Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Postby RCT3Bross » Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Read your review Robb. Even if our opinions are different (like I told earlier here I liked it) I was glad to read a constructive comment telling me why you didn't like it, most complaints I heard and read where basically: "The Movie is Dumb why didn't Thanos just create more food." (<-- for those who wonder this, Thanos tried to safe his home world without an all powerful glove so the only thing he could come up with was to kill half the people. When he gets exiled or wanders off to an other planted and sees the same happening he might have enforced his believe and saw it work. Meaning by the time he learned about these all powerful stones he could safe the galaxy with a snap. Creating food never crosses the characters mind thanks to that.) Or "This movie didn't show Xandar (or some other random not important stuff), bad movie." So it's nice to read someone that can reconstruct the movie and you brought up some points I agree with.

First you claim this movie should have just been named Infinity War. 100% agree, there is nothing "Avengers" about it. I believe midway through productions they realized that it was a Thanos movie and by that time they already announced the title as Avengers Infinity War and didn't dare to change that. The Avengers where cut down to 2 and a half (Tony, Vision, Rhody) in the movie and added one (Peter P) later. Steve had his team that kind of walks into the same bar same as the Guardians. Then we have the wild-cards (Strange, Banner, T'Chala and gang, Thor) and these are then shared into 3 sub groups over the movie.

I thought the movie really was by fans for fans. A casual MCU fan would not have had the proper investment in the universe for this movie. It was an event, a celebration of 10 years of movies, that is why people who had the proper investments (having watched all 18 movies before it and really knew the characters) lose their minds in this movie. All these people understand that yes these characters come back but still felt that knife driving in their backs. I totally understand (because I kind of felt the same) that casual fans are like: "This is dumb they will come back in Avengers 4."
This is why for myself I group them as: 3 are actually dead, 1 is in the Soul Stone alive, the others are in limbo, neither death or alive.

Even though I liked the movie as a whole, there where several things I didn't like in this movie. Black Order goes out like their jokes. When Maw took off I thought: "Wait what? He comes back right?" A minute later "So no? Dead like that? Okay." When Proxima told Black Widow Corvus was death I believed her, when he was revealed to be alive all I could think of was "Meh". Also Wong is a terrible friend, "Oh my mate is captured got to protect this tower. I don't care about the universe." The Wong one is a minor complaint to be honest but still made me hate the character. Also the movie felt predictable while sometimes I liked that (Like Star Lord punching Thanos) Because it shows how well we can get inside these characters heads, Some times (Gamora knowing location of Soul Stone.) I felt they could have keep us more in suspense.

The movie had me on the edge of my seat wondering how this play came to an end. That was all I wanted it to do, All I want for 4 is to give me a satisfying play of events doing what we already know it will do. Call me a simple man but yeah, as long as I feel entertained I'm okay with all movies.

I also want to add a little rant as it's also fuel on the current discussion.
I really hate the fact that movie studios now have 6, 7 movies already announced and subbed named known to the fans. People really seem to take that information with them when watching a movie meaning twist can easily fall out wrong as people will atomically cling to those. IW is another victim of this. The snap feels easily pointless thanks to that. And Marvel isn't the only studio to suffer that problem.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Just to hammer home the point about the characters not really being dead, Gamora already came back. After the snap, there was the scene with Thanos in what I'm assuming is the "Soul World" from the comics (full disclosure - never read them, just read online synopses). Gamora as a little girl asks Thanos if he had done it, and what was the cost. Granted it might not actually be Gamora, or the Soul World, but it's meant to drive home the point about things not exactly being what they seem.

In the end, it's a comic book movie comprised of fictional characters. Why people become so emotionally invested in them is a mystery to me, but that's what major fandoms to do people, or what people do with fandoms. Either one. Why people care about sports is a similar mystery. I've never felt like my life centers around who wins a game, nor have I ever felt the need to beg a deity to ensure a certain outcome. Many fanatics are bizarre, and occasionally dangerous. Theme park fandom has its share of the irrationally passionate type as well.

At the end of Infinity War, it was all I could do to not yell out "There's going to be a Part 2 next year people! Relax!!!"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Look this movie, Avengers, was not made to win any awards to be honest. It isn't going to cure cancer. I thought it was entertaining but it does have some flaws. Let's be honest none of these guys are dead because are they really killing off Black Panther after how well that movie did. Same with Spider Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. I do think that the Guardian of the Galaxy characters made sense being in the movie because of the interaction between Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Thanos (Josh Brolin). Plus someone had to ruin it when they had Thanos. Pratt made sense. I was interested to see how they got all of these characters in one movie. It could have been worse. I felt they actually did a fairly good job with getting them screen time and developing the characters. The ones that were lacking seem to be the black panther characters.

