TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I agree with a major ride refurb. Kind of like with Superman, it would be nice to bring attention toward coasters that don't get as much appreciation (viper, ninja, goldrusher, revolution, colossus). I've always been happy with what the park brings anyhow.

At WCB, I remember that there was this one kid around the right side of the theater who essentially suggested to make Goldrusher a Dark ride, with fire and such. It is unlikely though that an existing ride will be converted to a dark ride. If this were to happen, Log Jammer would be the most likely candidate, although the park is seriously in need of a dark ride now. Something new for DC Universe would work well. And, please SFMM, if you want to do a family ride around this time around, market it! (They did not air one single commercial that gave the slightest reference to RRE, although most of the people I know in SoCal say they have seen or heard at least one GL commercial!)

At WCB, I remember that there was this one kid around the right side of the theater who essentially suggested to make Goldrusher a Dark ride, with fire and such.

That kid was my hero! He suggested fire, fog, and audio effects for Gold Rusher, along with adding tunnels before the first lift hill. Tim said this is the attraction that is new for 2012, but don't expect it to open until 2013.

Edited by JJ728

I think everyone here is missing the proverbial boat(log jammers boat that is)...its been eight years since the park has added a parking lot coaster....thats where the next coaster will be going, out in the parking lot, next to Scream...shoot, maybe they can move Log Jammer out to the parking lot as well! Ahhh!

I'm interrupting the Log Jammer debate for a brief report as I was at the park today. Here are a few notes (I apologize if any of this is old news).

1. Rode Green Lantern: First Flight. I only waited about 30 minutes since I went there first thing, and the line seemed to hover around an hour and fifteen minutes (according to posted signs) for the rest of the day. Only got one flip, but it is still a very good ride and I highly recommend it. Don't underestimate it...the forces are quite strong.

2. Tatsu reopened today. It was listed as closed, but about five minutes before opening I noticed it was testing, and when I went over there a bit before noon the ride open. Didn't end up riding due to a 90+ minute wait all day, but in case anyone is wondering...it is open.

3. Apocalypse is still running only one train. Didn't ride due to the 2 hour wait. Also, for whatever reason, Deja Vu was running fine all day but Apocalypse seemed to be having issues. It opened late and didn't seem like it was sending the train that often, even when compared with other visits where one train was running.

4. Goliath was having issues all day, opening on and off throughout the day. Managed to get a ride with almost no wait due to timing.

5. Superman: Escape From Krypton was only running the left side. The line was over an hour all day, so I did not ride (but I did it several times at WCB).

6. Got the Road Runner Express credit. Good family coaster, and very good theming by Six Flags standards. However, the loading procedure causes the line to move very slowly, and the queue house is confusing.

7. The park was very crowded. The entire parking lot was full and they were using the dirt lots. There were also a lot of day camp kids. Maybe this is normal for the summer, but as I rarely visit in the summer I'm not sure.

8. Finally, X2 had audio on both trains that were running. It appears that the audio system isn't dead at all, and was just experiencing some glitches recently.

8. Finally, X2 had audio on both trains that were running. It appears that the audio system isn't dead at all, and was just experiencing some glitches recently.

AWESOME!! That's great news!

Reverting back to the Log Jammer discussion, why would they removed a 'themed' ride (nice station that fits well with surroundings, full-grown trees, a woodsy feel in the area, etc.), and leave Jet Stream with a dilapidated station that needs some serious attention?

Jet stream just seems like a better candidate if they were going to remove a water ride - it doesn't fit with the surroundings anymore (Psyclone Bay is pretty much gone, right?).

Re: Jet Stream

If the rumors are true (I have major doubts) and Log Jammer is being removed for some other type of ride, it actually is the more likely candidate. There are no other rides in that area to contend with during construction other than a couple portions of Gold Rusher. If you were to take out Jet Stream and put something else there you would have to close Ninja as well.

I just hope whatever they do, they keep the integrity of the area intact and not just plop something on top of the hill like they did with Tatsu.

I always try to appreciate every ride on Ninja now, because I fear it will not remain much longer. It seems Arrow suspendeds are being picked off one by one. Flight Deck at KI will proabably be next, to be followed by Ninja and Draggin' Iron. However, FD at CW is probably the savest American Arrow suspended, being one of the star attractions.

Just my theory. I can totally see Ninja's removal in the near future.

A few updates from my visit to the park yesterday (Wednesday, the 13th):

1. Tatsu is running again. Line was about 25-30 minutes at about 11 AM. Easily 75-90 minutes in the afternoon and evening.

2. Scream's ride ops were hauling ass in the early evening. I don't think I've ever seen any ride ops have the next train ready to dispatch 20-25 seconds before the train currently running is in the station.

3. X2's audio is somewhat working again. Train 1, Row 1 has no audio. Train 2, Row 7 has some audio. Train 2, Row 6 has full audio. I'm not sure which side(s) I was on for each ride, though. Lines were about 75-90 minutes for all 3 of my rides.

