TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I haven't eaten theme park food in years, mainly due to my SFMM culinary experiences in the past. I have a hard time paying that much money for mediocre (at best) food. Usually, I eat a big, calorically dense breakfast, and don't end up hungry until dinner time after leaving the park. In those cases where I do get hungry during the day, a quick trip out to the parking lot to the cooler in the trunk of my car tides me over until dinner. I'm just not that big on theme park food. Though, I have to admit, the smell from Zambia Smokehouse at Busch Gardens Tampa was quite mouth watering.

-Doug "Taking time to dine at a park eats into my riding time" Heim

As it stands now, Mooseburger Lodge is the best food value in the park. Yes, it's priced like typical theme park food (which is to say that it's more costly than a typical burger joint outside the park) but at least the food is good. You also get the "atmosphere" of the lodge and free refills on your drinks. I may grab a snack or 2 around the park, but we always plan on having any full meals at Mooseburger.

^Don't forget the air conditioning. Mooseburger is the best place to eat at the park.

To be honest, I have never really found the food quality at Six Flags parks to be that bad. Don't get me wrong I didn't say its good either. Its just not as bad as Cedar Fair's. With whom I still give the award for worst quality non-chain food.

Greg serves a valid point though why pay In-N-Out prices for food that tastes worse then McDonalds (Sorry Elissa not my cup of tea ) I'm just saying if you make the prices outrageous then why not make the effort to put out great food like these Theme Parks that show they take pride in guest satisfaction? Six Flags can try to compete all they want but they'll never be the type of chain of a Universal or Disney because they aren't willing to put out the effort to make it the best experience for the guest. That's the same reason why effects on rides last 1-2 years (exception to X2's audio and fire) and the reason you could make a point it's a hangout for teens not families. Personally this is just my opinion as I'm not a fan of the new park president because Jay Thomas was taking it in the right direction with how he would roam the park being extremely courteous and how willing he was to listen to the guest's input where as this Park President (name has blanked on me) has kind of been a ghost except for when she appears for ride openings. I feel if they truly wanted to they could add better food but why if you can charge through the roof when people will buy poor quality? I just wanna be clear though, I'm not expecting Disney or Dollywod by any means just I agree it should be you get what you pay for.

-Cookie "just my opinion" Iorio

Not to sound too dumb, but most of the complaining about food prices is coming from younguns or single people. Try this with a family of 4!! I don't care how bad McD's of BK is, that is what the kids are getting for lunch somewhere really close to a park we visit. My dad taught me long ago that it is not bad to pay alot for a meal, as long as it is worth it. No park food is worth it with very few exceptions.

On a side note to any SFMM employees, is there a discount offered to you on food. From my past at CP we had a few "backside" places we could get the same park food like 80% less. The Stockade stand over near CCMM was one of them.

^There is an employee cafe behind Food Etc. just on the other side of the exit ramp of Goliath. In fact if you were exiting Goliath and they didn't have the painted wall on the right side of the exit ramp, you'd be able to see the outdoor patio where the employees eat.

The food there is OK, I wouldn't say it's a step above the food they have around the park, but they have basic salads, chicken strips, fries, hot dogs (staying warm in water) and burgers, and the prices are pretty decent (I think it was about $4 for chicken strips, fries and a drink). The difference is atleast sometimes they have the fries coming out of the fryer, or they cook a burger off the grill so its warm and fresh.

It is amazing though how some parks (namely Disney and Universal) have food that I almost crave when I think about going to the parks, namely the Gumbo in a bread bowl at Disneyland, and some of the BBQ I've had a Universal among other things. Soooo good it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. And from what I remember they don't gouge you with high prices nearly as much as Six Flags (although I'd say by the quality of the food they'd almost be justified if they did).

I'll go ahead and support the Mooseburger Lodge bandwagon. I always end up eating my dinner there, it's a great opportunity to sit down and relax in air conditioning, and the prices are only $1 or $2 more than other food venues in the park. With the free refills and the relaxed environment, it's worth it. The prices to me are no different than a trip out to Islands or some other sit-down burger joint. I have also found that you can sometimes sneak in a ride on Log Jammer while you are waiting for your table

The Panda Express was $10 last time I was there, which is only $2 more than their mall locations, and the food is standard. That works too, but the sitting area kind of sucks.