I am not a comic guy at all and I have only seen some of these movies. I have enjoyed the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and Robert Downey is pretty good in the Iron Man movies, but I must admit I have seen the first two Thor movies and they were quite painful to watch. This film kept my interest for the 2 and half hours and I feel invested to watch the next one. Do I think it will be my favorite movie this summer, no not even close. But was it worth me checking out before I saw all of the spoilers- Yes. I watched it just this past weekend.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby p-sychiatrist » Sat May 19, 2018 12:03 am

lord denning wrote:It's an audacious attempt to replicate the 'annual' comic book where characters crossover and interact. Expect instead of drawing a few more characters you are inserting millions of dollars in movie star salaries!

Those comics were also imperfect with different writers and artists trying to shoehorn their characters together but as a reader they were super fun and something to look forward to seeing every few years. In those comics the good guys always fought each other so you could debate 'who would win in a fight'.

This description nails exactly what Infinity War is and why I wasn't too crazy about it. I should clarify that while I agree with Robb's points and have my own critiques, I still enjoyed the movie. It just didn't come close to living up to all the hype it had imo. While everyone on social media and my friends unanimously agree "OMG MASTERPIECE!" i left the theater feeling a bit let down. Maybe that's because I was never a huge fan of these huge crossover events in the comics. I much prefer the in-depth storytelling of comics that focus on a single hero or a smaller team (F4, Bat Family, Watchmen, etc.).

RCT3Bross wrote:I also want to add a little rant as it's also fuel on the current discussion.
I really hate the fact that movie studios now have 6, 7 movies already announced and subbed named known to the fans. People really seem to take that information with them when watching a movie meaning twist can easily fall out wrong as people will atomically cling to those. IW is another victim of this. The snap feels easily pointless thanks to that. And Marvel isn't the only studio to suffer that problem.

YES!! ^ so much this. Giving Spidey a longer death scene than Gamora or Loki feels pointless when you already know the day his sequel drops!! Marvel isn't the only studio doing it and it really takes away from the suspense or surpise that film series used to offer. Unfortunately it's become an essential part of marketing these super hero/sci-fi movies. Endless previews, press tours, comic con announcements, etc. it doesn't seem like that trend will stop :roll:
TOP PARKS: Tokyo DisneySea, Knoebels, Disneyland, Holiday World, PortAventura, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
TOP COASTERS: Phantom's Revenge, Phoenix, The Voyage, El Toro, T-Express, X2
TOP DARK RIDES: Journey To The Center of the Earth (TDS), Indiana Jones Adventure (DL), Splash Mountain (TDL), Pirates of the Caribbean (DL), Tower of Terror (WDW), Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (TDS), Spider-Man (IOA), Haunted Mansion (DL & Knoebels)

WORLD'S #1 LOG FLUME ENTHUSIAST

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Tonight TPR was invited to see Solo - A Star Wars Story for a press preview of the film. As TPR's resident Star Wars uber-fanatic (look at my username), I was thrilled to be able to see this film a few days early!

Solo is the second in a series of the "A Star Wars Story" films behind the first film, Rogue One. The intention with this series has been to present films in periods outside of the events already shown in previous films. In the case of Solo, the film focuses almost entirely on the formative years of Han Solo's late youth, amidst the turmoil of the rise of the Empire. Along the way Han picks up a band of thieves with which he learns to hone his skills as a pilot and a smuggler.

In some ways, Solo is a heist film with an assembled crew, each with their own purpose or speciality. The film borrows from the old style Westerns for a new scenario midway though. The film is accessible to those that aren't as well versed in the Star Wars canon (the new canon and not the Legends stories) but features lots of nods, direct references and even a few not-so-subtle reveals that only add to a fan's ability to enjoy the film. Solo is at times slow paced and predictable despite being a sci-fi action adventure... That being said, the movie provides a great deal of exciting fan service including one moment featuring an entirely unexpected character's appearance that made the whole audience gasp (I'll give you a hint... It isn't Jar Jar Binks.).

