More exotic animals along with educational signage

More games and entertainment

2 more cafe/eateries to expand our tasty and inexpensive menu

2 new private birthday party rooms- be sure to book early

Over 50 redemption games to win lots and lots of great prizes

The picnic groves with shelters will re-open this May for group picnics

http://www.azoosmentpark.com/

More photos(don't know how I missed them from the last post):

The slide from when the park first opened. When I visited not long before the park closed, this was in really bad shape, don't know if it was in use, and it looked like the "how many splinters would you get in your ass" slide from the Nara Dreamland video.

The Whip from Kiddieland

Azoosment Park's Facebook Page

The park is improving, it's already looking better than when it closed, and hopefully the new owners are able to turn the park into something it used to be. With the old Santa's Village and Kiddieland rides to start, hopefully the owners continue to expand the ride selection in the coming years. While I doubt any major coaster like Typhoon will ever be built again, I can see a small kiddie coaster and maybe a family coaster being added down the line. Although, there seems to be an abundance of asphalt in some areas, so hopefully that is fixed too.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

The Azoosment Park has listed the new for 2011 rides, and one of them will be a new coaster. Granted it will just be a children's coaster, but it's great to see the park growing.

Rides

Dragon Coaster- A great beginner coaster for the kids. Moms and Dads can ride along

Sea Dragon- a classic large boat ride. Will be ready during the season. Watch for its opening date.

Kiddie Ferris Wheel and Kiddie Swings

Tilt-a-whirl- A classic

Balloon Race- An original Santa's Village ride brought back to life. Take a short hot air balloon ride with a great view of the park.

Animal Attractions

Deer Feeding area- come hand feed the tame deer.

Santas sleigh- No Snow- No problem come for a sleigh ride pulled by horses

Shows

3 live shows daily at the Evergreen Theatre incl:

Magic show

Kids game show- win santas village bucks to spend at the park

Exotic animal educational show

Animal show- fun stunts performed by our animal entertainers

Other Cool Stuff

Birthday party rooms- have a private party room. Check our party packages for options

Redemption area- over 50 great games to win prizes.

Gingerbread House- Full menu of great food.

Hoffbrau House- Serving brats, dogs, beer, wine and more

Picnic Groves- Sorry no outside food or beverages allowed, but grab some lunch and head to the groves for a relaxing shaded atmosphere for a nice family lunch.

Link

• 2 months later...

The dragon coaster is not the one that used to be there. The old one was powered, and was moved to an indoor FEC in Minnesota which has since closed. The new dragon coaster probably came from one of the closed Dinorex locations as the layout and trains match.

• 4 months later...

Bump.

The park is starting to release info on 2012. The park has plans to reopen the water park, so I don't know if the posts the park has made on Facebook are related to that or something new entirely.

I am in Orlando with some of our staff at the Amusement Park Assoc. Convention. We are working hard to bring our customers more of what they are looking for. Its still a long road ahead for this park but we have many positive plans coming in the future- both near and distant. We cant wait to fill all of our fans and customers in.

We are currently working on adding a few rides for 2012 plus other attraction. The carousel from kiddieland is owned by the same gentleman that the kiddie whip and midge-o-racers came from. We are striving to add rides and attractions that are very family oriented- good for the whole family to enjoy together at the same time. Stay tuned for more info as we enter into 2012 we will provide more info and pics of the progress we will be making. Thanks everyone.

Completed the transaction here in Orlando on 1 of the new added attractions- more to come. Keep an eye on us.

The ride is being delivered the 1st full week in January. We hope to begin the ground work prior to a solid frost. Great family ride!!! More to come on that ride soon

Teaser image

Facebook

• 2 months later...

IAAPA has a nice article about the park.

It is a rare occurrence when an amusement park gets a second chance. In most cases, when a park closes, it is stripped of its assets, the property is redeveloped, and it only lives on in memories. But Santa's Village in East Dundee, Illinois, had a different ending.

After entertaining 20 million customers since it debuted in 1959, Santa's Village failed to open for the 2006 season, succumbing to a string of unpaid rent, tax, and utility bills and a failed effort to sell the business. But as the park's rides and attractions were being removed following the October 2006 auction, a different scenario was emerging.

While the business, North Pole Inc., was liquidated, the property and its permanent assets—buildings, parking, and utilities—were still intact, being owned by a separate entity—Sterling Bay Companies. Sterling Bay acquired the real estate the park sat on in November 2004. At the time of the acquisition, many thought the property would be redeveloped once the lease with North Pole Inc. expired in 2008 given Sterling Bay's portfolio of office and retail properties. But Sterling Bay principal Scott Goodman was open-minded. "We liked the property but had no specific plan. We saw it as a good investment no matter what the use."

A Slow Road Back

For the next couple of years, the 40-acre property sat idle as Sterling Bay tried to develop a strategy for reuse. A mixed-use commercial development was considered, as was reopening the park. The company even went so far as to go to a few industry-related shows to seek out operators.

