Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

P. 45: The beginning of a waterpark in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:56 pm

I went to Canobie Lake Park yesterday, and it was great! It's a nearly perfect old-school park. The scenery was really nice, there were plenty of trees and flowers, and they even have some actual solid theming in places! The architecture and coaster stations are really wonderful. The seafood in the Boston-themed area was really good actually, especially for an amusement park. The only things the park needs to improve on is the slow operations, and I think they could use one more high-capacity coaster that really stands out. Overall it's just a nice park that has a lot of nice details and is a lot of fun to just walk through. Rides:

Yankee Cannonball x 2 - Both of my rides were in the back row, and I was quite impressed. It's nothing too intense, but it's super smooth while having an old wooden coaster feel, thanks to the great trains. I got eight moments of great floater airtime on both rides, with the ones on the first drop and second-to-last hill being especially strong.
Starblaster
Psychodrome - Love these indoor scramblers!
Caterpillar - Not intense, but really strange and almost feels homemade.
Untamed - I knew some of the transitions in the turns would be rough, and I braced for them the best I could, but they really ruined the ride. The first half is great and almost as good as Hydrus, but the rest of the ride causes a headache. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Mystery Mine, which is considered to be a rougher eurofighter. At least the theme is great.
Turkish Twist - So happy I got to experience such a rare ride. A little freaky!
Corkscrew - A 42-year-old Arrow that runs smoother than a 6-year-old Gerstlauer! I was in the back row so the drop was great, the corkscrews are wonderful, and the transition going into the corkscrews was the only really bad part.
Policy Pond Log Flume - Wonderful log flume. The terrain interaction and location is nice, there's a good mix of slow and fast/bumpy sections, and the drops give a perfect amount of wetness.
Mine of Lost Souls - I love weird dark rides like this.
Zero Gravity - The arm goes to a really steep angle, and is one of the better round-ups I've been on.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Glad you had a great time at Canobie!

Going 2 for 2 on the back row of the Cannonball? You're lucky! The ride used to have more air but the recent retracking by GCI took some away. However the ride still runs incredibly smooth as you saw.

Untamed can be quite brutal on that cutback and the transition into the helix. I have to lean forward to avoid any pain. I just wish it had the lap bars like Hydrus.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Great news! Canobie received conditional approval to move forward with Tidal River, an addition that'll include a wave pool, lazy river, and slides to give them a water park. Up to this point, they have just had Castaway Island, one of those water play areas.

This is an excellent fit for the park. On most summer days, Castaway Island is swarmed and filled to capacity. The structure has served the park well for 14-15 years but it was apparent the park needed something else to compliment it. The addition of a small wave pool, lazy river, and some larger slides gives the park a small, but legitimate water park.

The one thing Canobie really lacked compared to the other competing New England parks like Six Flags, Lake Compounce, and Funtown has been a water park. Honestly this addition looks like what Quassy did and it has worked wonders for that park. Quassy used to just have a water play area (a smaller one too) but they slowly built up a small water park.

I had a hunch the park would be going the water park route. When I saw them reroute the train loop and clear the land adjacent to Castaway Island, that was the perfect spot for a water park. Then there were also some rumors of sewer work going on in the background at the park. And lastly with the river rapids ride being cancelled last year, I knew they must have had some money available for a larger addition.

I'll definitely check it out when it opens (doesn't say 2018 in the article), but I don't see myself using it that often. I will pick rides over water slides 95 times out of 100. But it will help draw crowds away from the ride area and it filled a true need.

In other good news, Canobie opened a new for 2017 flying bobs ride a few weeks ago called Ice Jet and was recently able to reopen the Xtreme Frisbee after it had been down for a year.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 am.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 pm

^I'm not interested, but that sounds perfect for the park. I'm happy about the Ice Jet addition, too.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 am

The most encouraging thing for me is the capacity. If it draws some people off the rides, that's going to be a win for me.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 am

This is an amazing addition! It looks absolutely gorgeous!

Here's some more info on where its gonna go and what it looks like.

http://www.townofsalemnh.org/planning-board/pages/view-plans-for-the-october-24-2017-meeting
Yankee Cannonball <3

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:53 am

Looking at those plans, I wonder if there's any way they could complete a path to get the Timber Splash slides connected somehow. Those would fit in extremely well with the water park.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

Great addition!

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 pm

^^I don't recall riding Timber Splash, but I always really like when water slides like that are in dry parks!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I stopped in tonight. I plan to post a TR sometime in the next week, but a quick summary.

Ice Jet is a solid addition. It looks very much like a carnival ride, which is a weird contrast to the Carousel next door, but it sure looks a lot better than not having a ride there. It definitely wasn't as intense as the old Matterhorn (nothing except one on the German fair circuit is) and ended up being about middle-of-the-pack for a flying bobs type ride. It did run both forwards and backwards. Also it's nice that they don't play music since you can still hear the carousel's band organ loud and clear.

I tried 2 of the 5 haunts. The ride lines maxed out at about 15-20 minutes, but each haunt had at least a half hour wait. I heard the best two were Carnivus and the Culling, so those were the two I did. The Culling took place in a very misty corn field and added a bunch of lasers. I wouldn't say it was particularly scary, but it was a decent walkthrough and some of the optical effects were well done (like the employees diving in and out of the fog).

Carnivus was excellent. It was themed as an abandoned carnival so naturally I liked the theme. It's pretty spooky walking through a lifeless midway with no carnies aggressively trying to steal your cash, but that quietness was quickly ruined by scare actors jumping out. This maze had a lot of crevices for the scare actors to pop out from and they took every opportunity. The ending of the maze includes a mirror maze (I wonder if that's where Tiki Maze went...) and then a vertigo/spinning tunnel.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!