that head rest going in on that last raven turn.

I have not found Colossus or GhostRider to be painful. In my opinion Colossus is a tiny bit rough but not enough to be an issue. GhostRider is very rough but not to the point of being painful.

^ You're welcome. I was very happy to find this out too. I will be wearing my X2 shirt this time.

I figured out how to win it! (Thank God for trial and error) But I'm not allowed to enter because I'm a minor? They need to be more clear with their rules, it states:

Participants and winner(s) must be U.S. residents, at least 18-years

old, as determined by the Company, and reside in the Station’s Total Survey Area (TSA), as

defined by Arbitron Inc.

And then right after it says

If the contest is open to minors, a parent or guardian of any participant who

is a minor must sign a release on behalf of the minor to be eligible to receive a prize, however, the

Company reserves the right to refuse to award a prize to any minor.

So I'm not sure if it's open to minors or not...

Went to the park today. It was a pretty good day. Batman made me sick though.

Ride order and count went something like this:

Tatsu 1x (2 total)

Deja Vu 2x

Terminator 1x

Superman 1x

Goldrusher 1x

Jet Stream 1x

Riddler's Revenge 1x

Goliath 1x (2 total)

Colossus 1x

Goliath 1x (2 total)

Batman 1x

X2 1x

Tatsu 1x (2 total)

* Park really wasn't that bad at all. Goliath had no line by the times I got to it if that can serve as an indication. We waited about 40 minutes to ride X2. X2's line got even shorter around 2:30 PM. Shorter than the line I waited in.

* Ninja is still closed.

My ride with X2 wasn't enjoyable though, as I banged my head again after the second raven turn. So X2 is definitely dropping on my list as of late as far as my favorite rides in the park are concerned.

Quick question to those who have been in the red, sky, observation tower. I've never been up in the tower before. I was considering going up there today after I got off Tatsu the second time, but it didn't look like it was open. How can you tell when it usually, in-fact, is open?

^^ If the tower is closed, there's usually a chain across the entrance and a "Closed" sign of some kind on it. It's a shame you've missed going up there. For me, it was always fun because I like to see things from high up, but since the Magic of the Mountain museum opened a couple of years ago, that's just another reason to go up there. (The museum is a bunch of displays of old park maps, photos, equipment, etc., along with videos of early commercials from the '70s and '80s. Well worth a trip up to see it whether you're new to the park or have been going since Year One (1971).

Eric

^ Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I went up to it and saw a chain link in front of the elevator entrance, and I asked someone else who was taking pictures near it who believed it was closed, and so I figured it was closed. I also didn't see any elevator going up or down.

I definitely plan to go up there in the near future, next couple of visits if I have the opportunity.