First time Germany trip... Tips?

Car travel, must-do parks?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
I own the website www.donkey.com

First time Germany trip... Tips?

Postby Invertalon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 am

We are planning a trip to Germany next May-ish for about 10-14 days. Of course on the itinerary is Europa, Holiday Park, Phantasialand & Heide Park for now at least. Will actually be our first international trip (outside of Canada... Which hardly counts).

We will be renting a car for this trip. Likely also be driving all over Germany as we are also hitting up a lot of the breweries as well... So because of all we want to do, what parks are must go-to's and which could be skipped if need be? Europa and Phantasialand I assume are must-do's... And with Expedition GeForce on my coaster "bucket list" I am sure we will be going to Holiday Park. Any other places we should look into?

My main question for now... How is it to just drive everywhere? Will we have much issue? Most people recommend taking bus/train everywhere, but that is what is also said about going to places like San Francisco, LAX, Boston, etc... When you look online, yet we had no issues at all driving in those cities.

Just in the rough planning stage for now, so looking for any input/tips/suggestions you can spare.

Thanks!
-Steve

Site Admin

Re: First time Germany trip... Tips?

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 am

Driving in Germany is fine. I much prefer it to using public transport, at least for the majority of places you'll be going. The road and motorway system is very similar to our interstate system. Off the top of my head I would consider adding Hansa Park in northern Germany as it's a pretty cool park. Also, I don't know if you're dead set in staying in Germany, but very close by you'll find Toverland, Walibi World, etc.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Driving in Germany is not an issue at all, you'll be fine. I can also second what Elissa said about considering adding Hansa Park to your list if you're in that area. I visited the park for the first time a couple of weeks ago (full trip report coming out very soon), and I had a great time. It's only about an hour and a half from Heide Park.

I rummage through Intamin's garbage

Location: Switzerland, 5 miles away from Intamin's main location

Postby K1ngdaKa88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:47 am

Like you two said, driving shouldn´t be such a problem in germany. If you want to you can also take the train in Germany, but their pricing system is quite confusing, so in the end it would probably be cheaper by car.
I would try to hit Efteling in the netherlands as well, next to Toverland and Walibi Holland.
And May should be a pretty good time to visit those parks, since almost everywhere there aren´t any school holidays. But keep an eye open on the opening times, some parks stay closed during weekdays. And be careful with one-day-holidays like Christi Himmelfahrt (Th 05/10/2018) and the day between this day and the weekend, because on those days almost every german park is crowded like hell!
I wish you a great trip next year ;)
Count: 137 (128 Steel & 9 Wood) 25 Parks
Steel: 1. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park) 2. Shambhala (Port Aventura) 3. Taron (Phantasialand) 4. Kärnan (Hansa Park)
Woodies: 1. White Lightning (Fun Spot) 2. Colossos (Heide Park) 3. El Toro (Freizeitpark Plohn)
Sorry if my English isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!
Youtube Channel

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Invertalon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:21 am

K1ngdaKa88 wrote:Like you two said, driving shouldn´t be such a problem in germany. If you want to you can also take the train in Germany, but their pricing system is quite confusing, so in the end it would probably be cheaper by car.
I would try to hit Efteling in the netherlands as well, next to Toverland and Walibi Holland.
And May should be a pretty good time to visit those parks, since almost everywhere there aren´t any school holidays. But keep an eye open on the opening times, some parks stay closed during weekdays. And be careful with one-day-holidays like Christi Himmelfahrt (Th 05/10/2018) and the day between this day and the weekend, because on those days almost every german park is crowded like hell!
I wish you a great trip next year ;)

Appreciate all the information so far everyone!

I was just looking at a map and wondering about Efteling and Toverland/Walibi... We will have to prioritize some places over others, as we won't have all the time to do every park with our other plans in place, but as of right now...

For sure:
Europa
Phantasialand
Holiday Park

The "maybes":
Movie Park
Toverland
Walibi
Efteling
Hansa Park
Heide Park

At this time, I think we may skip on the northern-most parks like Heide Park and Hansa Park due to time. But that is still subject to change, of course.

We will be getting a car for sure... But in cases it makes sense to do train instead we can always do that. But I would prefer to drive and enjoy all the sights. We will for sure at least get one train ride to/from the Czech Republic for a day. So we will get that "experience" lol
-Steve

Where Will My Camera of Doom Next Strike!?!

Postby CreativeForce » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

The big thing I would suggest is to spend at least 2 days at Europa. It's a huge park and definitely not a park you want to rush through. Plus they have some amazing hotels with great bars! Last year we spent 3 days there and that felt about right.
"If I am great, it's because I stand on the shoulders of Giants" - Albert Einstein
Me, I'm still standing on the apple box of mediocrity. :P

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm

CreativeForce wrote:The big thing I would suggest is to spend at least 2 days at Europa. It's a huge park and definitely not a park you want to rush through. Plus they have some amazing hotels with great bars! Last year we spent 3 days there and that felt about right.

Quoted for truth and consideration. Have fun! Germany is probably one of the best places for theme parks. And the beer and pretzels are awesome.

Return to Ask Alvey