TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don' t think that the park will ever really bee on a Busch Gardens level, but Six Flags can really bring this park to it's highest potential.

I don't know what they should do to Scream! but they need to do something because the name, the themeing (or no themeing) and the colors don't help this ride at all.

But, I think that they need to also really focus on getting Revolution back off the ground.

^All in good time, I'm sure.

Yeah Scream has its headeaches, but for now its fine, like X, it doesn't need theming, the ride speaks for itself.

But if anything goes down in a season or two to facelift the ride, I wouldn't see more happening than a new entrance plaza and grass beneath the ride instead of parking lot, if that.

I'm just glad they finally realised that X is the marquee attraction at the park and are giving it some major league loving, so many people I know who aren't enthusiasts say X is the their main draw (even after Tatsu) and are really disappointed when it isn't open.

I have also watch the park drop out of the picture tourism wise - the LA Qantas holidays catalogue just stopped listing tours to magic mountain years ago while Knott's, Disney, Universal, San Diego Parks and Legoland are all still there.

I'll second not believing it's been 5 years already since Scream! opened. :sniff: It was so smooth then....

All the X2 progress is interesting, I'll be in LA in April for Coachella but I doubt it'll be open then.... maybe I can make it out again later this year (this is all assuming I find a job NOW).

Has anyone been on Viper since it reopened? Did all that brake work help, or what?

...I'll stop ranting.

-Amanda "I miss SFMM already" V.

^ I would like to know the status of Viper as well. It is one of my favorite...

As much as people complain about the theming (or lack thereof) of Scream, I actually do not find it all that bad. I mean, ask yourself honestly - what will grass (instead of asphault) do for the ride? IMHO absolutely nothing. It may even take away the slight... underdog?... appeal of the coaster.

I really think there are 2 reasons why you would want to theme a coster that is any larger than kiddie size. First, theme the Queue, station, and paths leading up to the coaster. This builds excitement, and anticipation for the ride. Secondly, if you so choose to theme anything beyond that, it would be for the aesthetics of the guests looking on the coaster. Honestly, while you are on the ride, almost all of the theming will be lost while you are going through the course at 50+ mph, and flipping head over heels. MM does not have the layout and setup on hardly any coasters to do that. Colossus, and Scream are about the only 2 that come to mind - theme them for people who are coming up from the parking lot. X, as someone said, is a marquee attraction, and I think that most theming would just detract from the ride.... For everythig else, MM really does not have that one midway coaster that they could drop great theming on. OK - Ill give you Tatsu, but due to the location and nature of the ride, it would be extremely difficult to theme it beyond simple shrubbery and plants....

Well anyway, that is my thoughts on the subject. I only wish that X2 would be open for WCB... Ohh well, next time...

The whole park is a main draw for me. I've long to visit SFMM someday,

I would ride everything apart from "XI" and "Superman". They are not my type of coasters.

Any coaster can be themed, even "Beast" if KI wanted to. Heidi Park is a good example of theming the front of the park and not the rear.

My last ride on Viper (October 2006) was surprisingly smooth. (For some reason, I think it was the yellow-striped train.) I was taken by surprise on that ride because previous ones made me think twice about ever getting on it again.

Glad to hear it's running decently now. Maybe I'll try it at WCB if I go.

Eric

New paint doesn't really effect how well the ride feels, a lot of that has to do with the gap between the rails and the wheels.

The ride has never seemed to have potholes to me, if the ride was going on straight track it was smooth anyway. The roughest parts of the ride, IMO, are the quick direction changes caused by crappy wheel to rail design (which is very similar to Gold Rusher except you're going about twice as fast) and badly designed track sections.

For example, the quick left turn at the top of the drop (which I love but can be rough), after the first loop to the turnaround (a hard yank to the left) and after the brake run all the way to the double corkscrews (a bunch of design flaws which after 15 years of use, definitely become worse).

These are things a coat of paint is definitely not going to improve.

New paint doesn't really effect how well the ride feels, a lot of that has to do with the gap between the rails and the wheels.

Dude. She was kidding. She was referencing the joke from the update.

Although, "technically" the ride is now smoother because of the paint job because during that time they were painting they did go back and rehab the trains which will result is a smoother ride.

--Robb

^^^Wow dude you were WAY off!

But when 2 people above me don't get the joke (as I read the update and didn't get it either), I kinda assume it wasn't.

Its cool! Chill pill!

Wait, so is the ride better? Rehabbed trains or not, I doubt it.

Oh, you got a many pictures of aroound the Magic Mountain. Look good so I have a many pictures too. My scanner is broken down so I will get new one and I will load my picture to thread soon.

I love the Superman the Escape, Riddler's Revenge, Scream! and Viper.

My favorite the Colossus, Revolution, Ninja, Goliath and Batman the Ride.

My best favorite one was Deja Vu, X and Tatsu that is so scared of fun.

I remember that I rode Shockwave at SFMM in 1987 that is cool when I was 7 year old because shockwave is gone just now is at Darien Lake as Batman the Escape was formely Six Flags Astroworld. they're not build up and I can have a piece of the track from Batman the Escape so probably I will cut the metal off the Batman track ring and I can keep it because you already got piece of the flashback track from prize trip to SFMM with TPR and I missed it.

They should've just went with a classic enclosed tunnel. Those will just let sunlight into the tunnel which would cause people not being able to see the special effects inside.

It does look cool, but I don't think something like that should be built on a coaster like X. Kinda looks out of place.

Yeah until SFMM bans the LA Times like they've done with TV Stations in the past that go against the parks wishes.

How much more of a bone do you need? The park and us have posted tons of stuff, you knew there were going to be tunnels, etc.

I don't really care how early we get thrown the information, we'll all see the tunnels eventually.

And as "conceptual" as the tunnels look, I think they're horrible.

Besides not lasting for more than a year or so, its going to feel like you're going through a tent. Unless its dark and enclosed, I don't see the point.