Some interim uses such as rodeos, a weekend flea market, a carnival, and indoor soccer events brought some life to the property. Paintball Explosion signed a lease to operate a paintball course on one third of the property and use the arena as an air soft range. But Sterling Bay was looking for more permanent uses.

By early 2010 Jason Sierpien, owner of A-Zoo-To-You, a mobile petting zoo based in Marengo, Illinois, saw an opportunity to open a petting zoo on part of the old amusement park. Sierpien had a long history with Santa's Village, working at its petting zoo as a teen. In 2005, which turned out to be the park's final season, his business was hired to operate the animal attractions at Santa's Village. A study conducted that final season by Baker Leisure on behalf of Sterling Bay indicated Sierpien's operations generated the most positive feedback among the park's offerings.

Sierpien had been monitoring the situation at the shuttered facility and, as a result, he and his wife, Amy, approached Sterling Bay in April 2010 about turning a 7-acre portion of the property into a small operation focused on animals, with about a half dozen kiddie rides.

Goodman saw an opportunity to do something much larger. He recalls his reaction to Sierpien's proposal: "Sure, as long as you open a whole amusement park." The result was a partnership between the Sierpiens and Goodman to bring an amusement park back to Santa's Village.

Crews spent two weeks clearing brush from the land before renovations could begin. A soft opening in fall 2010 featured a petting zoo, animal show, aviary, one food stand, and kiddie rides. With the focus on animals, the park, occupying roughly one-third of the 40-acre property, reopened under the name Santa's Village AZoosment Park.

Don Holliman, who worked at the original Santa's Village from 1968 to 2003, was brought back as general manager. "He's teaching us how to get it done," says Sierpien.

New and Bigger Attractions

With a full offseason to work on the park, the partners launched a more aggressive expansion for 2011 that included the installation of seven new rides and 100 more animals, bringing the total to 300. The picnic grove was also reopened.

In building out AZoosement Park, nostalgia plays a critical role, but Sierpien will make sure it has its own identity. Original attractions like "Santa's Slide" and the frozen "North Pole" have been restored, while Phil Wenz, the park's longtime Santa, returns for occasional appearances. But live entertainment and animals play a much larger role than in the original attraction; they range from goats and reindeer to wallabies and zebu.

With the attractions in place, a new challenge emerged: getting the word out to customers. "It was big news when it closed." The park undertook an aggressive marketing campaign to announce the park's reopening. In addition to television and radio, the park has a presence at children's expos and park district shows.

Growth Ahead

According to Goodman, the 2011 season started off slowly but the park really hit its stride later in the season, with 75 percent of its visitors coming out after Aug. 1. Sierpien put attendance at the end of September at 80,000 with the weekend Harvest Festival in October remaining. More important, the partners are very pleased with the reception in the marketplace. "We have a tremendous base going into next year," states Goodman.

Growth will continue in 2012 with two to four additional rides, a redemption area, and new shows.

In 2013 plans call for reviving the waterpark, which opened as a separate gate in 1983 and closed with the rest of the facility in 2005. According to Sierpien, they do not envision a traditional waterpark but rather an action park combining waterplay elements with participatory attractions such as go-karts.

Sierpien anticipates attendance eventually growing to 300,000, comparable to that of the old facility, a process he feels will take two to three years.

In just the short time they have been working together, both Goodman and Sierpien feel they have gotten off to a great start reviving a Chicago institution and filling a critical gap in the marketplace. "We have some pretty good momentum," says Sierpien. 

Jim Futrell is an industry historian and writer. He can be reached at thefutrells@comcast.net.

Link

The owners seem like they know what they are doing, and their plans sound very reasonable. I did a project on this park back in 2004, and Phil Wenz told me that attendance peaked at around 500000 in the early 90s before falling to the then current amount of 100-150000 I believe. So, attendance of 300000 is very reasonable assuming they keep up the quality of the park.

Airtime-Now if only they'll build a wooden warrior clone-&Gravity

Hey guys! I have a little secret to fill you in on. I'm actually part of the rides department at Santas Village Azoosment Park. And I promise we do have some fun stuff for 2012. I won't spoil it all yet though.

^believe me we would LOVE a wooden warrior clone! Alot of little stuff to take care of first at this park to get it really going though. But maybe!

As for one of our new rides I'll give one hint. Cedar point has a lot of these, Chicago area now has none. Well not untill 2012 anyways...

Racing Rapids was certainly past it's prime by then. What are your suggestions.

Something similar to Cowabunga Bay might do well. I never went to Racing Rapids, but from what I saw of it from my trips to the park or driving by it(from the little you can see from the road), it looked really depressing. Cowabunga Bay has a giant play structure, lazy river, and an activity pool. Simple, but it looks great.