I really feel like most people are complaining about the food service area across from Gold Rusher. I agree if that's the case; that place has always been a mess. You wait in a long CRAWLING line in the hot sun, to get up to the counter where one employee is taking the order, giving out change, and grabbing the food. After waiting a half hour in the sun for a 12 dollar burger, I would be hard pressed for anyone to be impressed, even if the food is descent! Oh, yeah, and after you grab your food, you have to find an open seat, and hope that the seat and table aren't covered in ketchup, crumbs, and bird crap. It's just all around a terrible dining experience.

I thought I had my VIP Trip (4 VIP tickets from the state farm sweeps last year) to SFMM nearly down for augest 13th. I invited my older brother who i also asked to take is VW station wagon. However after he closed on his mission/tasks here in California he went right up to Oregon to drop a friend off and is now moving to Maui. I told him not to worry about it though I do wish he could of come and he was my plan for getting us and 2 others down there.

So now I'm left to where I was more then a month ago. So far I got me and my friend down to go but I can't drive since i'm too much of a pussy for it. So i'd like our 3rd or 4th party member to be able to drive as well so they can take shifts. Since its over 300 miles. I think we'll try and get out other friend as a 3rd but he can't drive either I think.

I have no idea who we'll take as a 4th though and that person should, hopefully have a drivers license. Plus on top of this my friend wants to rent a car since his is kinda crappy I guess and we don't want to be stuck on I-5 going south, or coming back north. So we'll likely rent a car.

(Well why don't you take your dad? I would but he's been a bit of a ass lately which is one of the reasons my brother left the state from what I gather. Plus my dad doesn't go on coasters anymore. PLUS he'd want to stay in LA for a few days to visit family. While my friend would have to get back home quickly to overbearing parents.)

All of this would not be a problem if I actually had a life ya know.

It is amazing though how some parks (namely Disney and Universal) have food that I almost crave when I think about going to the parks.....

Now there's a concept! This is what themeparks should be doing with the food. Talk about a great food experience, craving for it, you can't get any better than that! Now if they could pull that off then the prices might be justified. It just seems so wrong to serve crappy food for outrageous prices....seriously! Where I work, the food is slightly expensive but that's because it is always fresh and cooked to order, everytime by professional chefs. Now if we ran it like a themepark we would soon be closing our doors. I'm not saying they need professional chefs but there has got to be a way to improve the quality of the food they currently serve or are they of the mentality that its a themepark and they just assume the GP expects to pay through the nose for crappy food because they don't expect any better. Its really sad when the chain restaurants inside the park serve food that is worse than getting it at the same chain restaurant outside of the park, could it at least be close to the same quality?

I remember years ago on one of the coaster shows they were at MM and the food and beverage manager was boasting about the high quality of the food they served....yeah right!

Edited by Tmcdllr

All this talk of food..., yet when I go to MM and I eat the food I honestly don't care of price or taste or service. I just want to fuel myself for more coaster riding, because that's all that is really important to me at an amusement park.

As for other park chains offering better food options, can I have an example? It's a little strange to hear statements bashing one area's fast food to another area's similar fast food. Not trying to insult you guys but its fast food.

All this talk of food..., yet when I go to MM and I eat the food I honestly don't care of price or taste or service. I just want to fuel myself for more coaster riding, because that's all that is really important to me at an amusement park.

As for other park chains offering better food options, can I have an example? It's a little strange to hear statements bashing one area's fast food to another area's similar fast food. Not trying to insult you guys but its fast food.

Fast food doesn't have to be bad. IN n Out has some of the best burgers and decent fries that are made to order. Even jack in the box has decent food providing the location/staff. When you go to a park like Six Flags you at least want something comparable to that quality when your slapping down over 10 dollars for a full meal.

Were not asking for stuff like knobells, or Knotts. But some members here seem to of had food that's cooked totally wrong like dry sand paper quality chicken. (i'm sorry for making this line of discussion though. We mostly all know theme park food for stuff like six flags can be of low quality.)

