Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 21: Amalie arena
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Postby Jew » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:45 am

It's alive! This thread is making a return...only two months after I actually visited the venues! Hopefully I'll be sober enough at one of the remaining games to document a USC game @ the Coliseum, finally go back to the freshly re-modeled Pauley Pavilion, and maybe even the northern california arenas this season.

But anyways...

USC played a game @ MetLife field against Syracuse, so naturally I had an excuse to visit NYC for the first time. Dan and I flew into LaGuardia, which just happens to be a short cab ride away from CitiField...So far this is the least favorite of the newer stadiums I've been to. It's not horrible by any means, but it just really lacks the charm of other stadiums. It feels like they just threw in every modern amenity for revenue purposes and didn't really do anything besides the rotunda entrance to distinguish itself from any of the other stadiums out there.
CitiField1.jpg
Welcome to CitiField. Here is the famous rotunda modeled after Ebbets Field (go Dodgers!)
CitiField2.jpg
Here's the inside of said rotunda. As I said, probably the most unique part of the stadium.
CitiField3.jpg
Random concourse photo. See? Nothing exciting!
CitiField4.jpg
Obligatory stadium feature #1: kids play area
CitiField11.jpg
Obligatory stadium feature #2: fancy club area (this is the Delta 360 skyclub)
CitiField9.jpg
Obligatory stadium feature #3: fancy full service restaurant in the club area
CitiField5.jpg
Finally something not found everywhere else: old school baseball card posters above the snack stands of famous mets.
CitiField7.jpg
Back to your regularly scheduled obligatory features: Dan and I sat in the champions club section, an all you can eat club area. Here's the bar area.
CitiField6.jpg
...And here's the buffet for all you ACEr's out there. It was pretty good. Fresh cut turkey sandwiches, some fresh sides, bacon wrapped hot dogs, unlimited soda, and ice cream for dessert.
CitiField8.jpg
...And the view from our face value $150 tickets.
CitiField10.jpg
View from the outfield.
CitiField12.jpg
OK, it's not all bad. This neon sign was cool. And Shake Shake makes any stadium better.
CitiField13.jpg
I leave you with the world famous backside of the scoreboard!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 am

Looks like a pretty decent stadium, but I get what you are saying about it lacking some of the "charm" of other modern facilities. Still looks pretty nice, nice enough for the Mets I guess.

I've never done one of those "club level" experiences for any sport with the food and drinks inclusive but really want to one of these days. I can probably find some cheap club level tickets for the Jaguars here in a few weeks, might have to give it a try :br .

Postby jray21 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 am

Looks like a nice ballpark. I like how they use stanchions in some lines. I hate it when the lines are a free for all and you have fight everyone likes it's a coaster line in Italy.

Postby Jew » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:26 pm

^^I used to be against the idea, as I preferred the true fan experience. But then I actually went to one and was absolutely spoiled. Just the convienence alone of not having to wait in lines to buy food is worth it. But then you add in the fact it is usually gourmet food AND you can get in-seat waiter service and it is even better. Some stadiums (such at PETCO Park) even include the booze!

Postby Jew » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:46 am

So the real reason I came to NYC...USC vs. Syracuse! And Metlife field! Which is incredibly bland, but full off all the modern amenities teams need to make a fortune. It's pretty clear they went with function over style, since it had to serve both NY teams. Sight lines are good all around, you can get to it by train (or in our case bus, since so few people came to the game they didn't even run the line), and it's got plenty of bathrooms and food options. But it's basically the modern day equivalent of the cookie cutter stadiums of the 70s.

Now onto the photos...
Metlife1.jpg
This is what all the entrances look like. Nothing exciting. It is lined with LED's to match the color of the home team at night.
Metlife2.jpg
The parking lot is home to the currently mothballed, but maybe not for much longer amusement park/indoor skiing/mall/whatever complex known as Xanadu
Metlife3.jpg
This is what the concourses look like. Again, left as plain as possible to be decorated for the home team.
Metlife8.jpg
The view from our seats. Notice more Cardinal than Orange for a Syracuse "home" game. We purposely got tickets in the coaches club section...
Metlife4.jpg
...So we could check out the club. This one is the NY Jets one. Usually its a buffet, but for lowly Syracuse it was just a normal snack stand...
Metlife5.jpg
...You also usually would get to see the coaches postgame press conference from the club if this was an NFL game...
Metlife6.jpg
...But you do get to "go on the field" (read: an outdoor patio area behind the benches), which was kind of cool.
metlife9.jpg
...and last but not least, you would get to see the players come out of the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo room
Metlife7.jpg
Oh, and this happened too. Definitely not something I am used to visiting from California!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

It's not a New York football experience without a fight between drunks.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 pm

fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo room

Now that's kinky.

Postby Jew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Got to love our word filters! :lol:

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 am

Yeah, Metlife looks pretty uninspiring for the most part, and I bet the atmosphere for a college game in that NFL Stadium was pretty dull.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 am

^Depends on the teams, I think. Navy/Notre Dame is occasionally held at the Raven's stadium, and it's almost as good as watching at game at ND.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random