Written by father-and-son Lawrence (who worked on the original films) and Jake Kasdan, Solo starts with Han making ends meet on his Empire-ridden homeworld of Corellia (a major location in the Star Wars Legends canon) where we quickly learn of Solo's ambitions to leave the planet, see the galaxy and become its best pilot. Fate presents an opportunity, albeit an unexpected one (if you weren't familiar with Han's backstory before) for him to leave the planet, which a few years later in the service of his new employer, he runs into a band of smugglers that will change his life forever.

The scope of Solo is significantly smaller than any of the other films. The movie is contained to only a few worlds, but the set pieces and events that take place in these limited locales are great, especially the futuristic train robbery that has been seen in the film's trailers. Solo had a troubled production with original directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller departing the film due to a difference in creative vision with the Kasdans and Kathleen Kennedy. What followed was the prompt installation of Ron Howard (who had many years earlier rejected an offer from George Lucas to direct The Phantom Menace) as the new director. It is believed that over 75% of the film was reshot to better match the intended tone and story beats that had been defined by the Lucasfilm collective. It is indistinguishable when the former directors' work was onscreen compared to what was reshot under Howard's direction.

The bottom line is, Solo - A Star Wars Story is not the best Star Wars film in existence, nor does it crack the top five. But what this film does accomplish is a presentation of scenes long referenced in the original films and extended universe that fans will no doubt be eager to see now that they have the chance. The film may not be strong enough from a story perspective to justify its own existence, but the cast carries their characters in good performances that make the slow pace and the long runtime more easy to swallow. Alden Ehrenreich makes Han Solo his own while still portraying the Han that we know Harrison Ford's portrayal ends up showing. Donald Glover accomplishes the same with Lando Calrissian, in a performance that has already stirred buzz to suggest that this character will get their on solo film in the near future. Woody Harrelson, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton and Jon Favreau all offer serviceable performances but with the exception of Harrelson and Clarke, they are given much smaller roles than the trailers would have you believe. There are also a swath of cameos of characters that have appeared in past Star Wars films (some more recent than others) that viewers should keep an eye out for. As a fan of Star Wars, this film does enrich the overall narrative but the more casual viewers may take fault in how little the film does to further the story beyond what has already been alluded to or flat out expressed in past. And for anyone that believes that Lucasfilm is pushing viewers to forget about the prequel trilogy, this film will have more than enough to remind you of the three films that take place before this one (some things more obvious than others). This is a movie with a lot of fan service that will excite even the more casual of fans because it shows onscreen some major moments that many have dreamed about visualizing for years. It is definitely at least worth seeing once, if not on the big screen, then afterwards when the film comes out on Blu-Ray and Digital.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Mon May 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Was the promo screening in 3D? The trade screening last week wasn't 3D, so I didn't bother going.
Original Maverick '99

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 am

^The screening wasn't in 3D, but that wouldn't be enough to stop me from seeing a new Star Wars movie... I'm a big believer in the value of 3-D in the theater (though I know I'm among the few left) but this is one movie that I'm not sure would have benefited much from a post-conversion. The imagery is more often dark than light, and the on-screen focus is more close-up than in the other films. There are a few larger set pieces but depth isn't something that I think this film would benefit from as much as Rogue One or The Last Jedi did.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 am

I gave Traffik a shot because its based on semi true events and I am a sucker for movies like that. Plus. I have Movie Pass so $10 a month for a movie every day is not bad. For what it is, it was a decent movie. Some shots seemed cheaply filmed but the acting was decent and the overall story was good. To get a glimpse of what the human trafficking world is like was kinda eye opening for me.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:The imagery is more often dark than light, and the on-screen focus is more close-up than in the other films.

Good to know. I've really enjoyed the space/cosmic type films in 3D (Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity) because of the expanse they give to those scenes. If this movie is really more grounded and personal, I can see where that value would be lost. Thanks.
Original Maverick '99

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Dead Pool 2

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Coarse, bloody, dismemberment-a-plenty......it was a wild raucous ride for us.

And it - was - fun, too. :b :b Reynolds is a genius in this role. The writers are, too. Everybody's a genius!

And sooo many Canada references (including into the end credits, so hold on for a bit more), :lover: Ryan.
With all of the Big Action Heroes/Villains Etc. Movies coming out now, this was better to watch than another
of those others. I laughed more than I have at any Marvels film, in a long long time. More than Thor/Ragnorok, too.

See it on the big screen, and watch out for the blood here and there. And lots of TONS of swearing. And DC dissing.

9/10 PopCorn Bags

(And remember to look to the right, early on, for your Stan Lee fix, ok?)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random