Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 21: Amalie arena
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 pm

With the hot trend on TPR being on-going TR threads, I figured I would add mine to the fray with sporting events. Aside from being a die-hard USC fan and supporting the other local teams (Dodgers, Lakers, Kings), I just enjoy going to sporting events in general. I love seeing all the different arenas/stadiums and the services they provide (I generally like to "pretend to be rich" and buy premium seats off of stubhub/craigslist/scalpers), and being able to watch great players no matter what team they play for.

I'll get things started with photos from the 2007 TPR Japan trip...

One night while bored in Fukouka, I noticed that our hotel was within a train ride and small walk from the Yahoo! dome. The nice lady at the front desk translated the schedule, and sure enough...there was a game that night. So off we (sadly, I was stuck with Ryan that night) went.

Index:
Page 1---Japanese Baseball Yahoo! Dome & Tokyo Dome
Page 2---Dodger Stadium Dugout Club
Page 3---Camelback Ranch (Dodger's Spring
Training)

Page 4---Courtside @ LA Clippers Game @ Staples Center
Page 6---Miami Heat game @ American Airlines Arena
Page 7---USC in the Rose Bowl x 3
Page 7---Petco Park
Page 8---AT&T Stadium in Dallas (Jerryworld)
Page 8---Ranger's Ballpark in Arlington
Page 9---Galen Center @ USC
Page 9---Suite @ Staples Center
Page 10---Staples Center VIP Level
Page 10---Shark Tank in San Jose
Page 11---AT&T Park in San Francisco
Page 13---Citi Field
Page 13---Metlife Field
Page 14---The Pond
Page 15---Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas
Page 15---Amway Center
Page 15---Levi Stadium (PAC-12 Championship game)
Page 16---More Rangers Ballpark
Page 18---Husky Stadium (University of Washington)
Page 18---Moda Center in Portland
Page 18—-Fenway Park
Page 19---T-mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Page 20—-London Olympic stadium
Page 20—-Chase field
Page 20---Oakland Alameda Coliseum
Page 21—-Amalie arena
IMG_8414.jpg
After a short train ride and a 10 minute walk, we had found the place!
IMG_8415.jpg
We really had no idea where our exact seats were, but this was the view from our $10 ticket section.
IMG_8418.jpg
The scoreboard reminds us where we are
IMG_8419.jpg
Even the visitors had an organized cheering section
IMG_8424.jpg
Japanese baseball fans are HARDCORE. Imagine the craziest college student section you've ever seen, then multiply it by 100x, and you get the "cheering section." They had cheers for every batter and situation. They're so hardcore they made me blur my photo.
IMG_8434.jpg
The main reason why Japanese baseball rules: Asian chicks with keg backpacks bringing $5 beer to you!
IMG_8450.jpg
Any stadium with a 7th inning stretch that features a giant inflatable coke can popping up from behind center field is OK in my book.
IMG_8453.jpg
They also had the obligatory wacky mascot dancing
IMG_8455.jpg
Obligatory random action shot
Last edited by Jew on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:38 pm.

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

That stadium reminds me of Olympic Stadium where the Expo's used to play.
--Allen

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:23 pm

^ I was just gonna say that.

Awesome stuff Joey. I'm like you, I love going to see sporting events, even though I don't get to enough.

I was so wanting to go to a Cubs game when we were in Chicago last year, but stupid family stuff got in the way.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 pm

"Bored in Japan"!?!?! WTF?!!?

Better wording next time, and hopefully no more getting stuck with Ryan! ;)

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Bored definitely wasn't the right term. That more accurately described the state of mind I was in at school when writing the TR.

I should have said "No one else was interested in going (everyone else went to dinner that night), so I got stuck with Ryan."

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Jew wrote:Bored definitely wasn't the right term. That more accurately described the state of mind I was in at school when writing the TR.

I should have said "No one else was interested in going (everyone else went to dinner that night), so I got stuck with Ryan."

Hey, we all got stuck babysitting. It was your turn.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby 65skylark » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Awesome pictures Joey! Most sports are more fun to watch live, but none so much so a baseball.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 pm

The U.S. could use more inflatable stuff for the 7th Inning Stretch in ballparks here. The one at Dodger Stadium would say, "Thank you for coiming...drive safely" because people start leaving then! :lmao:

This looked pretty cool, though.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Here's the rest of the photos from the 2007 TPR Japan trip...

For my second Japanese baseball experience, we (Dan, Jeff, and Non German Tom) went to the "world famous" Tokyo Dome. The Yomiuri Giants are like the Yankees of Japan (not to be confused with the Giants of MLB, who suck A$$), so we were told to get our tickets in advance as all their games are sell outs.

The stadium itself was pretty underwhelming...the coolest part was them deciding to open a side door for us while exiting, which being inside a pressurized building meant it felt like being shot out of canon (having not been to any of the air-supported dome in the U.S., this was a surprise)...

If you are a baseball fan in Japan during the Japan League season, I highly recommend making time to check out a game. It's very different than MLB, with all the fans really into the game and the emphasis more on small ball/fundamentals. I used the website www.japanball.com to do research and buy tickets.

Sticking with baseball, next up will be a Dodgers vs. Braves game from the Dugout Club seats.

Here's a video of the visiting team (Hiroshima Carp) cheering section. Unlike sports in the U.S. the cheering sections were totally respectful of each other and didn't try to interrupt or anything. It was weird! The video was taken from my digital camera, so the audio quality sort of sucks.

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

Now on to the photos...
IMG_8041.jpg
Welcome to Tokyo Dome City, home of the Tokyo Dome and some roller coasters
IMG_9707.jpg
This is the view $50 gets you
IMG_9716.jpg
The visitors cheering section
IMG_9731.jpg
Of all the teams to steal your name from, why did they have to pick THAT one? On the bright side, these Giants have actually bothered to win a few titles since 1954... (The home team cheering section was the entire right field bleacher section)
IMG_9703.jpg
Random shot of the outfield
IMG_9704.jpg
The best shot we could get of the view from behind home plate. They were worse than Dodger Stadium when it comes to being in places you don't belong...
IMG_9733.jpg
The scoreboard
IMG_9730.jpg
The bullpen area
IMG_8967.jpg
Random bonus photo: the exterior of the Nagoya Dome. Dan and I missed seeing a game here by about an hour.

They Broke The Mold When They Made Me, Thank God!

Postby ChrisZer0 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:05 am

Joey, excellent TR man, I dig the Japanese Baseball Fan, as they're loyal to their team, eventhough they win or lose...Unlike the MLB in the US, j-ball encourages the noisesticks and the rowdy fan. Just curious, did ya put away a bowl of noodles while ya watched the game??

Next

Return to Random, Random, Random