4. The park was very crowded. The whole entry plaza was full by about 10:20.

5. Green Lantern was fun, though a bit short for my liking. I enjoyed the positive/negative G-forces. I sprinted there as soon as the park opened and was on the 3rd train of the day. By the time I got off, the entire outside portion of the queue was full.

6. S:EFK had long, long waits the entire day. At one point, the line stretched out the Superman cave and out to the end of the S logo.

7. Deja Vu and Apocalypse were down near the beginning of the day, but opened soon after. Unsurprisingly, my friend got stuck on Deja Vu (but was quickly rescued).

8. Goliath experienced technical difficulties around 1 PM, where 2 trains (1 with people, another as a test run) got stuck on the MCBR.

9. SFMM seems to be more relaxed on the locker policies now. In the early morning (right after GL), Batman and Riddler's ops didn't mind us taking a backpack into the station. In fact, an employee at Batman told us we didn't have to use the lockers. The same exact thing happened at Scream. However, Tatsu, X2, and Goliath employees were stricter on the locker policy.

Maybe Apocalypse can get renamed again....rename it and theme it after "Carmaggedon"...you know, with it still having only one train, it feels like your waiting in traffic on the 405 freeway anywya.

I remember going in either 2009 or 2010, when the locker enforcement was strong, this last time I went almost two weeks back they were definitely more lenient about it on some rides as the last poster on the previous page mentioned.

Hello everybody, I just got back from a five day trip to Magic Mountain. It was the best trip of my life. Superman went from an average ride to one of my favorites, and Green Lantern was suprisingly fun. I had about 65 to 70 rides and it was a blast. My question was for the frequent visitors since I only go there once a year. Superman broke down right as my Dad and I would have been the next train twice. Tatsu was broken down until the very last day we were there and we only had one ride on it, and the last 2 days, Goliath only had one train going. Are ride breakdowns a frequent thing or did I just have terrible luck?

Maybe Apocalypse can get renamed again....rename it and theme it after "Carmaggedon"...you know, with it still having only one train, it feels like your waiting in traffic on the 405 freeway anywya.

Carmaggedon just got mentioned on the Colbert Report. Wow, so a whole weekend without the 405 LA area people are going to avoid going to SFMM, so it may be a good weekend for Santa Clarita locals to head to the park. It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like this weekend at the mountain.

Carmaggedon just got mentioned on the Colbert Report. Wow, so a whole weekend without the 405 LA area people are going to avoid going to SFMM, so it may be a good weekend for Santa Clarita locals to head to the park. It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like this weekend at the mountain.

I'm going tomorrow and Sunday and thinking it will be packed but I think I'll take your perspective and hopefully crowds won't be bad.

I cannot wait for my two days at the park. It's been a while since I've had a good coaster trip and it's going to feel great to get tossed around like a wrag doll for two days

If people are truly going to avoid going to all points south of "Carmageddon" and staying close to home, the park will be packed still. The Valley has over 1 million people. Add in all those from Santa Clarita, Palmdale/Lancaster and even Ventura County and I'm expecting the park to be just as busy if not busier than other weekends.

But you never know.

I am thinking of braving a trip to SFMM this Sunday. Usually I like to go Sundays and hit all the rides at opening before it gets full, then I wait around and go on the usual walk-on rides until mid afternoon when X2's line dies down. Anyways, I have a couple freeway questions.

I live in Orange County, so I usually just take the 5 north all the way to SFMM. With the closure of the 405, I am thinking most people trying to get around that will take side streets through Hollywood or stretch all the way east via the 101 to the 110, then back to the 10 west to continue on the 405. Or the 5 to the 170 all the way around to the 110/10 back to the 405. (Is this even making sense?) Sundays usually have very minimal traffic on the 5 (which is why I often go Sundays).

Does anyone think the drive on the 5 will be heavily affected enough to the point where I wouldn't want to make the trip to SFMM?

I'm sure it will be affected but I don't think it will be too bad. It shouldn't be any worse than a week day commute to the park for you. But that's just my opinion. Personally I think this "carmageddon" crap is blown out of proportion by the media. Wait the media blow something out of proportion?? NOOO!!!!

I'm sure it will be affected but I don't think it will be too bad. It shouldn't be any worse than a week day commute to the park for you. But that's just my opinion. Personally I think this "carmageddon" crap is blown out of proportion by the media. Wait the media blow something out of proportion?? NOOO!!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been checking the traffic today and it seems like the only reason the 5 is slowing in certain places is because there is an accident. I think the media was just over-hyping this, and consequently many people have stayed home this weekend.

Hello everybody, I just got back from a five day trip to Magic Mountain. It was the best trip of my life. Superman went from an average ride to one of my favorites, and Green Lantern was suprisingly fun. I had about 65 to 70 rides and it was a blast. My question was for the frequent visitors since I only go there once a year. Superman broke down right as my Dad and I would have been the next train twice. Tatsu was broken down until the very last day we were there and we only had one ride on it, and the last 2 days, Goliath only had one train going. Are ride breakdowns a frequent thing or did I just have terrible luck?

It seems that trips like yours are becoming more frequent. Hopefully things will get better. By the way, were you there on a Tuesday? Just wondering how busy it was. Thinking of getting a gold pass.