How many times have we already had this discussion on food? Seriously.

For one thing, Cedar Fair parks gouge you even worse for the same off the shelf items you can buy from any food wholesaler. For another thing, comparing Six Flags to Disney and Universal is completely unfair, as they have completely different demographics to cater to, charge a lot more for admission, and serve a lot more guests. In other words: Disney and Universal can afford to have modern kitchens staffed by actual chefs.

As for the food at SFMM? I've never had an issue with it. It's not great, but it is edible and get the job done when I'm hungry. Which is all the majority of SFMM's guests care for (why do you think they haven't bothered to reopen the restaurant at the top of the hill? It's just not worth it.) Mooseburger is actually the one place I won't eat at, since at one point it was shut down by LA County health inspectors for roaches.

Edited by Jew

Greg serves a valid point though why pay In-N-Out prices for food that tastes worse then McDonalds

SFMM does not have In-N-Out prices, if they did I don't think anyone here would be complaining about food. $1.35 for fresh cut French Fries, $1.75 for a Hamburger, $2.05 for a Cheeseburger, $3.05 for a Double Double, $1.95 for a Shake, $1.25/$1.35/$1.55/$1.75 for a soda with free refills, In-N-Out is cheap! (and it tastes great too)

Mooseburger is actually the one place I won't eat at, since at one point it was shut down by LA County health inspectors for roaches.

How long ago was that? I remember seeing a "B" sign by the Mooseburger Lodge once back in 2004, but every other visit after that it had an "A". Since over 85% of LA County restaurants get an "A" grade, I wouldn't eat at the ones that don't.

Greg serves a valid point though why pay In-N-Out prices for food that tastes worse then McDonalds

SFMM does not have In-N-Out prices, if they did I don't think anyone here would be complaining about food. $1.35 for fresh cut French Fries, $1.75 for a Hamburger, $2.05 for a Cheeseburger, $3.05 for a Double Double, $1.95 for a Shake, $1.25/$1.35/$1.55/$1.75 for a soda with free refills, In-N-Out is cheap! (and it tastes great too)

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I know In-N-Out is cheap but it was written wrong. I was trying to state that In-N-Out is one of those you get what you pay for type of places. I usually end up paying $10 a meal there so I was saying "In-N-Out prices" because what you pay for a meal at In-N-Out you only get a burger at SFMM.

-Cookie

The first time I went to Magic Mountain I had some chicken strips and french fries from some food place that was either near Goliath or passing the Log Jammer flume ride, I don't remember. The strips were kind of dry, and the fries were decent. Ever since then I've only eaten the pizza combo meal by GL:FF and Batman. If I'm with a big group we usually eat at the food court by Gold Rusher, most of us get pizza since we all agree it's actually quite good.

When my family and I ate at Waterfront (across from Gold Rusher), we got the pizza family meal w/ season pass coupon & Discover card discount.

There was certainly enough food for all 8 of us (4 adults, 4 kids) between the big pizza, big salad, cheesebread and drinks. It cost about $30. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Heard no complaints from the kids who loved being able to dig into the huge pizza. Everyone was happy & filled up nicely (pizza, salad, cheesebread, soda for everyone) for less than $4/person. Not too shabby a deal there, especially in a theme park.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I know In-N-Out is cheap but it was written wrong. I was trying to state that In-N-Out is one of those you get what you pay for type of places. I usually end up paying $10 a meal there so I was saying "In-N-Out prices" because what you pay for a meal at In-N-Out you only get a burger at SFMM.

-Cookie

I don't know you end up spending $10 on a meal at In-N-Out I usually get a Double Meat (no cheese), order of fries, and a shake and its just slightly over $6.

How long are the 2011 season passes good for? Ive been looking all over and havent really gotten a solid answer? Is it good until the enod of 2011? or is it good for a year from the date you bought it?

December 31st, 2011.

They run by calendar year.

Thanks. Just need to get my moneys worth haha. Not so much with the season pass but with the parking pass.

Parking passes are a life saver because paying $15 for parking over and over really adds up. It's easier to pay the $50 or whatever it is up front!