Cowabunga Bay's Page in the Park Index

Cowabunga Bay - Photo by Big Mike

• 9 months later...

Thread Revival!!!! Let's See what Lance has heard:

2013 - New Coaster and More - (12/7/12) The park also has a little good news to share… they will be adding a new roller coaster for the 2013 season as well as new animal exhibits, one of which will be include camels. I’ve also heard some rumors indicating that the park may add a new flat ride or two if possible in 2013.

2014 - New Attraction - Rumor - (12/7/12) Rumor has it that Azoosment Park at Santa’s Village is looking very seriously at adding a new dark ride for the 2014 season, depending on how well things go for them in 2013.

If they can add a major-ish coaster, a flat ride, and reopen Racing Rapids; I might go there in 2013.

PLEASE say Typhoon will be gone...That ride sucked.

Yes, Typhoon probably won't be around. It has recently been sold on Ital International's website. However, I don't know who it was sold to...

Ever so slightly late to respond, but Typhoon was sold to RCS shows and is now up for sale again. I can only recall RCS using the ride once at the LA County fair.

Back to the current topic of discussion...

Good to see the park coming back to life. When I visited on the TPR "7 parks in one day" journey, the park was VERY rundown.

^I am happy to say that the park is in a MUCH better state than where it was during that trip, and will only continue to get better.

Now on to the news at hand, 2013 is going to be a very exciting year, giving everyone here a good reason to visit.

A NEW CREDIT!

Now I don't want to give too much away, but I will say this. We scored a pretty sweet deal on craigslist on a gently used Miler from New Jeresey, only slight water damage!

Time to search RCDB for recently closed rides from parks closer than New Jersey.

We have:

Wildcat - Cedar Point

Dragon Coaster - Noah's Ark

X-Coaster - Magic Springs

Mild Thing - Valleyfair

Galaxi, Mouse Coaster, and Orient Express from Riverview

Zyklon or Afterburner - Funspot

...and more, but I'm lazy. Plus, "a lot closer" is a relative. For instance, due to traffic, Central Pennsylvania is a lot closer than New Jersey.

No matter what, I'm sure it will be a great addition to the park. There are a lot of options available, and almost all of them would do well in a park like Santa's Village. It has been great to see the park come pack, and attract decent crowds. I remember going by the park in the early 2000s and seeing only a handful of cars in the parking lot. Although, there can't be much space left, unless you use the Racing Rapids site or parking lot, or if you start expanding out into the forested area in the back of the park.(or is that all part of McGraw's?)

We actually ran into these guys at IAAPA and they shared the coaster news with us...didn't want to plaster it all over the internet just yet though!

Hopefully they'll keep turning the park around and making it better. With the loss of Kiddieland in Chicago, the city may be able to support something like this.

Time to search RCDB for recently closed rides from parks closer than New Jersey.

We have:

Wildcat - Cedar Point

Dragon Coaster - Noah's Ark

X-Coaster - Magic Springs

Mild Thing - Valleyfair

Galaxi, Mouse Coaster, and Orient Express from Riverview

Zyklon or Afterburner - Funspot

...and more, but I'm lazy. Plus, "a lot closer" is a relative. For instance, due to traffic, Central Pennsylvania is a lot closer than New Jersey.

No matter what, I'm sure it will be a great addition to the park. There are a lot of options available, and almost all of them would do well in a park like Santa's Village. It has been great to see the park come pack, and attract decent crowds. I remember going by the park in the early 2000s and seeing only a handful of cars in the parking lot. Although, there can't be much space left, unless you use the Racing Rapids site or parking lot, or if you start expanding out into the forested area in the back of the park.(or is that all part of McGraw's?)

Well done! Not only did you name our new ride in that list, but a couple of rides we were looking into. (I won't totally spill the beans yet though)

As far as space left to expand, the direction we are currently heading in is through the old picnic grove and towards the old pond and racing rapids. If it weren't for the neighbors (Paintball explosion) using the other half of Santa's Village property, we would have plenty of room to expand in that direction.

As for the wooded area directly behind the property you are correct, that is mostly McGraws (I'm impressed you knew this) Every time I see the wooded area though I cant help but picture a nice little terrain woodie rolling through there....

We actually ran into these guys at IAAPA and they shared the coaster news with us...didn't want to plaster it all over the internet just yet though!

Hopefully they'll keep turning the park around and making it better. With the loss of Kiddieland in Chicago, the city may be able to support something like this.

Oh how i miss IAAPA already! It was wonderful running into you, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness. The loss of Kiddieland was really sad but it definitely left a void in the Chicagoland area that we hope to fill.

Coaster construction pics will be up by the end of the week, by then it should be a fairly easy guess. To those of you unfortunate enough (or maybe fortunate to have survived) to have ridden our last coaster, I do promise that the new coaster will be better than the Typhoon!